Antara Owners Club banner

Transferbox

86K views 123 replies 35 participants last post by  Paul antara 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me if they have had a problem with the Transfer box, the bearings have gone in mine and put an hole in the casing?

#78 ·
Are you the only owner or 2nd, can't believe how common this is getting now, I bought a 2WD because of the few negative reports back in Feb 2014, got a brand new exclusive with lifetime warranty, have you exhausted all avenues with vauxhall, I contacted Rory Harvey who is the head of uk and he was superb, if you have to scrap it is it better to break for spares??!!

#83 ·
I have a 13 plate Antara 34000 miles transfer box went while on holiday.Luckily I had lifetime warranty so was covered.
Was just on holiday in bath and met an owner of a 14 plate his went while on holiday in Italy.
I spoke to A1 transmissions as I wondered what would the cost be when my warranty run out.
They said £2500 approx. As the parts are nearly impossible to get.
Repair kit for a freelander is £129.00 can you believe it .

#89 ·
My transfer box has just gone bang same two holes each side of the casing. My tyres are all within 1 mm of each other. The car has full main dealer service history and has just reached 30,000 miles.
Luckily I have lifetime warranty and Vauxhall's have agreed to pay the full cost which was over £5000.
Think I'm going to get sell soon and go back to something more commercial. These are just not strong enough in my mind.
I've done with Vauxhall's altogether

#90 ·
No doubt there's problems with the Antara transfer box but what you gonna buy to heul a 5 berth caravan that is guaranteed to give you no transmission problems? Maybe a Scammell or a Diamond T?

Remember Vauxhall isn't part of GM any more, it's now owned by Peugeot / PSA and it's getting harder to buy a car that doesn't have some PSA mechanicals about it.

#91 ·
Transfer box reports always set a chill in the heart. There has been a number of catastrophic failures in the past couple of years but in percentage terms it is probably quite small. When they fail they fall to bits. The cost estimates for replacement vary wildly and it seems that Vauxhall will assist in certain cases - perhaps as a goodwill gesture if you have been a good customer and done everything by the book. However, it appears that checking or replacing the transfer box fluid is not on the service schedule and the fluid can only be bought from Vauxhall - no-one else produces it for sale to the general public. There must be an underlying fault or maintenance issue somewhere that causes these failures and BJS has made numerous posts on the subject.

Victor's point is relevant as there are not many capable towcars about at a reasonable price, in both terms of kerbweight and engine 'grunt'. I was in a Mercedes showroom the other week and there was a nice big saloon car for about £50k that wasn't heavy enough to tow my caravan.......I bought a Smart ForTwo for running around in and will preserve the Antara for longer hauls.

#92 ·
Dulac said:
I was in a Mercedes showroom the other week and there was a nice big saloon car for about £50k that wasn't heavy enough to tow my caravan....... I bought a Smart ForTwo for running around in and will preserve the Antara for longer hauls.
Better make sure you do the re-fuelling pf the Smart For Two Dulac, can't trust this type of thing to women.

#93 ·
Oh and the link to read the whole story:
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!-->http://garagewire.co.uk/news/not-smart-car-driver-sets-vehicle-ablaze-putting-petrol-wrong-hole/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=News&utm_content=News+CID_e120019f2e17649ba05b2fa7826ab256&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=Not-so%20Smart%20car%20driver%20sets%20vehicle%20ablaze%20by%20putting%20petrol%20in%20wrong%20hole

<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->

#94 ·
Thanks for that, Victor. You know the saying "if you don't do anything you can't make a mistake"! In fact, there is a similar sized 'flap' on the opposite side of the car, except it isn't a flap - its an air intake (I think) that is louvred. I wonder how many people are aware of the symbol on the fuel gauge of most cars showing which side the filler cap is on?

#96 ·
I recall that Mr Harvey left Vauxhall earlier this year at about the time of the Peugeot announcement.

I see that, since this forum changed ownership and its format was 'improved', so many queries raised by owners with problems are going unanswered. Before the change, help from other members was more or less instantaneous. Why is this? I suspect that the core of those who offered advice to others has moved across to antaraowners.proboards.com as a consequence of the changes being introduced in a 'take it or leave it' manner by the new operators. It is a great pity but we are encouraged to "switch" in other aspects of our lives as consumers. The only consolation for troubled owners is that the people and their information and experiences are still out there if you look.

Good Luck

#97 ·
Replacement transfer boxes for this model are available to purchase at The Gearbox Centre.

Delivery available to mainland UK.

Price per unit is £1200plus VAT, sold on an exchange basis with £100 Delivery costs (includes both delivery and collection of old unit).

Please call Marc on 01795 700168 mon-fri 8am-5pm for more details, or visit thegearboxcentre.com

#99 ·
Replacement transfer boxes for this model are available to purchase at The Gearbox Centre.

Delivery available to mainland UK.

Price per unit is £1200plus VAT, sold on an exchange basis with £100 Delivery costs (includes both delivery and collection of old unit).

Please call Marc on 01795 700168 mon-fri 8am-5pm for more details, or visit thegearboxcentre.com
Is that for a new one or reconditioned one.

#100 ·
Mine has gone to it’s done 83k I took out an extended warranty with Warrantywise wasn’t worth bothering they said it was going before I took the warranty out what a load of **** for you guys who know it’s goes in the matter of a few miles it’s not at Vauxhall £4.5k to fix it

There was a post on here with a guy called Matt who can fix and make them FWD only does anyone know him and where he is based ???

#102 ·
In 2018 this forum was sold on to new owners who made significant changes to the layout, etc. without any warning. Prior to this the forum was pretty **** good in terms of helping each other out with all aspects concerning the Antara range. Consequently a group of regular contributors to this forum left and formed/joined another one. A shame, but there it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.