Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Following on from issues raised elsewhere regarding the advertised Antara tow bar accessory having a limit of 1300kg, I would be interested to know if anyone hasrecently purchasedone.
If so does the GM plate on the bar have a limit stamped on it or does any supplied literature state a limit?
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
My dealer fitted me a Thule detachable towbar with a 2000kg limit as the one you quote would be no good to me as I tow a caravan which has an all up weight of 1497kg and the Antara has a tow weight limit of 1700kg (auto) anyway, can't imagine why Vauxhall would put on a tow bar that can only take 1300kg.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tried to get a straight answer from Vauxhall but just running in circles with this standard reply. I have said i am happy that i Know the tow weights of my vehicle. But can they confirm whether the 1300Kg stated on their webpage is correct or a typo. So afraid will need someone with an Antara to contact them and see if an answer can be obtainedDear
Sir/Madam

Thank
you for your reply to my email received on the 11 October 2014 in regards to
your Vauxhall Antara.In
order for me to investigate your enquiry further please could you provide the
following:

Telephone
Number

Vehicle
Registration Number

Vehicle
Identification Number (VIN)

Once
this has been received I will be able to look into the towing weights for your
vehicle.

If
you have any further queries, please respond directly to this email;
alternatively please call us on 0800 026 0034, quoting the above Service
Request number 489214-865306451

Yours
faithfully

Netin
Patel

Customer
Service Manager

Vauxhall
Customer Care

Vauxhall
UK

·
Registered
213 Posts
Phil, it's 2000Kg for a manual gearbox, same as the 184ps. The automatics have a slightly less stated weight of 1700Kg.

This thread really concerns the official detachable VX towbar which is quoted online as being 1300Kg max - some 700Kg shy of the vehicle itself

-LaZ-

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Phil said:
What is the maximum tow weight for the 2.2, 163bhp SE Nav?
Slightly of topic,but the maximum trailer weight should be 85% of your cars kerb weight. Maybe up to 90% if you are an experienced tower. The 2000kg is a towing standard that makers specify and is not related to the max trailer weight. There are many "match services" out there for you to check.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgive me if I am wrong but I thought 2000kg was the figure supplied by Vauxhall as the limit for the manual car. Modern thought is that you can safely tow 85% of this, it used to be 75% when I started but times and vehicles have changed since then. Again as far as I understand you can tow more up to the vx stated figure and still be legal as long as you don't exceed the gross train weight.
However as chrisg states this is off topic, so a second request for any one with a newish vx fitted tow bar to enlighten us regards plating or official paperwork.
R
Dave

·
Registered
257 Posts
85% was always a guide never a law. Useful as guide in older vehicles and vans or new to towing, but as this link shows may now be outdatedhttp://www.bpw.co.uk/news/bpw-questions-the-85-per-cent-caravan-rule

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I was a bit puzzled about this 2000kg figure and asked the caravan club. They stated that the figure is obtained from a standard gradient and the car starting from a standing start. The figure is the maximum it will tow. It appears to be very misleading if that's the case.

I like the last paragraph and the use of the word "Probably". I'm almost sure that it is in fact illegal to tow more the your vehicles weight - obviously foolish.

Legally, the final say on the weight a vehicle can tow rests with the vehicle manufacturer. The “85% rule” has no basis in law and is probably now outdated due to the very considerable strides which have been taken to improve overall trailer stability. Caravan manufacturers, in particular Airstream, Buccaneer, Elddis and Fifth Wheel, are very conscious of vehicle stability and now include several, if not all, of the BPW products described above in their premium vehicles.

Edited by: chrisg

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Iain,An interesting article, between the Antara's stability system, caravan ATC and ALCO couplings we are spoiled theses days, any one remember what a snake was?
Still no takers on plate weights.......

·
Registered
147 Posts
The limit on a towbar is determined by the lower of the strength of the car chassis and the strength of the bar, the lower limit for a detachable ball is almost certainly related to the strength of the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yep I got into a snake about 25 years ago at 50 mph,a lot more experienced now though,it wont be happening again,i did manage to control it though,i have a bpw chassis with idc and hitch head stabilizer so things have moved on a bit,still wary going down long inclines especially on the A30 down to Newquay.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Further to this vx tow bar issue, I have just been under my car with a torch and looked at the plate carefully which after three years is not easy to read. The out come is a D value of 11! A quick search on the internet reveals that the D value is the towing limit of the bar and that 11 is Kilo Newtons. This in real money is just over 1100kgand for the past three years I have been towing 1600kg!!!!Have fired off a quick query to the garage who fitted this vx accessory and await an explanation. In the mean time I am now looking at £170 for a replacement tow bar, which I will swap over if necessary the only problem being the vx bar required a bumper cut out the new ones don't. Anybody know of any bars that do ie pull out not down?I have also asked the garage to speak to vx as I know from past experience that 'they do not customer interface' very well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dave I think the d value is the downward test weight on the tow bar. Not the ball. It is the calculated max weight the caravan can put on it as some weight will always be on the wheels. Even with are uneven roads

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Keeff and thanks for the info, unfortunately I think that what you describe is the S value.Further research has unearthed this:
The "D" value is calculated as follows:

(GVW x GTW ) / (GVW + GTW) x 9.81/1000 (gravity)= kn

Where GVW is Gross Vehicle Weight, and GTW Gross Trailer Weight.So I am more confused now as inputting my weights gives a D value of 9.33 which is well within the 11 stated. I think my initial mistake was to assume that you could convert KN to Kg I suspect mixing units of force and weight, but hey my mind still works in feet and inches.
So I await greater minds to pronounce on it from high, or at least VX headquarters!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi thanks for that.Interesting reading, a tow weight of 2000 and a D value of 8.98 which considering the same car, mine at 11 would imply a greater towing capacity than the car can manage.
At least Mr Plod is not going to look at the plate and say it is not up to the job of towing the van, thank goodness.
I think case closed and I will just go back to trying to find a new caravan with a decent payload.
Still be interesting to see what the experts at vxtowers have to say.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Been following this with interest and found this link. http://www.kovil.fi/d-force.php?a=show&lang=en&t=2200&c=0&cw=0&d=8.89 . It provides a calculator and if you have two of the required calculations then it will work out the rest. So for example if you know the total mass of the vehicle and the D value of the towbar then it will calculate what the maximum mass of the trailer or caravan can be.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.