Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 19" alloys on my antara se nav. I am thinking that I will buy a complete spare set of wheels/tyres for winter use. Does anyone know what will fit please ?

·
Registered
782 Posts
myjamfactory said:
I have 19" alloys on my antara se nav. I am thinking that I will buy a complete spare set of wheels/tyres for winter use. Does anyone know what will fit please ?
The officially recommended winter tyre size for the Antara is 215/70R16 fitted to an appropriate 16 inch wheel. This size of wheel/tyre is also useful if you want to buy something to use as a spare instead of the can of goo that comes with the car.

This is what it looks like.

There's nothing to stop you buying another full set of Alloy wheels, if you have the money. Or just buying a set of winter tyres and changing them when appropriate. A lot of tyre places will store your unused tyres when not in use, although there may be a small fee for storage.

You could even do what I have done and fit a set of all seasons tyres so you don't have to change any wheels or tyres in the winter. I fitted a set of Dunlop Grandtrek Touring A/S 235/50 R19 99H.

Good luck with your choice.

Edited by: Inchindown

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
The same size tyre as you already have on your Antara but you will find they are very expensive. The cheaper option which a few of the guys on here have done would be to buy a second hand set of 17 or 18" alloys from an old or exclusive Antara or Captiva and buy winter tyres to fit them and you will find they are much cheaper plus you don't have the expence of having to keep swapping tyres.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Inchdown
Where did you get your steel wheels and tyres from. I have a SE Sat nav with 19 inch wheels. I live in the north of scotland

·
Registered
782 Posts
alfiethedog said:
Hi Inchdown
Where did you get your steel wheels and tyres from. I have a SE Sat nav with 19 inch wheels. I live in the north of scotland

Welcome to the forum.

I only bought onesteel wheel to use as a spare wheel. I got it from my VX dealer, Mackays ofDingwall. This is the one I bought. I also got them to fit an oppropriate tyre to the wheel.

http://www.vauxhallsuperstore.co.uk/product/Antara_16%22_Steel_Wheel%2C_6.5J_X_16_VX-96838162

Instead of buying a full set of winter wheels and tyres, I changed the tyres which were supplied with the car fora set of four 19 inch Dunlop Grandtrek AllSeasonsTyres. I bought those from Goodtread Tyre Fitters in Alness.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The rim Inchindown has bought is the same as the one I have. Got it from my VX dealer. I was cheeky and asked if there was any discount as I had bought my car from them ...... I got 10% off

·
Registered
782 Posts
alfiethedog said:
Thanks guys wil this rim be ok for my 19 inch wheels and if I use it as a spare does it fit in the boot. Thanks again
Yes, it is almost exactly the same diameter as the 19 inch wheel/tyre. It fits perfectly in the boot, but you have to remove the centre section of the boot insert which contains the puncture repair kit.

You may also need to buy a jack, wheel brace and retaining screw to hold the spare in position.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have purchased a set of Captiva 16" wheels on ebay and intend to fit 215/70 winter tyres. Does anyone have any thoughts on quality and price? Falken HS439 are on sale at £80 each or does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I'm pretty sure IainM has Falken winter tyres and rates them highly.

You could try and send him a message to see what he thinks although I'm sure he's touring Europe with his caravan just now and may not get back to you for a week or two.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Inchindown said:
alfiethedog said:
Hi Inchdown

Welcome to the forum.

I only bought one steel wheel to use as a spare wheel. I got it from my VX dealer, Mackays of Dingwall. This is the one I bought. I also got them to fit an oppropriate tyre to the wheel.

http://www.vauxhallsuperstore.co.uk/product/Antara_16%22_Steel_Wheel%2C_6.5J_X_16_VX-96838162

Instead of buying a full set of winter wheels and tyres, I changed the tyres which were supplied with the car for a set of four 19 inch Dunlop Grandtrek All Seasons Tyres. I bought those from Goodtread Tyre Fitters in Alness.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi just ordered the steel rim 6.5J x16. Vx recommend fitting a 225/70-16 for 19inch wheels. Does any one know if this combination fits under the boot with out any modifications.

·
Registered
782 Posts
alfiethedog said:
Hi just ordered the steel rim 6.5J x16. Vx recommend fitting a 225/16 for 19inch wheels. Does any one know if this combination fits under the boot with out any modifications.
The wheel will fit ok but you will have to remove the centre section of the foam insert. Just in case you forgot, remember you will need to get a jack as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts