Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both my front tyres are showing wear on the outside edge, a lot more than the rest of the tyre. Antara has done 16,000 miles, has anyone else had this at this mileage?.I know it is a heavy carbut I have had a few 4x4 and would have expected at least 20,000. I run tyres at 35 psi as I find the eco pressures of 38psi a bit harsher ride, I wonder if the wear is due to the lower pressures, your thoughts?

·
Registered
163 Posts
You may want to check your wheel alignment - outside wear could be down to your camber settings, these may be in excess on "positive camber" causing the external wear - see below;
Note: the manufacturer sets these Toe & Camber values, so whilst your car wheels may be correct the settings mayresult in uneven wear.
I keep meaning to take mine in & get it checked as I've noted a slight left drift, shall check on the settings when I do, won't be for a few days yet tho.

Over inflation tends to cause wear across the middle flat of the tyre, with under inflation causing wear on both the outside shoulders of the tyre.

Love 'em or loathe them, but KwikFit do make a decent fist of explaining Wheel Alignment terminology.

Edited by: paulfs68

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have never had my wheel alignment checked and been told "yep their fine". its always "Needs adjustment and going to cost £30+".I'm afraid I'm a sinic,but then again I never disappointed

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah it happens, shamefully too often.
Takes a time to find garages, dealers etc etc that you trust, poor indictment of society...
At least with these Hunter units that tyre fitters use these days you get a before & after print-out at least.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think its wheel alignment as ther wear on each side is the same, I would expect it worse on one side if the alighnment had been knocked also ther is no pulling to one side. Car goes in for its service next week so will get them to look at the alighnment anyway before putting new tyres on

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just had my tracking sorted out on Tuesday as noticed feathering on the outside edges on the front - the alignment was fine, it was the cambers that were out on mine. Tyres done 20k 4mm left on front and 5mm on back

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looking to replace front tyres, 16500 miles done and I have 3mm left on the front with feathering on the outside. Tracking is fine so will put it down to running at 35psi. As I am only replacing the front I want to keep the same tyre, Dunlop SP 270. The price difference is shocking, cheapest I can get fitted is Black Circles, £140.00, Vx dealer wants £210.00!!....KwikFit £190. !!. The rest around £175. What I don't understand is when you put your reg no in to check, the recommended tyre is rated at 104v but the tyres fitted are 100H, anybody else got this?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Off Road Doc said:
looking to replace front tyres, 16500 miles done and I have 3mm left on the front with feathering on the outside. Tracking is fine so will put it down to running at 35psi. As I am only replacing the front I want to keep the same tyre, Dunlop SP 270. The price difference is shocking, cheapest I can get fitted is Black Circles, £140.00, Vx dealer wants £210.00!!....KwikFit £190. !!. The rest around £175. What I don't understand is when you put your reg no in to check, the recommended tyre is rated at 104v but the tyres fitted are 100H, anybody else got this?

I wouldnt worry about the that. My ratings on my tyres are slightl different but good enough for the Antara. I bought my tyres from ASDA! they use local garages to fit them! You might get your tyres cheaper with them! I found putting all weather tyres on have made a great improvement on wear and also grip!

·
Registered
390 Posts
You Two must be heavy right footed, I had an Insignia for nearly 2 years and did 14000 miles on the same tyres with no problem, the only thing I did wae swop front to back at about 8000 and trade in at 21/2 year old.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i got just over 22k on all four original tyres but i did lots of towing in the first 12 months of owing the car!I have got over 13k on the new ones and the front have lots on and the backs don't look too bad at the mo. I put Mitchelin Lapitude Cross on and they are just great. They are chunky but great for getting off wet fields and also are brilliant in the wet!
Im hoping to get a fair bit more miles out of mine before needing to replace them! My antara does lots of towing as we like going away so probably need to change them by the end of the winter!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.