Antara Owners Club banner

Tuning Box/Chip Wanted.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  davidb 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I`m looking for a Race Chip, or another "proven" good quality Tuning Box, at a "reasonable" price, to try on my 2012/13 Antara SE NAV 184ps 6 Speed Manual, as a last resort before I ask Motability for a change of vehicle on the M/Bility Scheme.
The DPF is driving me nuts, as it`s now having Regen`s around every 280 miles or so, and the Fuel Economy is abysmal. It`s currently showing an average of just 26.8mpg, over a combined distance of nearly 1,800 miles on Trip A, which is very "poor" to be polite. Vauxhall are a waste of space, and don`t want to know if you complain, but if I can manage to increase the MPG, and overall "driveability", I "might" just be able to live with the DPF Regen`s a little easier, but as it stands at the moment, it`s very close to being kicked into touch.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Isaac Hunt
I think you will find that Motability will not allow you to "re tune" the car, as it is on lease to you and you dont actually own it, they will sell the car after the 3 years lease as an antara with the spec that you bought it, also if you have an accident and the box is found in the vehicle, I expect the warramty would be cancelled. I my be wrong but as a motability costomer I would not change the spec of my Antara 183 SE NAV auto as one I have had no problems with the DPF and before I bought it, I researched it as was concerned with the DPF,the answer I was given by motability regarding this was that "if I could not drive the car as the manufacturer states then you should not select that car, but select another".

#3 ·
davidb said:
Hello Isaac Hunt 
I think you will find that Motability will not allow you to "re tune" the car, as it is on lease to you and you dont actually own it, they will sell the car after the 3 years lease as an antara with the spec that you bought it, also if you have an accident and the box is found in the vehicle, I expect the warramty would be cancelled.   I my be wrong but as a motability costomer I would not change the spec of my Antara 183 SE NAV auto as one I have had no problems with the DPF and before I bought it, I researched it as was concerned with the DPF,the answer I was given by motability regarding this was that "if I could not drive the car as the manufacturer states then you should not select that car, but select another".
Thanks for your concern, but if you read some of the other threads, particularly regarding the DPF, I`m sure you will realise that I am fully aware of the "consequences" of changing the Makers Spec. I don`t intend to have any kind of Re-Map to the ECU carried out, which is why I am asking for a Bespoke Tuning Box, which can be fitted, and removed again as and when deemed necessary, and also leaves no trace at all of it`s fitment once removed, which is a very simple 5 minute process.
Also, regarding "driving the car as the Manufacturer states", the advice given to me by my Motability Rep when collecting my car, was "give it a run up the Motorway once a week, and you will be ok". This is clearly not the case, particularly in respect of the Current Euro 5 Reg`s for DPF`s, so Vauxhall, and all other manufacturers for that matter, need to ensure that Diesel Vehicles are neither Sold or Leased, to anyone doing a low, and/or mostly Urban mileage, as it`s just asking for trouble.Edited by: Isaac Hunt

#4 ·
I do around 14,000 miles a year and a close friend who sell cars told me I was border line for owning 'any' diesel car, appreciate it slightly different with the Antara being predominetly available in only deisel, but maybe Motability should not be leasing known problematic DPF diesels to people who use them dotting around the doors....

For me the race box / chip whatever you want to call them is a gamble which only you can decide on if it is worth it. Yes it can be removed, but if you have a bad bump and are not able to remove it you will be on sticky wicket as the car is not yours and you will have no insurance so can only think Motability would chase you for it's full value or repair costs.

If you are truly that unhappy with the car demand that the dealer has a VX technician look at it and suggest you would like it taken to VX HQ to be sorted once and for all - try and get Motability on side and see what pressure they can put on VX as they are the customer.

#5 ·
As JR123 says its up to you and good luck. My Antara has given me no problems with the DPF or fuel consumption, also when I first ordered the car I researched it a great deal and bombarded the sales guy with so many questions that he must have thought he had got the customer from hell. On collection, and before signing for it, I had a hit list of more questions for him, the hand over/take over was at lest three quater's of an hour or longer, so was well impressed by the Kirkcaldy dealer.
So for a car that I was haveing doupts about right up to collection, I think she is a stunning motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.