Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Drivingmad said:
I think I had one today - fan on, smell. At 400 miles.
I've had 9 regens in 5000 miles and have never had any smells while they were happening.

Due another one tomorrow.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Unless you doing stop start journeys you will get no light - drive the car, enjoy it and let the regens do their thing!

·
Registered
782 Posts
vexorg said:
Just over 500miles now, will keep an eye out for the light
You wont get a light for a regen at around 500 miles. The light only comes on if the car does not complete several normal regen attempts.

The normal indications that a regen is taking place are your instant MPG falls considerably, your coasting MPG goes to around 70 instead of 999.9 and your idling Gals PerHour goes to around 0.7 instead of 0.1 or 0.2.

Some people also get a smell of buring, but I never have. If you stop the car in the middle of a regen you may find the fan continues to run for some time. (Don't confuse this with compressor overrun from your Climate Control System).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hello InchindownI think I must have stopped the car in the middle of a regen. I only heard the fan after I had got out due to traffic noise. That's when I smelt "burning". How do you know to keep driving if your info display is set to phone or radio - you cannot then read "mpg". Is it harmful to stop in the middle of a regen?

·
Registered
782 Posts
vexorg said:
Drivingmad said:
Is it harmful to stop in the middle of a regen?

I thought the book said the light would flash during regen, and there is a warning of serious engine damage if you stop during regen.
This is what the manual says.

If
cleaning of the filter is required and previous driving conditions did not
enable automatic cleaning, it will be indicated by control indicator.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

illuminates
when diesel particle filter is full. Start cleaning process as soon as
possible.

flashes
when diesel particle filter has reached the maximum filling level. Start
cleaning process immediately to avoid damage to the engine.
So the light only comes on when the normal regen cycle has failed on several attempts to clean the filter. This is usually due to doing a lot of stop/starting or very short journeys. It's only if you fail to act when the light comes on that you risk serious damage to the system.

Edited by: Inchindown

·
Registered
782 Posts
vexorg said:
My wife is just back from the school run saying the fan was still running when it was switched off and smells 'warm'.

Odd as we done 200+ miles on the motorway on saturday at 60-70mph. I thought that would have been enough to clean it out.
No amount of normal driving will clean out the DPF filter. It only gets cleaned when the car starts a regeneration cycle.

If you get too many interrupted regens, you will see the warning light telling you to complete a regen. If the warning light flashes, your filter is close to its maximum capacity and you need to complete a regen as soon as possible to prevent serious damage.

Pretty sure that replacing the DPF due to it not being cleaned is not covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss to do it on the fly. Like the revs have been over 1500 for 5 minutes, therefore we must be on a longer run, rather than on a short town run to school on a cold morning.

The whole things seems a bit silly, dont interrupt it while you dont know it's happening. I'd rather the light came to say drive like a hooligan for a few miles and then went off to say it's done.

Well, as it is, I'll ignore it until the light comes on then worry about it.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I have no idea when my first or last regen was because unless the light comes on I'm not going to worry about it. In 18 months so far its not been a problem. I really think people spend too much time worrying about them instead of enjoying the car.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My first I think was just over 400 miles, personally I would not worry and enjoy the good driving experience you have with this car, since the 400 miles I do not know how many regens My car has had, my car has done 4447 miles and is 5 months old. So just drive and enjoy it
Edited by: wilma08

·
Registered
179 Posts
I must have interrupted my first regen at 405 miles yesterdaybecause today I had another one. I had just come off the phone and the central display was showing the bars and network, so I turned it to show mpg. It was very low and when I lifted off it didn't go anywhere above 80mpg never mind 999.99mpg. I had two miles to go to my house so I thought I'd better keep going. It started at 507 miles on the odometer. I kept going - for 13 miles on the A68 until the regen stopped, and turned back for home - an extra 27 miles onto my journey. ARE YOU LISTENING VAUXHALL? In other words I literally went out of my way for 27 miles to protect the DPF. And then they have the audacity to blame the driver if it goes wonky! I take it the DPF is not covered by the warranty - it should be because obviously it is causing grief to a lot of folk. I think BBC Watchdog would be interested to put VAUXHALL UK on the spot. Lifetime Warranty and all that...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts