Antara Owners Club banner
101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hi The thread here seems to have finished in 2018, but our 2012 antara transfer box went in may 2019. Wondered is this issue still going on? speaking to dealer/ customer service without any help at all now considering watch dog?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
In 2018 this forum was sold on to new owners who made significant changes to the layout, etc. without any warning. Prior to this the forum was pretty **** good in terms of helping each other out with all aspects concerning the Antara range. Consequently a group of regular contributors to this forum left and formed/joined another one. A shame, but there it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I'm not sure where he's based but a friend did my he has a garage in south Liverpool by the airport he did mine in a couple of hours the car drives so much better and fuel economy is up he charges £300 message me if you want details I'd be happy to help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
The transfer box on these things are like chocolate. I've just had mine done at a cost of £1600.

I've heard of cases of them going sub 20k miles!

The gearboxes are like chocolate too. Along with injector no.3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Has anyone on here tried the modification mentioned in the first page of the thread?
You can buy it for around 100 pound.
I'm tempted to give it a go if removing the transfer box isn't mega money?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Hi Richy.

I think it would, but then I wanted the 4x4 for a reason namely towing the van off wet / snowy / muddy fields.

Where I live we often suffer heavy snow and the 4x4 makes life a little easier.

I'll see if I can find the oem number somewhere to check if the mod would work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Likewise, I cant see the point of buying a 4x4 to convert it to 2 wheel drive, Apparently the two wheel drive cars are quite good, but for towing I prefer to air on the safe side just in case i end up in a muddy field or snow in winter. I would also be interested in knowing what this mod is, I can only assume its a replacement bearing. Richy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Got the same Problem, 2103 Antara Diamond, bought in April, Transfer box just gone, got hole blown in it. Trying to find replacement but cost is ridiculous. Might have to end up scrapping the motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
I think they are about £1400 on Ebay. Fitting is not to difficult if your prepared to get out and under. I have the process written down if you need it. Richy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Transfer box failures are not restricted to Antaras. A wide range of manufacturers (e.g. BMW, Mazda, Land Rover, Porsche, etc. etc.) suffer the bad publicity associated with these events. Reading the posts from others over the years I have learned that:
1. checking the fluid level is not part of a standard service with a VX dealer (I always request it with mine).
2. only the recommended GM fluid should be used - there doesn't appear to be a published alternative..
3. some workshops believe that the box is a sealed unit and cannot be treated (it isn't) and a member previously posted a technical illustration of an Antara transfer box showing the drain and level plugs. He also made a case for what is described as 'pump rub'. https://www.dieseltechmag.com/2013/08/what-is-pump-rub
4. some manufacturers believe that odd tyres on the same axle, even just with different levels of wear, can contribute to transfer box failure.
5. although termed 'AWD' these vehicles are not designed for off-roading.
6. if the warning symptoms are ignored the failure will be catastrophic (repairs are bad enough in terms of cost).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
So.... 5 weeks on we have a result. Supplying dealer washed their hands of it, then quickly backtracked under pressure from Vauxhall, finally agreeing to pay 10% of costs. They wouldn't recover the vehicle though, so VX kindly delivered it to them and returned it at their cost, in addition to covering the other 90% of the £10100 cost involved. We now have the car returned with new transfer box, propshaft, and rear differential! Technicians think the u-joint on the prop went, forcing it out of alignment and resulting in damage to the adjoining parts. It was a long uphill struggle but so pleased we stuck at it with encouragement from all who commented here, so thank you all
.
 
101 - 113 of 113 Posts
Top