Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Jeff and we have a '13 SE Nav with the bi xenon headlamps

Problem is the main beam seems to be cross-eyed and too low. They are hitting the road one above the other. We live in a somewhat rural area and I have to be able to see the road ahead properly.

There must be some mechanical way of mechanically adjusting the basic aim but I cannot see what or where it is.
Please help?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spoke to the car lamp bulb guy at Halfords. He thought he would be able to but then found they were bi-xenon and reckons they can only be adjusted by the dealership with special tools. There are adjuster screws but they're buried inside. Ho hum ...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yup, it's a dealer function.

The owners manual also states:

"On vehicles with Xenon headlights, the headlight range is adjusted automatically based on vehicle load. If control indicator illuminates in the instrument cluster while driving, a fault has occurred. Have the cause of the fault remedied immediately by a workshop".

Bummer, all the way to the dealer just to have the bloody lights tweaked!

-LaZ-

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine were low when we got it so just adjusted them.you can use a Philips screw drive but be careful not to damage the plastic adjuster screw. They are like teeth on a wheel but will turn with the screw driver.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keeff said:
Mine were low when we got it so just adjusted them.you can use a Philips screw drive but be careful not to damage the plastic adjuster screw. They are like teeth on a wheel but will turn with the screw driver.
Keef, thanks, where is this mystery plastic screw head?

Mine are the bi-xenon and seem to be like totally sealed.
The self-levelling system works fine but the basic aim is out by a few degrees, mainly on the RHS lamp. I need the main beam up a notch and I like to see the whole width of the road on main. Apart from anything else we have kamikaze deer, sometimes cattle.

I can wield a screwdriver without self mutilation and would like to have a go myself.
Where are these mysterious screw heads?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have trouble up loading photos.
If you look a long the top of the light ( bonnet open ) you will see a black plastic hole about 10 mm look down inside it and you will see the White plastic wheel with teeth. Drop the screw driver down through the hole and turn the wheel. Cannot remember which way is up or down
If you have a email I could send you a photo.

Keith

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keeff said:
I have trouble up loading photos.
If you look a long the top of the light ( bonnet open ) you will see a black plastic hole about 10 mm look down inside it and you will see the White plastic wheel with teeth. Drop the screw driver down through the hole and turn the wheel. Cannot remember which way is up or down
If you have a email I could send you a photo.

Keith
Ah yes, found it, marked U-D towards the wing each side. I thought they were locator/mounting holes until I wiped them. The arrow indicates direction to turn. All is clear, as mud ...

Now I need a long straight deserted dark road to set them up. Fortunately the Romans left us a few around here :)
It won't be tonight because I've been invited to take her out for dinner.

Now, is there a similar left-right screw?
I wonder where that is?

·
Registered
213 Posts
So you've invited your lady out for 'dinner' and you're planning to drive down a long dark road and 'set-up your headlights', during which time they'll no doubt require the odd flash of main beam ..
Isn't that called Dogging?

-LaZ-

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have now found the L-R about a hand span inside the U-D, cunningly written in black on black.

The correct tool is probably something like a Torx but with four grooves. Normal Torx do not fit.
Posidriv do not fit because they have an extra ridge
A No.2 Philips doesn't fit.
A No.1 Philips works but is not a good fit, if the tip is too pointy (like a new one) it can't engage the cog, and it needs a long shaft.

Both main beams were coming together one below the other on the roadway whereas mains are supposed to be parallel and level to the road. I dislike collecting venison.

I've tweaked them so now I need to bumble around to see if it is effective, and still dips correctly.

Edited by: jefrs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.