Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question to the boffins amoungst us, when in a slippy off road situation or in snow is it best to switch off the TC or leave it on to get the best out of the 4x4 system ?, prepping for the snow...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I believe it is off when wheels are slipping on wet, snow or ice. The ESC cuts engine power to prevent wheels spinning, so if already on a slippery surface you may not get engine power to drive off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ditto - horses for courses.
PersonallyI think Off if trying to pull away on a slippery surface where all four wheels are struggling. Once clear switch it back on & let the ECS do its thing.But regardless, its whatever worksto get you out

If you need more revs & power may be best to switch it off.

Edited by: paulfs68

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've driven several models with 'stability programs' in snow and ice and always found it is best left on. Basically that's what it is intended for.

Whenever I turned it off I immediately tried to spin in circles. If the wheel slips then it brakes that wheel so the others with can turn and you proceed pretty much as normal. If one wheel is spinning freely then the other(s) receives no power through the differential. In fact it feels so normal it is easy to forget you are on ice and the brakes are going to be utterly ineffective: drive with great care.

Trying to switch the ESC on or off whilst the car is sliding wildly is something I prefer not to do.

Turning the ESC off on a good dry road is another matter, in fact you should try it out in safe conditions to learn what it does.

If it gets really bad then fit chains but it looks like we'll be warm and wet this winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.