Antara Owners Club banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I was a tyre fitter I always advised 4 x 4 customers to replace all 4 tyres but not many did. I gladly replaced only what they asked for & informed them of the possible problem to the transfer box.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Dulac said:
Quite agree. Using pi = 3.142 a brand new 235 50 R19 tyre has a circumference of around 2328.22mm. A worn tyre with (say) 2mm less tread depth (i.e. 4mm less diameter) has a circumference of around 2315.7mm. To travel 1km in a straight line the new tyre will revolve 429.55 times and the worn tyre will revolve 431.85 times. Over 1000km that is a difference of 2300 revolutions between the two wheels. Presumably this also affects the indicated speed in some way and the worn tyre will wear quicker than the new tyre. Theory I know but the basis of the problem is in there somewhere.

I quite agree Dulac (I think) but can I mention that when your car goes round a corner the wheels on the outside of either axle have to travel round ia larger radius than those on the inside so there's an inequality in the number of revolutions they do on any journey (except for a straight line). So if you turn round mainly left handed corners you should put the worn tyres on the L/H side and let the bigger, unworn tyres run round the larger radius - oh the heck with this, I'm lost.

PS You don't do income tax returns in your spare time, do you? I could do with someone like you.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I read that BMW recommends all four tyres should be replaced on 4WD vehicles in the event of one failing.

Victor, surely that is what the diff is for, to balance the drive wheels on the same axle. But then I see images of a AWD vehicle with a front diff and a transfer box between the front and rear axles, so goodness knows what happens from there. Does anyone out there know? The lesson seems to be: if you have a AWD vehicle then keep the tyres the same, check the transfer box fluid at oil change intervals and be wary of a spacesaver spare wheel. Who'd be a vehicle transmission designer? I wouldn't and will stick to completing tax returns in my spare time.
By the way, on all official forms write 'not applicable' in the spaces and rub a candle stub over the bit that says 'for official use only'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hiI have a 2012 Antara 2.2 cdti my transfer box failed completely without warning with all matching tyres and allinflated correctly so I think that myth can be busted as the differential should take up any differences in the drive train and I am sure that a couple of mm in tyre depth should not cause a MAJOR mechanical item to fail also the wheel shafts have no direct link to the failed item as its the idler shaft bearings that fail
this is now known to be a design fault and the fact that the transfer boxes are assembled with inferior bearings that are prone to failure at any time
after discovering that the repair bill was over £4000just for parts both myself and my son dismantled the box and removed the idler shaft (this is the one that the bearings fail on) after which we had the casing repaired to the point of being oil tight as this would never again have an idler gear in it and re-assembled the box my Antara is now "2 WHEEL DRIVE" and the total repair bill was less than 250 poundsthis was over a year ago and the car is more responsive on the throttle and much better on fuel
as for a modified transfer box the only way this can be achieved is by taking a brand new transfer box stripping it down and fitting good quality bearings this can be done by Mackie transmissions in Scotland as they are able to get you a new transfer box for £2190 plus vat which is almost 2 grand cheaper than Vauxhall

·
Registered
6 Posts
did you take into consideration the fact that the car will never travel in a straight line for its entire life and the differential unit will make up for any difference in the tyre diameter unless you have a fixed differential unit then the tyres will always travel different distances within a given time frame

·
Registered
863 Posts
Looks like Honest John and his technical experts (and BMW) are wrong then. Can you tell us what the known design fault is?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My transfer box went at 33,000 miles and had to be towed back off holiday with the caravan.
As far as i know there are NO upgraded boxes by Vauxhall.
They either chew up the bearnings like mine and go with NO warning or a part wears a whole through the box itself depositing the oil and then failure.
I spoke to a repairer down south he said the parts are almost impossible to get when they do get them cost for repair is around £2500
Chances are it could happen again
I have met 4 people all with transfer box failures.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I wonder how many 4x4 Antaras were produced and how many transfer boxes have failed, to date?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Here's the sales figures from [url]http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/opel-vauxhall/opel-antara/ [/url]Don't know how many were 4 x 4 and knackered transfer boxes. Might be surprisingly few actually, I'd guess somewhere less than 10%.

<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->

·
Registered
863 Posts
Thank you, Victor. So it seems that 33197 Antaras were sold since 2013. Guessing that perhaps 5% of these were 4WD (and that is a pure guess) that would be 1660 vehicles. On these pages over the past couple of years there might have been ten reports of transfer box failure and this estimate is clouded by: those who can be bothered to post; those owners who are not forum members; those who live on the continent. Captiva seems to be excluded. There certainly seems to be a problem with some transfer boxes and the damage is well-described, but there is little published on the likely reason for the failures. The trade suggests mis-matched tyres and wheels, there is no maintenance recommendation that I have seen and possibly some owners take theirs off roading (look at YouTube). Perhaps there is a design flaw, perhaps defective bearings or inaccurate machining was carried out, perhaps the failed boxes didn't have enough of the correct lubricant, perhaps there was just a bad batch from the supplier, perhaps towing a trailer causes excessive wear: who knows? In any case, the number of failures as a percentage of the number manufactured appears (as a pure guesstimate) to be low. For my part I will keep a close watch on my tyres, avoid off-roading and ensure that the fluid level is checked (and even changed) at service intervals by a Vauxhall dealer using the correct fluid and access equipment.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Had a 3 year service the other day at my local VX dealer. Checking the transfer box fluid is not included, so I requested this to be done. They reported it needed topping up and sent to one of their other establishments to get the correct fluid. Job done.

Also, checking the condition of the parking brake is not on the service schedule so I requested that the wheels be removed and the brake cleaned out. I also requested that the coolant be changed and this was done (on my belief that the anti-freeze helps cooling as well as preventing freezing). The dealer reported that the effectiveness of the existing coolant had diminished, after testing. I have never had to top it up. I asked for the brake fluid to be changed as well but was advised this is scheduled for year four, so wasn't necessary. Again, the car was close to the day I bought it when I collected it: brisker, quieter and spotlessly clean both inside and out. And it sailed through the MOT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Add me to the list of an owner of an Antara with a knackered transfer box, mine went in Belgium last week. The local Opel garage turned me away as they were going on holiday on the Friday! Believe it or not they recommended a local Citroen garage who found a box in France (none to be had in Belgium) which they ordered and fitted in two days, fabulous service, but at a cost.... 6000 euros, the box alone cost 4475 euros plus vat. As you can imagine I am very disappointed with my Antara. The car is a 2012 model with 51k on the clock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys my 2013 Antara AUTO gear box/drive shaft has gone too Vauxhall have quoted £3500 for the box and the total with fitting is £5150

Just like on the previous threads it has put a hole in the casing and gear box oil everywhere do you think Vauxhall should help me out with it although it has done 83,000 miles ??? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. Have owned my 4x4 for about 9 months and last week with no warning and 26000 miles on the clock the Transfer box failed. And did it fail. Fortunately I have an extended warranty and the dealership have been brilliant and I now have a repaired car. But I am now seriously concerned that it can happen again and I will be left with the bill. I asked the dealership service manager about exchanging it for a 2 wheel drive and his advice being that he has fitted a genuine Vauxhall modified box and I should not have any more problems. Has anyone else got the modified box and what are you views please.
I have a 13 plate 2.2 and all I have had is trouble it was 2 years old when I had work done to it costing 7 thousand pound new clutch. fly wheel. wheel bearing. All of the injectors. But since then last year I have had the clutch done twice.1 injector. Turbo boost pipes.and now today I find that the transfere box has a big hole in it.i trying to find out if the clutch change has anything to do with it. The car has been a money pit.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts