Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you like the car then that is the main thing. From what I read on here the Antara is a great tow car, personally I don't have the need to, I wanted a large family car.
The DPF filter issues you hear about are very similar on almost any new diesel car. I have covered nearly 6,000 miles without a problem. As long as your mileage includes motorway or A road travel you should be fine. As for mpg I get just under 42mpg on average in my 2.2 2wd 2014 car.

What sort of deal are you looking at?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi Peter & Julie,Glad you enjoyed your test drive. Just read the forum especially the towing section and remember that as in life people complain about bad service/products and rarely praise the good.Much on here follows that pattern although to be fair car manufacturers do make 'lemons' from time to time.
For towing which is the prime use of ours, be aware of towbar comments and connections for the fridge and the lack of a spare wheel, there is plenty of info on all these points. It is a superb towcar for the money, but you pay for the weight/pulling power with low mpg, 1700 miles of towing down to the Med last Autumn yielded a heady 23 mpg so be warned. However it is rock steady with 1600kg of caravan on the back at motorway speeds and passing trucks have little or no effect.
Yes it has a dpf as do all modern diesels, and yes some on here appear to have big problems, but I can only speak as I find and that is one warning light in two and a half years entirely of my own making ie too many short journeys. Some of us on here think that towing helps the regen process as the engine is running hotter with the extra load, I often set the trip if I notice a regen only to find a thousand miles later I have not noticed the next two.
So as they say 'you pays your money and you takes your choice' good luck with your deliberations and let us know how you get on.
Dave

·
Registered
211 Posts
AntaraMatt said:
If you like the car then that is the main thing. From what I read on here the Antara is a great tow car, personally I don't have the need to, I wanted a large family car.
The DPF filter issues you hear about are very similar on almost any new diesel car. I have covered nearly 6,000 miles without a problem. As long as your mileage includes motorway or A road travel you should be fine. As for mpg I get just under 42mpg on average in my 2.2 2wd 2014 car.

What sort of deal are you looking at?
Just to comment on what AntaraMatt says, the DPF is an issue but all deisel cars have these problems.
The Antara is great tow car. On the side of mpg im getting around 31-32 around town, but dont know what i would get on long journs as i always have a caravan on the back which mean 26mpg average.

The Antara is a great car to drive. I really like the car and i sure you will too.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi and welcome,had mine 18 months now and no problems with the DPF or anything else,it does what I bought it for and that is tow the caravan and it does that with ease.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have had my Antara 1 year, covering 20,000mls and been very happy with the towing capability.I've said it before,but people only write about problems that they have with their cars.
Look at http://www.freel2.com/forum/on all the issues with the landrover freelander2.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Speaking from my experience I wouldn't recommend touching an x demonstrator or one that's done short trips only . The DPF likes a good run frequently (20 miles plus ) . If your only doing short runs your going to eventually run into DPF / EGR issues . They are a good capable towcar but mpg falls a good way short of vauxhall's claimed figures I reckon 35mpg is pretty average 40mpg on a good run driven carefully . If the service light is illuminated avoid like the plague also if second hand make sure it's been serviced as per manufacturers guidelines

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Hi, I would tend to agree with the above. Diesels (especially newer ones) like to be driven. I cover just over 20k/year and the engine runs like clockwork.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You do not state if you buying new or used, if new then don't forgot to download the voucher from the VX website.

With the Antara you get a lot of car for your money especially the 4WD versions,however it is worth noting that they depreciate accordingly.

Cheap finance and when I bought mine you also got the lifetime warranty for what its worth.

MPG is poor (published figures are fiction),when compared to many of it's newer rivals however if you going to be towing then this may not matter that much.
I do not tow with mine but there are many on here who do and say it's a great tow car.

DPF issue does not effect everyone probably depends on your routine, mine regens every 500 miles or so regen last about 10-15 miles depending on traffic/road conditions, I find it tedious as my dailycommute is 16 miles each way andyou can bet your bottom dollar it will start a regen cycle a mile or two from my destination.

Apart from a few niggles i have not had that many problems, service costs are reasonable if you haggle, Antara is not the most dynamic SUV out there is starting to show its age especially against vehicles such as the CX5 for example, however for the money I dont think you will get a better value for money SUV tow car especially if mpg is not an issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.