Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Antara and the wipers stopped parking properly. There is an easy fix that costs nothing and needs no parts. It takes about half an hour to 45 minutes to fix. The steps are as follows.

1. Open the bonnet.
2. Remove the wipers arms, 14mm socket needed. (You may also need a small puller to get the arms off.
3. Remove the plastic cover below the windscreen. About 8 plastic trim screws hold this on.
4. Remove the 4 bolts holding the wiper motor and linkage in place.
5. Disconnect the wiring connector about 8 inches to right of motor.
6 Remove the whole motor/linkage assembly from the car.

You now have a choice to do a quick fix or a thorough fix.

The quick fix is to turn the assembly over so the black plastic case of the motor is facing you with the entry point of the wires into the motor to the top. Now loosen the Torx screw on the plastic case to the right of the wires. Tighten and loosen this screw 6 times and then tighten again and then refit to the car.

The thorough option is to remove the plastic case from motor. After you remove the case screws you will need to keep working at prising the case off with a small screwdriver as the case is also glued on with a sealant. Don't go mad or you will break the case. Keep working at it and it will come off.

Once it's off, turn the plastic case over. Around one of the screw holes you will see a ring of metal. This will be corroded. Clean it up and also clean the part of the metal casing it touches. Now refit the plastic cover. You will need to push in the micro switch lever on the inside face of the cover as you refit the cover. A small screwdriver or thin steel rule is ideal for this. Once the cover screws are back in then refit everything to the car.

You have just saved yourself several hundred pounds!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Had the same problem on mine, did the above but didn't work! Further inspection found the micro switch was not working properly.

To test you will need a multimeter and set to ohms or buzz. Test across the ring as mentioned in previous post and the left contact on the switch. When the switch is pressed you should get a circuit either a buzz sound or a reading in ohms. It may be worth while giving it a spray with Wd40 or contact cleaner. Make sure when you press the switch in, the arm doesn't have to be pushed all the way down to make the circuit, if so put a slight bend in the arm(be careful you don't want to break it) put a slight bend upwards. Test several times to prove operation. Then reassemble in reverse order, (dont forget to depress the micro switch (use small steel rule or an hacksaw blade)Only cost me £15 for a new puller as mine wouldn't grip on the wiper arm.
Hopefully it will pass its MOT next month now.
If in the stoke area I would be more than happy to help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So my DIY repair lasted 1 month, then stopped working 1 day after MOT, which was lucky. I took the motor out again and the micro switch has now failed. £4.53 for new switch on ebay. A new motor from Vauxhall is £200 inc VAT. Search ebay for V4NST7 you should see Saia-Burgess Microswitch. Just ordered today. Will solder it in when it arrives. I will post again to let you all know how I got on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally found time to fix this. I got a new micro switch off ebay for £4.56. Soldered it in today. Took about an hour and a half. Worked a treat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problems at all. Use pliers and iron to remove solid wire and bend it out of the way. Then heat other connection and pull switch away from motor when solder melts. I cut off unused 3rd connector from new switch with side cutters and filed smooth. Swap lever onto new switch and then solder into place. When I refitted the plastic case I sealed it with silicone grease I bought a while ago from Maplin.Edited by: Timbo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Same has happened to me, tried cleaning it and it didn't work, so next step is to fit a new microswitch, hopefully that will do the trick , will let you know after i have done it .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Finally got round to changing the microswitch, all went well and no problems, it now works as it should.
Fingers crossed as it's got it's MOT next week.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top