Antara Owners Club banner

up in flames!!

10K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Scouse-Mafia 
#1 ·
Heres how a 6 month old antara looks when things went wrong this morning.....
Edited by: fostergriffin1609

See less See more
#5 ·
Interesting to see if it's linked to this starter motor cable / nut recall that's being going on, I am very suspicious that a recall would be launched for what Vauxhall described as something that "might prevent starting", I fear it's to address what you have suffered, an engine fire...

#7 ·
We had not heard anything about a re-call and we were on the blower last week because the engine oil change light came on well before the service was due and the usual DPF rubbish!. I just think there is no excuse for a car that young to be going up in flames. cue the insurance trying to squirm there way out of this one!...

#8 ·
There was a burning smell about 500 yards away from my home and electrics started to go hay-wire with the windows not working for example. So by the time the car was home there was severe smoke and then flames. The fire boys were spot on and on the game thankfuly. I'm just glad the kids were fine it could have been so much worse.

#9 ·
Scarey stuff glad everyone is okay.

Im pretty sure your not the first person that this has happened to. Someone posted a while ago either here or on another forum. A bit too common for my liking.

Welcome to the forum. I dont suppose you will be buying another Antara

#14 ·
I would think it will be an insurance job, Vauxhall should be responsible but you would end up spending a fortune on trying to prove factually they were at fault, i.e let's say they say something on the road caught on the exhaust and started the fire etc it would be near impossible to disprove with the damage to the car. We all know its a fault but the argument would go on. Might be worth checking your insurance many policies cover a new for old when the car is less than one year old so you would get a new one hopefully, that's if you could stick it...

#17 ·
Wilde said:
Oh my god !!!
Thank God you're ok
My one is 2 months old - occasionally make burning smells when I turn off the engine and s fan kicks in for a good 1 min - this fire thing is scaring me to death !!!
thats ur antara trying to do a regen thats what mine does if i turn it off without it completing its regen it does get a tad warm to burn crap out thats what you can smell.Edited by: craigm33

#22 ·
Sorry to hear about the Car but like you just glad your Kids were well clear.
As a matter of interest did you see the posting on this forum June 2013 another fire ?

Something I have noticed and I think it has been mentioned on here before but my car somtimes gets hot when I have been driving around the town !!

Please keep the Forum updated for everyones Benefit , could save Lives !!

#24 ·
As you said the recall was to change a nut on the starter motor, I assume for the battery too starter cable as the recall stated " could prevent starting" I am suspicious that a recall would be created for a non hazardous possible starting problem what my suspicious mind thinks is that this nut could come loose and if you were driving in town using repeat stop starts you could get arcing or a build up of resistance in the cable that could create a fire.....with a recall in place newer models will be fine, any recall is applied at the factory.
It would be interesting to find out the results of the examinations into the cause...

#25 ·
I asked about mine its on a 62plate wanted to know if was done mate who works there said they put wrong nut on which did work its way lose so no power to ur starter=dead car.as for lead don't know why but wasnt right too. so maybe thicker one was put on.think only autos had both done mine was just the nut.why be different on auto to manual i don't know it was only certain years what had to be done.but i will say lose wires =sparks and shorts so would it cause a fire well dont know i let u decide on that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.