Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a "plug & play" tuning box. However, there are a multitude to choose from. All seem to offer very similar things but vary widely in price.

Obviously, I'd like to gather as much info as possible from first hand users, so, if I may-

Who has one fitted?
What made you choose the one that you did?
What are the "real world" benefits ( i.e. how does it compare to what the manufacturer claims)

Another thing is- do any of these have any effect on the DPF regens?

Also, has anyone had a full ECU remap?

Thanks for any input.

Edited by: ♠ChumBucket♠

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I have a racechip and one or two other guys also have them.

My racechip is tweaked slightly to get better oomph. Much better torque and slightly better mpg but don't expect an extra 10-20mpg with it.

Bhp is around the 200 mark.

Makes the Anara much better to drive with no change to DPF that I can see. I have no issues I drive it and use it like any car I have owned.

You get cheaper boxes and you get more expensive ones. Take your pick. The service from racechip is very good.

Given the choice I would go down the bluefin remap route but couldn't justify the extra £400. I would need to hear more feedback from the guys who have done it. But that's a whole new discussion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Blue-fin fitted. Vehicle drives a lot smoother, pulls a hell of a lot more. A couple of extra mpg's as well. And when it goes to VX, back to standard. Any software upgrades are supported by superchips as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Johnnie said:
Blue-fin fitted. Vehicle drives a lot smoother, pulls a hell of a lot more. A couple of extra mpg's as well. And when it goes to VX, back to standard. Any software upgrades are supported by superchips as well.

How long have you had it on?

Is it the one you plug in yourself after downloading the map off tinternet?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I also have the Racechip fitted. Very happy with it. Better drivability and around 10% better MPG calculated using the fill to brim method.

The service from them is good, so happy to recommend.

Andy

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well I have finally decided to join the race chip club by purchasing Brian84s race chip. Now received and fitted (thanks Brian) I shall see if there's a difference. I'm not a fast driver so didn't notice difference in acceleration but when I slowed down at a junction, pulled away in 2nd gear no problem. Just wait to see if improvement in mpg. Last 2 tanks seen me average 36.5 mpg after regen.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ok so I am intrigued, I have never thought about modifying the Antara as it does most things quite well. Fuel consumption is an issue as vx figures bear no resemblance to the real world so any increase would be a bonus.
I am past the boy racer stage, and anyway have a 1970 MG Midget without traction control and other modern aids, should I feel the need. Believe me 70mph in a small open top car is far more invigorating than any Antara can provide.
What would be of interest is a modest increase in bhp and torque especially when towing the caravan as I find that starting in 2<SUP>nd</SUP> gear even solo is sometimes a struggle.
Race Chip is one such manufacturer, who make three models ranging in price from £102 to £375 on Amazon the performance figures increase slightly, but not very much and the fuel saving stays the same.
They state that fitting/removal is straightforward and that its presence is untraceable when servicing/warranty work is needed.
They also issue a warning about vehicle modifications, which it is and the need to inform insurance companies which may result in increased premiums.
I do intend to keep the Antara for many years and its main role is towing, so my question is, is it worth the min outlay of £102?
Any thoughts/suggestions/alternatives would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dilligaf said:
Well I have finally decided to join the race chip club by purchasing Brian84s race chip. Now received and fitted (thanks Brian) I shall see if there's a difference. I'm not a fast driver so didn't notice difference in acceleration but when I slowed down at a junction, pulled away in 2nd gear no problem. Just wait to see if improvement in mpg. Last 2 tanks seen me average 36.5 mpg after regen.

I'd appreciate your feedback on this Dilligaf.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Dave47 said:
<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face=Calibri>Ok so I am intrigued, I have never thought about modifying the Antara as it does most things quite well. Fuel consumption is an issue as vx figures bear no resemblance to the real world so any increase would be a bonus.
<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face=Calibri>I am past the boy racer stage, and anyway have a 1970 MG Midget without traction control and other modern aids, should I feel the need. Believe me 70mph in a small open top car is far more invigorating than any Antara can provide.
<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face=Calibri>What would be of interest is a modest increase in bhp and torque especially when towing the caravan as I find that starting in 2<sup>nd</sup> gear even solo is sometimes a struggle.
<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face=Calibri>Race Chip is one such manufacturer, who make three models ranging in price from £102 to £375 on Amazon the performance figures increase slightly, but not very much and the fuel saving stays the same.
<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face=Calibri>They state that fitting/removal is straightforward and that its presence is untraceable when servicing/warranty work is needed.
<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face=Calibri>They also issue a warning about vehicle modifications, which it is and the need to inform insurance companies which may result in increased premiums.
<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face=Calibri>I do intend to keep the Antara for many years and its main role is towing, so my question is, is it worth the min outlay of £102?
<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face=Calibri>Any thoughts/suggestions/alternatives would be much appreciated.

That looks like the one I've got and is a good price. Buying direct is about £111.
Thankfully only paid £75 as it was 4 months old. Best person for info is Grumps as he's had his a while, but I will keep you all posted.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
The bottom line is I would not do without it now. The few times I have removed it for servicing etc my Antara feels so sluggish and slow.

I have also tweeked the settings a bit to give more oomph.

As for mpg it does add 2-3 miles on but thats not why I use or like it so much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the plug in chip from Tdi tuning. It's set on optimal, which is the midway point on the adjustment. It comes like that. It's the best balance between increasing performance without costing mpg. So far, it has increased performance and economy. It's much better pulling away. It's smoothed everything out. I spoke to them and they told me about the original ECU settings and how they are set for economy and environment blah blah and what this does without radically changing anything, is just iron that out.
Works for me. I keep meaning to turn it up a bit to see how it goes. Never seem to get around to it. I think that if it had driven like this from the factory, I'd never have considered a chip in the first place.
Wouldn't be without it now and as I said, it's not even turned up. You can have it remapped to fit a different vehicle too so it's not a throw away option.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ChrisJ said:
I have the plug in chip from Tdi tuning. It's set on optimal, which is the midway point on the adjustment. It comes like that. It's the best balance between increasing performance without costing mpg. So far, it has increased performance and economy. It's much better pulling away. It's smoothed everything out. I spoke to them and they told me about the original ECU settings and how they are set for economy and environment blah blah and what this does without radically changing anything, is just iron that out.
Works for me. I keep meaning to turn it up a bit to see how it goes. Never seem to get around to it. I think that if it had driven like this from the factory, I'd never have considered a chip in the first place.
Wouldn't be without it now and as I said, it's not even turned up. You can have it remapped to fit a different vehicle too so it's not a throw away option.

Thanks for the info, another on my list.

I don't know if anyone experiences the same but I feel our Antara changes. Sometimes it's ultra smooth, very responsive & just rolls with it. Other times it feels a little hesitant & doesn't roll as good. By roll I mean like the amount of throttle required say on the flat- sometimes it just rolls along on the tinyest amount of throttle, then other times it feels like it needs more to achieve the same.

Having done over 7k it it now, I think I can really understand what a tuning box will do.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I know precisely what you mean. I have had cars like that before. But I have to confess that this one drives exactly the same every time. I know, I know, I'm as shocked as you are.

One thing worth noting (oh no not another DPF comment coming) is that you might get some odd readings when your Antara does it dirty business. The first time mine did a regen, I had the chip fitted and the display went mental. I went from nearly 40 mpg ave to something like 12, the instant went off the scale too. Now I had no idea it was doing a regen. I thought that a light came on the dash you see. So I stopped at the services and pulled the connection. Set off again and it was still bonkers. I rang Tdi at the next services and they said that as it was set at optimum, it was possible a little too finely balanced and that I should move the setting which I did. It seemed better. Then I read up on here about the DPF and though, 'Oh hang on'. I set the unit back to optimum and waited for another regen. Now we can go round and round on the DPF and you can all tell me I am wrong, but mine does very few. Trust me, watching that dratted display has become a new pass time. Most of my miles are at speed. I do no tootling at all and I have to say that it's possible that I just don't generate as much soot as some others. Perhaps with the chip it is burning better. But I have covered 1000's without a regen. Then I have had two in a fortnight. All with no problem at all. This time, the display is quite normal. I don't know why it went nuts the first time but it did.

It would be interesting to hear about other owners with chips and their DPF profiles. Maybe it does make a difference; maybe it doesn't. But it a perfectly sensible conjecture.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had a tuning box on my 2,0 and it did nothing but throw up error codes.

I had the car remapped and it is fantastic.

i have previously had a box in diesels and they were phenominal but on the 2.0 they are crap

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had a tuning box on my 2,0 and it did nothing but throw up error codes.

I had the car remapped and it is fantastic.

i have previously had a box in diesels and they were phenomenal but on the 2.0 they are crap

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Racechip has been off my 2.2 SE for 3 weeks now and the car is very different without it and I miss it. I took it off as my car was going to have some warranty work completed and I have just got it back. Previously when fitted, I have towed and done a mixture of short and long trips.

The key differences are:
- fuel consumption I get 3 to 5 miles per gallon more with it fitted (including when towing)
- when fitted reduces lag when setting off from standstill
- much smoother and greater power and range when rolling
- see no difference however with frequency and length of regens

Now I have my car back I will be refitting it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.