Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Have just joined from the other forum.

I have a 2013 Antara SE Nav 184 ss manual. It is fitted with a VX towbar, which has an identification plate with the name "Chasys".

1. When The electrics are connected (13pin) should the green tell tale in the dash panel be lit - Vx tell me they have discontinued that feature?. Does any body with a 2012/2013 Antara have a tell tale system that works.

2. Does any body have the same towbar as me - do they know the towing capacity of the towbar, not the car.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi Bob,
I have a 2012 Antara SE with the vx fitted towbar and 13 pin electrics.
The green tow ball lamp iluminates on the LHS of the instruments when we tow our caravan.
The car is clever enough to know that a trailer is attached so requires no indicator failure teltale.
I have looked at our tow bar and it to is made by "Chasys" but the blue plate does not give a max capacity.
As I am sure you are aware the car capacity is 2000kg for the manual and I guess it would be wise to stay within that especially with a new car.
Out of interest does your 13pin wiring include the fridge/battery charging wiring?
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Dave4

Yes they did connect the additional wiring harness for the fridge/charging

·
Registered
38 Posts
My MY13 has the trailer connected light on the left of the dashboard, a green light that looks like the detachable tow hitch and, after a huge argument, the caravan charging and fridge wire connected. I have the 13pin socket fitted.

I thought that in the UK it was law to have that light. Although I may be talking complete rubbish

As for VX saying what they said...I wouldn't be at all shocked, they have two answers for everything "They've discontinued it" or "They all do it"

Edited by: antara184

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi form Paul

I have a 2.2ltr manual version antara, with a witter tow bar, i tow a large caravan, and when the caravan is connected to the car, "A" on the hitch when you connect the hitch to the tow bar, you have a button which pops up from red to green showing it is connected, and "B" there is a green indicator light on the instrument panel which comes ON, this is normal this is a good thing tells you everything is connected properly. HAPPY TOWING

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi I fitted a witter tow bar and green light on dash works when connected,check if it's been wired into the multi plug connected under rh/side wheel arch.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My December 2012 Has towbar fitted and green symbol on dash which comes on when connected. Regarding whether it should have a warning system, i found this online on caravan club site.

I know on my previous car, it used the rapid flash of indicators, if a indicator bulb failed on car or connected trailer.

17 Vehicle wiring - direction indicator system<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">Q<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;"><i style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">Do I need a warning device in the car indicating that the direction indicator system is functioning correctly when towing a caravan?[/i]<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;"><b style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">A
[/b]Yes. Lamps must flash at a rate of 60-120 flashes per minute, whilst a warning device in the car must inform the driver, by means of a visible or audible signal, that the system is functioning correctly.<b style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">This is a legal requirement[/b]. Some new vehicles have a different system, which does not show that the indicators are working correctly but only that they are not. The Club, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) and the Club's legal helpline all share the belief that either is acceptable; however, only a court can give a final judgement on the interpretation.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi All,
As I said earlier the Antara is intelligent and can sense when an indicator bulb on the trailer/caravan has failed, it then indicates the failure as it would a car bulb. Try connecting something and removing a bulb to simulate a fault.Over the years cars have used an in dash display and more latterly an audible buzzer to show failure, I assume that the Antara green towball lamp shows that a trailer is attached and that the trailer stability system is functioning and as such has nothing to do with bulb failure. I know that on mine it does not flash when a trailer bulb fails.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi, I have a 2012 model manual Antara and have not noticed a green light when the 13 pin plug is connected and also does this model have the trailer stability system fitted,just off topic should the interior light switches above be lit up when the car lights are on as they do in my sons Vectra,Chris.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi ChrisMine is 2012 SE and yes it does have trailer stability control, or at least the handbook says it does!
My caravan also has stability control so what does what I am not sure.
The green tow hitch light on the LHS of the instruments lights up when you plug in and I presume it also indicates that the stability unit is also functioning.
No idea about the interior light switches but mine has a panel light dimmer, could this be the proble/solution?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thought it had the trailer stability control but not sure,my caravan is an Elddis and has the IDC stability control,i am familiar with as I have worked in the caravan repair and service side,yes I have found the dimmer switch and played about with it,its not a problem but wondered if the reading/map light switches should be illuminated at night to find them easier as the Vectra.2012 Antara manual SE 184 white.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The weight limit of the genuine VX Detachable Towbar is 1650kgs.....you will find this figure in the paperwork that comes with the towbar.
That's assuming your dealer passed this onto you. An A4 sized booklet with a darkish brown cover

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi Piddy, I too have an A4 sized brown booklet entitled MANUAL (C105) on what page does it state that the towing limit is 1650kg?

Mine stipulates a down force on the towbar of 80kg but implies in the picture that the weight of the trailer is stated in the car literature.

It would bestrange if a vx Antara specific towbar was not rated at the towing capacity of the car, but then knowing vx maybe not.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Tested my electrics again and no green light to say it is connected to the caravan,2013 Antara, 2012 model se nav.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi Cadds, strange that, is you towbar wiring connected to the socket on the off side under the boot floor or has it been connected elsewhere?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi,the guy who did it does them for the local Vauxhall dealer but came to my house to fit it,he wired it in to the offside rear cubby hole that comes out in the boot.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi Cadds, perhaps on a dry day a quick look underneath might be in order. I think I have read somewhere on here that unless the socket is used the car does not recognise the trailer, but I may be mistaken. There is always the possibility that if the green light is not on then the trailer stability is not active.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts