Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi as some of you are aware I am the proud owner of a shiny new white Antara. When I was looking to buy the car I contacted Vauxhall customer care warranty department to ask about the fitting of a non-Vauxhall towbar. I was told that my warranty would be forfeited if I was to fit such a device. I managed to get my dealer to fit a Vauxhall one as part of my deal. I do not know if the law is on Vauxhalls side but be aware. PS I checked up prior to fitting my JSG sidesteps I was told that I damaged the car eg. the paint that would make the paintwork warranty null envoyed. I did not tell the lady on the phone that there is only plastic mouldings at the mounting area.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got the same info as you from VX so I had a VX towbar fitted by the dealer although it's actually made by Thule.They told me that Irmscher side steps were OK but others could cause problems with warranty claims soI fitted Irmschers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My towbar is made by Chasys which according to the bar is a GM product. On picking uo my car I noticed that Thule bars were fitted to Insignias which were sitting on the forecourt. I checked the internet for Chasys towbars, I could find no trace.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I think Vauxhall are taking the p***.

I'm pretty sure they tell customers the warranty fib to scare everyone into getting stuff dealer fitted. What about the thousands of Antara owners who fitted their own tow bars will Vauxhall actually refuse to fix something under warranty just because they fitted another make of tow bar. If it issue is tow bar / electrics related fair enough they have a point.

Next you won't be able to fit your own mats without voiding the warranty. What about washing it. You might void the paint warranty if you wash it yourself!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
so if u have a puncture.vx advise u to use the shaving foam to get you out of trouble. so if you have another tyre fitted not by vx but another tyre supplier,as they say the tyre now being u s because it states that it is not repairable after you use the shaving foam. you have void your warranty because the tyre is not fitted by vx.
na this cant be right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I asked for a towbar on my new Antara SE (2013) and my dealer fitted a witter. The courtesy lights are no longer working automatically although I know its not the bulbs as I can switch them on/off manually. The light around the ignition also doesn;t come on anymore - a nuisance when it's dark having to feel around for the key slot. Dealing trying to fix but no luck after a full day. I'm sure they should have fitted a detachable towbar or at least a VX ecognised Thule one?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think VX just like to keep things in house forthe sake of profit,most VX dealers who fit tow bars actually do what you do when you want a towbar.... They call a local towbar fitter to come in and do the job,then charge you extra for the pleasure!

·
Registered
213 Posts
evo 370 said:
?... the fitting of a non-Vauxhall towbar.  I was told that my warranty would be forfeited if I was to fit such a device...
I don't believe vauxhall actually manufacture tow bars!? The bars tend to come from Thule, Witter or whom ever else they have sub-contracted that year. Honestly, VX customer services spout more sh*te than a farmer's muck spreader!

Seeing as my wheel dust caps are not VX original spec, is my warranty now void?

-LaZ-

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have fitted the towbar to my Antara purchased from PF Jones in Manchester along with a dedicated 7 pin wiring kit from Right Connections (they make all kits for all cars and models), both items including vat was < 150.00£. I asked our Vauxhall Dealer about fitting and was told they just contract out to a local fitter, as fitting Vauxhall parts is too expensive!!!.
The Tow bar is a swanneck Westfalia bar rated at 150 kgs, whereas most detachable or flange fitting towbars are about 75 - 100 kgs.
The electrics took literally 2 mins to fit and the towbar about 60 mins. Its the best car i have had recently for fitting a towbar too.
Think vauxhall wanted £650.00 fitted !!!!!!!!.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think you'll find ALL manufacturers use Thule tow bars. I had mine factory fitted (It was actually fitted at the dealer, a removable one) and had the 13pin towing socket fitted, all my caravan lights worked but the fridge wouldn't work. Spoke to the dealer and apparently I should have told them I wanted that wire to be fitted (They knew I was towing a caravan) and wanted another £345 to make it work! On top of the hugely over priced tow bar I'd already paid for
(Why the
would I have the 13 pin socket fitted if I only wanted seven pins connected for trailer lights)?

I wrote a scathing email to Vauxhall head office and low and behold the following day the dealer phoned to say they were fixing it free of charge as a goodwill offer....GOODWILL! Yeah right thieving

1 - 11 of 11 Posts