Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all, for the last few weeks, my Antara has been suffering from what I can only describe as a vibrating noise when travelling at low revs anything from 40 - 60mph, especially in the higher gears . Went to my lical Vauxhall dealer who investigated, and stated that it could've due to the difference in tread between my new from tyres which gave 6+mm tread and my rear which have 3mm. This us possibly reason why the vibration is there. Vauxhall stated that only way to know for sure is to have a brand new set of 4 tyres. Which not going to do, considering price of them. Anyone suffered this problem or heard of such a thing? As I'm puzzled. Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have heard that with some sophisticated 4wd systems any difference in tyre diameter between front and rear confuses the 4wd electronics. I would be surprised that such a small difference as this tread wear on the rear would cause this but I suppose it is possible. I suggest you try swapping front and rear, just in case. Not a bad idea anyway, as I have always believed that new tyres should go on the rear. I assume that they are matching tyres?

·
Registered
56 Posts
did they check it on a rolling road in the work shop , my view is they did not bother to much it could be anything from a wheel bearing to a bush to something minor, did they check for these things or was it an opinionI would be asking for a more detailed report

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't think it makes any difference on a antara but 4x4 like a old freelander need the new tyres on the back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'll be swapping the front to backs and seeing if that makes a difference. However, by doing this, will it mess up the tyre pressure monitoring system? As the wheels will be in different positions.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think it is unlikely that having 6mm on the front with 3mm on the back will cause vibration. I recently had my fronts replaced, down to 3mm and they were feathered at the outside edge, no vibration what so ever,with 4mm and 7mm on the back.I would go with a balance first, if it has come on suddenly rather than gradual I would have a of the front wheels inside rim and see if the balancing weights are still fitted. It is not uncommon for them to loosen andcome off if they are not fitted correctly

·
Registered
257 Posts
It could just be down to the wear on the tyres and interaction with road surface. On a previous car i had when the tyres got to below 4 mm (michelin tyres ), on a smooth road surface at certain speeds they became so bad, i thought a bearing had gone. I was lucky as had a spare set of wheels i could throw on and proved it was just down to the tyre wear. I was so glad when they got to below 3 mm and i could replace them.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had a Megane and put a full set of khumo's on as recommended, after 8K booked car in to my local garage for bearing noise, turned out to be tyres had deformed, I looked at it on ramp and when he spun wheel you could see mishape! I put Michelins on, all sorted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts