Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning
Just been driving into work and my wipers starting going funny, the driver side decided to stay up right and the passenger side stayed down. Took a few minutes to correct it self but now i only have one wiper working which is the driver side (lucky for me). The passenger side has now gone floppy!! I think there is a metal plate which attatches to the bottom of the wipers and thats what has failed. I dont know if its broken or just wobbled loose. So iv booked my car in for a look on friday and i am hoping they will fix the problem quickly or ill be driving around with one wiper working. I am know worried the driver one will fail too.

This is my fourth problem in two years of ownership!!! i really hope this is the last

Has anyone had the same problem?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a quick update if anyone is interested.Been to the garage on friday, was told the wind screen wipers are broken and will need to get the part to fix it which is now on back order??
So at the minute i am in an enterprise car (insignia) Its a lovely car!! its deffinatly growing on me!
How long is a back order part going to take???

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know about the frozen north but around here parts arrive next day or even same day.

I mentioned I would like some fluffy mats for the car, when I popped in to order them en passant, he'd already got them for me. I think you can figure out why I go back there ...

I've had wipers go before, it's probably a nylon ball and socket that has let go, common fault on any make. You should not need the entire assembly motor and all but just the 'rack' but .... Generally a complete pita to remove and fit. Due to the fitting problem it may well be cheaper on labour to fit the full unit.

For Example: rubber bushes and suspension arms c/w bushes. The bushes are
dirt cheap but take 4 hours faffing around to fit and the complete unit
is middling-pricey but only takes half an hour (plus it works right
first time). The cheapo option bushes become a false economy.

The cause in my case on two/three occasions wiper arm failure has not been the ball and socket per se but the phos-bronze bushing for the wiper arm seizing due to lack of grease, the extra force needed to turn it makes the ball and socket wear and pop apart.
These never get lubricated on service, so if you fancy a little diy, pop the wiper arm off the shaft and get some CL grease (waterproof) down there. With the fixing nut off the shaft you usually get enough wiggle room for some grease. If it has ever been hit with WD40 then there will be no grease in the bearing. Don't use the white spray grease, that is mostly lithium stearate soap. The nylon ball joints may appreciate a squirt of silicone grease or some Vaseline. Failing that put the drop of oil from the end of the dipstick into the shaft (or anywhere else that would like a drop of decent oil)

Edited by: jefrs

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well another update.
I got my Antara back and was advised they had to replace my front window as the original wasnt put in properly and when the garage was fiddling with the car they cracked the original!! so my windscreen wipers are now working and i have a brand new windscreen. BUT as i drove away from the garage heading home i used my sprays to clean my windscreen and they now dont work very well. They seem like they have no pressure so they dribble!!
So i thought they just need to be adjusted which i did try but they still not working properly! so been on to the garage and asked why they dont work since they did before the work was done. I didnt get an answer to this other than book the car in to see whats happened!
So the car is going back on the 16/12 to get this now sorted.

So iv had enough of this and rang the vauxhall customer service line to complain. I felt like their apitude to my problems was bad!! The person just did not care and was just blunt.
What do i do?? The garage wants the car back for a half day as they have to strip the front to get to the sprays and hopefully fix them, but thats more time off the road.
Also to put salt in the wounds i asked if they just sort it out on saturday (surly its not that difficult to do) o no the garage only open till 12 and they wont have technician to fix a fault they have made!
Some times i think i should just get rid of the Antara and get something else but i like the car just dont like Vauxhall customer service!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had the same problem with the washer jets when my screen was replaced . The problem was caused by them kinking the rubber pipe where it passes into the bulkhead on the right hand side . I found auto windscreens very disinterested when I rang to complain and ended up fixing it myself . I did notice the tube was held in place by 2 pieces of masking tape by the age of the strips it looked like this was done at the factory ?! I would try jiggling the rubber tube or twisting it slightly before doing anything else , otherwise you have to take the wiper arms off remove the rubber trim and top section of the scuttle tray to get at the pipe work not particularly hard to do but just a bit of a stretch to reach .

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rd57chad said:
I've had the same problem with the washer jets when my screen was replaced . The problem was caused by them kinking the rubber pipe where it passes into the bulkhead on the right hand side . I found auto windscreens very disinterested when I rang to complain and ended up fixing it myself . I did notice the tube was held in place by 2 pieces of masking tape by the age of the strips it looked like this was done at the factory ?! I would try jiggling the rubber tube or twisting it slightly before doing anything else , otherwise you have to take the wiper arms off remove the rubber trim and top section of the scuttle tray to get at the pipe work not particularly hard to do but just a bit of a stretch to reach .
Ah thats great ill have a look at that tomorrow, i thought they may have done that and its just very annoyng especially when i want to clear my windscreen and i get a dribble through the jets or its just very weak spray.
So i need to have a look at the pipe on the right hand side??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes as you stand infront of the car looking at the windscreen look on the right hand side of the bulkhead you will see where the pipe passes through , it's got to be worth giving it a wiggle forwards and backwards you may be able to free it off without stripping it down . Allow 1/2 an hour if you do need to strip it down , make sure the wipers are parked in the correct position before dismantling the wiper arms , remove the rubber and plastic air vent ( from memory it splits in 2 pieces ) . Pretty straight forward just annoying that auto windscreens fitter didn't have much 'attention to detail' when finishing off putting in the windscreen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.