Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst out driving today my "Trailer connected" light came on for no reason, this caused my left hand indicator to flash a double speed when in use but had no effect on the right hand indicator.
I had no idea that I had such a warning light and it has certainly never come on when my caravan is hitched up!
It went off again as suddenly as it had appeared then continued to go off and on randomly throughout my journey, anyone had a similar problem??
It was very wet today, could it be water in the toolbar electrics causing a short.........

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'd guess so, I'd take apart and give it a good clean and coat in WD to start and see from there, good luck

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Don't forget there has been a lot of salt on the roads as well recently.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Has your car got its towing electrics connected to the socket under the boot floor, or is it scotch locked into the wiring loom?If the former then the green towbar light should appear every time you connect any thing to the towbar socket be it a caravan or just a trailer board. It should also enable the towing stability function of the car.
As Chris & Andrew sayinvestigate the socket for a short that is making the car think it has something plugged in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, the light is off today so I think it must be water somewhere.
My tow bar was fitted for me but I think that it is connected in the spare wheel well somewhere.
What do you mean by activating the towing stability function on the car, how do you do that manually?

·
Registered
405 Posts
The Antara has a socket under the boot floor on the drivers side, the wiring harness from the 13 pin socket plugs into it, that is if you have a dedicated wiring harness. As far as I understand when you connect up, the car senses the towed vehicle, the green light comes on and the stability program is activated automatically. I don't think that you can activate it manually.Others on the forum have reported that if a dedicated harness is not used then the trailer light does not illuminate and presumably the stability program does not activate. You say that the light has never come on when you have towed so I would think that your wiring is not connected to the socket.
I guess that you need to look underneath or in the boot and see where the connections are made and if you want the stability function get it wired correctly.
Hope this helps.

ps I am assuming that all Antaras have the stability function I know that my SE does.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have had this problem! it's water in your 13 pin socket!! the water level is touching the sensor in the socket!
You need to take it a part and put a few holes in the bottom of you socket! mine has never done it again!! 😊

·
Registered
55 Posts
I too have this problem, whereby the trailer warning light is illuminated and the L/H indicator double flashes, when there is nothing connected. Can you tell where on the 13pin socket did you drill holes and has the problem gone??

Many Thanks. Edited by: chingster294

·
Registered
211 Posts
chingster294 said:
I too have this problem, whereby the trailer warning light is illuminated and the L/H indicator double flashes, when there is nothing connected. Can you tell where on the 13pin socket did you drill holes and has the problem gone??

Many Thanks.
You need to take the front of you socket off and let the water drain then wd40 the inside. Then you drill two small holes in
the bottom of the socket, just be carful not to drill the connectors! Then put all back together and you should find it will work! If it's been doing it for a while the switch in the socket could be broken which means you'll have to buy another which are around £40ish depending where you go! If you do need to change the so meet make sure you get one with a small switch which is on the left hand side! it's very small to see!
I haven't had any more problems with mine since I have put the holes in!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi just noticed you post regarding the sensor/switch in the 13 pin socket. I assume that this is similar to the small micro switches that used to be fitted in the old 7N sockets to cut the feed to the fog lamp. I must admit that I did not realise this was the way it was done these days, I thought that with the car have a trailer stability control system the ECU would sense the presence of a trailer and cut the fog lamp feed automatically.
Must have a closer look at my socket next time the weather is fine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When you look at the 13pinsocket the sensor is on the left hand side, its very small peice of plastic. I was told it makes the circuit for the trailer stability control to work. The problem with these new 13pin sockets is they dont have any drainage on them as they are supposed to be water tight but they are not. The socket will fill up and will start touching the sensor which will fool the car in thinking there is a trainer on the back. It could damage your car as the trailer stability control is then on full time and the car will start getting confused.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you are not getting the green towbar light on the dash when towing then you should take the car back to the people who fitted your towbar electrics.They have either fitted the wrong kit or wired it up wrong.
My kit has been fitted for two years with no problems and it has a 5 year warranty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts