Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, is there a common fault with the Antara ref the above , i have just checked my levels today and found thick black oil and no coolant when taking off the cap. my oil levels are obviously off the dipstick...any ideas welcome , i`m guessing head gasket or head issues ??

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have been on the forum for some years and not heard of this before. Is there water in your oil ie. looks like yogurt.
Does sound like a cylinder head issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No , there's no water in the oil system that I can see.no cream residue or condensation . I was out driving and had to brake firm . The oil warning light and warning bell sounded. Once home and cooled down I checked my levels . I couldn't see the usual pink coolant in the reservoir so took the lid off only to have thick black oil flow out. The oil dipstick was dry..😔

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Victor, i`m sorry , yes , It`s a 2.2 SE 4x4 on a 2011 plate. I`v managed to get her booked in to my local chap on Tuesday . Looking at it and discussing it with him, he seems to think i`m looking at an oil coller issue. lets see..

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Coolant water in oil normally is through head gasket blown but oil in coolant think it's something otherEdited by: Bigjohnsparky

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
There's an oil-to-water heat exchanger built into the oil filter housing on the 2.2 (might also be on the 2 litre engine, never checked). They don't generally give a lot of trouble but always the possibility of a leak developing and engine oil pressure (and temperature) is greater than the coolant pressure & temp so mixiong tends to be to the detriment of the cooling system.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The Antara turbo is oil fed and water cooled so might be another source oil leakage into the cooling system. The oil feed pipe comes from the top of the engine into the central housing then drains into the lower crankcase. There's about three water pipies associated with the turbo but I don't have any pics of the flow.

You got any on your cracked Autodate Mobilemick?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, thats a bummer, i have just been told the oil/water issue is a cracked block...the cost of repair is more that the value of the car.
i guess the car is scrap value only..ouch!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If you drove home after the oil light and warning bell came on, im not surprised.
It came on for a reason. My daughter did same and she warped her cylinder head. £500 fix

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they didn`t stay on, it was twice under braking. the car showed no other signs of any issues either.No leaks or other warnnig lights if the light had of stayed on or the symptoms were obvious, i would not have moved.However, the 2.2 engine is out of the Chevy and having asked around since this problem, they have been know to have this issue as early as 40kallegedly!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ive never heard of this issue,however that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
It maybe your car was overheating and you weren't aware of it,as there is no temp. gauge only a light when its too hot.
Why not look for a recon. engine or scrap yard one?
Edited by: chrisg

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Can you not a short engine any more .it is a engine block with crank and pistons .and use the rest of bits off the old one .
There is 3 on eBay start at 1600 full engines Edited by: swinton

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Dec 2012 SE 4x4 same problem mine was oil cooler luckily i had an extended warranty which covered the work other than that i have 45k on clock with no further issue's

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I have a 2012 2.2 cdti 164 hp. Today in the morning I noticed a few drips of oil on the floor under the car. When opening the bonnet I noticed oil leaking from the af reservoir. I opened a bit and then starts whoozing oil out. I took the oil rood out and showed no oil. The funny thing is that the car didn't made any noise and I drove it to the nearby garage close by and all looked ok on car. The mechanic said he would have to do a pressure test on Monday. My question is: if it would be a busted head gasket wouldn't it be showing water in the engine? Like bubbly mix of oil and water when taking the measurement rood out? I had cars before that had blown head gaskets but this is the first time the car acts like this. Couldn't this be instead this oil/ water heater device explained previously? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
A blown head gasket doesn't necessarily mean water will be mixed with the oil in the sump, it just depends where the gasket blew.

I take it the "oil rood" is the dipstick and you say there was no oil showing - that is always bad. How often do you check your oil anyway and does it normally use oil?

It's quite possibly the oil cooler that's shown on the previous page, he'll have to do some investigatin to check this out.

Didn't you have a tuning chip fitted to this engine? Who knows what damage may have been done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi looking for help serching for posts and came across yours and pictures - think my oil cooler is bust - thick black oil in coolent tank - any info on how to remove the complete housing with cooler and oil filter (its well tucked in) do I hae to remove altenator which looks like attatched to housing? had a look on-line but not much info on that subject. Antara still running starts first time - removed 2 hoses on cooler so got about 2 ltr of black oil and a little coolent its been sitting at back of my garage for some months now! - its in good shape got 98K miles on clock
thanks if you can advise

1 - 20 of 20 Posts