Antara Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
I agree it's not worth an argument, each driver/owner who may have had several cars, with some being good or bad, will have had their own experience and will form their own opinions.
I to did a very lot of investigation into the Antara, as well as other similar cars form various dealeras. As as a wheel chair bound war vetran, and not clocking up the motorway/duel carrige way journey's, have had no issues with the Antara's DPF or for that matter anything else (touch wood). The car is, to me, a good car and I am happy with it, it may be a scots thing or army, but believe me I would be down to the dealer or vauxhalll if there was an issue with my car and cause so much hastle for them that I belive it would be sorted.

My dealer s in Kirkcaldy and I have to admit that the motability salesman and the after sales service is first class, and what I would expect.

So I guess that each individual driver will make up his own mind as to whether his car is a good or bad car and thay will take what action they deem fit.

I to have mobility problems and I find this car one of the better 4x4 for the hight of getting in and out and that is why my husband bought me it.
I have had no problems as yet, i have never notices the dreaded DPF happening and if i did i would just get on with it and live with it as we have never noticed happening with our Chevreot Captivia which we have had from new and is now one year and three months old and yes I still love my white car and yes you get good and bad cars and we as a family have had our fare share of new ones I can tel you, and what you do is deal with it through the appriot channels dealership , manufacturer, omnibusman, lawyer, papers, watchdog, and filly you protest across from the dealers with placards and boards, we have done it All and got resaults.

Grumps said:
piddy said:
You must also take into account that there are many people who rose tinted glasses and are frightened to admit they have bought a bad vehicle.

Plus also take into account the people who wouldn't know the difference between a bad car and good car. I have a very good friend who claims he puts fuel in and drives his car and that's it, he doesn't do bonnet lifting or anything else as he has no interest other than driving
Oh dear think about what your saying. I have to agree with Inchindown on this and not because I think the Antara is the best car in the world etc because its not but personally I have had my Antara for 18 months now I use it every day, it ,mosftly does city driving during the week and I treat it no different to any other car and in that time I have had no problems. Much the same as I did with my previous Zafira.

If I had issues I would be the first to complain. I agree most Vauxhall dealers are crap but then again I have had many makes of cars and find most dealers are not that good in general. I have also had many makes of car some good some bad but I have to say the Antara is one of the better ones. Like a few people on here I actually did my homework and tested all the competition befores I bought my Antara so I knew what to expect.

Some people on here have are now on their second Antara they loved the first one so much.

Unfortunately some people get a bad car or they buy something that doesn't suite their needs but that could happen to anyone and any make of car just pop onto any car forum that includes the high end brands and their will be plenty people having dealer and car issues.

It's a car that's what happens now and again unfortunately.

Can we keep this thread running without it turning into an argument please post your points and leave it at that without it ending up a 20 page argument and people end up getting stressed over nothing.
I agree with almost every every word of THIS^^^^^

Grumps said:
Sorry guys I hope you dont mind I have edited the thread. Im not sure what happened there but we are back on track again.

No disrespect Grumps but this IS an open forum, one where heated discussion & difference of opinion MUST take place- if not you run the risk of one very biased & boring forum & one which is surely destined to die through restriction of members varied opinions!!

I personally think it just as important to read the bad as the good. If you over-moderate the forum will become stagnant & die- I've seen it happen.

♠ChumBucket♠ said:
Grumps said:
Sorry guys I hope you dont mind I have edited the thread. Im not sure what happened there but we are back on track again.

No disrespect Grumps but this IS an open forum, one where heated discussion & difference of opinion MUST take place- if not you run the risk of one very biased & boring forum & one which is surely destined to die through restriction of members varied opinions!!

I personally think it just as important to read the bad as the good. If you over-moderate the forum will become stagnant & die- I've seen it happen.
Im not sure you have seen the The posts that were deleted they were nothing to do with the Antara or the the original topic and had no place on the forum or thread.

If you want to discuss it further send me a pm.

Grumps said:
♠ChumBucket♠ said:
Grumps said:

Im not sure you have seen the The posts that were deleted they were nothing to do with the Antara or the the original topic and had no place on the forum or thread.

If you want to discuss it further send me a pm.

Oh, maybe not, if that's the case then I do apologize. I thought you were referring to some members dislike of both the Antara & Vauxhall?

Well Grumps
I replied to a comment of mine and in defence of something that was said and it was in the topic and rgarding motabilitywith no bias, I used to believe that this was a country where speach was not supressed, and serving and being wounded in my service to have a country where you could speach.

Sadly I will remove my self from this forum and do really think that you should not edit or remove my post.

loves mine even with the dpf issues. but i think no matter what manufacturer diesel u buy you will have the same out come.or get a pushbike.im going out for a drive now just to put a smile on my face. oh if you like the car so much get the dpf removed if thats all the issues you have.£250 for motability and another £1000 up front.keep the car and take out the dpf.job done

davidb said:
Well Grumps
I replied to a comment of mine and in defence of something that was said and it was in the topic and rgarding motabilitywith no bias, I used to believe that this was a country where speach was not supressed, and serving and being wounded in my service to have a country where you could speach.

Sadly I will remove my self from this forum and do really think that you should not edit or remove my post.

Sorry you feel like that but as Isaac said maybe the two of you could have discussed your questions in private.It is a public forum open for anyone to read and its posts are posted all over its twitter feed so you have to accept not everyone likes to give details which you may not think are personal all over the internet.

HI wilma thats what its going to cost him to change his car on motability.cheaper to have the dpf removed n take his chance that nithing else goes wrong.

smino said:
HI wilma thats what its going to cost him to change his car on motability.cheaper to have the dpf removed n take his chance that nithing else goes wrong.
Motability would never give permission for the DPF to be removed. If you did it anyway, and they found out about it, theymight take the car away from you and couldban you from ever having a car from them again.

Bearing in mind that people who get cars through the Motability scheme are disabled in some way, It's a big risk to start chopping bits off the car. The risk of losing the car is just too high in my opinion. If I were to lose my car, it would make life very difficult for me. It's better to cancel your agreement if the car turns out not to be suitable, even if it costs a bit more.

OOOOOOOOH.......Not feeling the love in here guys !!!.......Sorry if this post goes on a little long but feel I have to say something on the DPF. Im not defending VX, the dpf system, and I certainly dont have rosey specs but feel too many people are quick to have a negative opinion but not have the information to back it up. Simply saying 3 regens in 200 miles and all finished for me is not enough for me. ( being an aircraft engineer moment !!)The arguments over DPF will never go away regardless of what manufacturer built your car. I have a had few diesels now with DPF each operated / cleaned and maintained in different ways. Reading through the forum and another well known forum I have come to the conclusion it is owners misunderstanding of the DPF system on the Antara not the car. Iam not saying there are not bad or rogue cars out there but for some people to have problems that are all similar and for others not to have any problems, including myself is a bit strange. The answer has to be how the car is driven and how the DPF is cleaned. Someone mentioned not to purchase the Antara unless you do 15k miles a year..........I would think that say 8k miles doing long journeys where the car gets to operate at its designed temp is far better that 15k miles doing regular short stop / start journeys where the car never really heats up.

As for the cleaning; when the Antara automatically enters a re-gen it is trying to clean the dpf but will not always be successful, so at some point it will try again, Iam not talking about the re-gen being interupted by shutting down the engine but just that it failed to clean it. This is just the system maintaining the DPF, cleaning it when at a certain level of soot or in most average cases every 500 miles. " periodically" as in the manual.If it continuously fails then it becomes saturated, light will come on and a forced regen is required. Now taking the logic from the manual about carrying out a regen I use this for when an auto regen occurs. The manual says "increase speed to more than 30mph. Keep engine speed above 2000 revolutions per minute" When I notice a regen happening I drop a gear or 2, at 60mph the Antara sits comfortably at 2500 revs in 4th gear.
Not being blessed with any motorways up here I infact had a re gen start 15 miles on a journey to Fort William yesterday,sat at 60mph in 4th,2500 revs, re gen finished in 6 minutes with instant fuel economy dropping 3 mpg but recovered after about 15 miles driving. So my conclusion is the regen may be auto but the driving conditions have to be correct for the Antara to carry out a successful regen of cleaning the DPF, and just needs a little help. If there was a failing of the regen system that VX use it would be that when carrying out an auto regen, a warning light of some description to tell the driver would be beneficial rather that looking for instantaneous fuel consuption etc to change.
So the guys who are having problems , be honest and let us know what your driving habits are and how you change them when a regen occurs. Before we rule the car "not fit for purpose" lets do a little work and see what we can do to help each other. If anything it will allow you to gather some evidence to present to VX and put a case over with a valid argument.

I posted mine in the dpf issue area on here. Stating that it also carried out 3 regens in 500miles.they didnt last long and didnt drop the average to much to worry about.this was 300 miles of motorway at 70.then 200 @ 50mph on a roads.during regen drop a gear n kept revs up in 2500 mark.this wouldnt be enough to make me change the car tho

I do the same wen starts i got to mway and do the regen above 2000rpm wen complete als gud but under 100miles later anorther regens starts well at minute i bin told by dealer manager they all the same the dpf was not developed for antara but through on as after thought so will always be aproblem nothing vx can do gonna get rid and get kia sportage or kuga at least there dpf last a bit longer before regens and do then in 4 miles and the rest of vx range do regens probly as developed for car

Also when it suited them to keep me quiet over the delay of deliver to take my car to 210bhp.that was ok.but if i remove my dpf thats a different option.maybe if we all put up a petion to have something done they will react. But if i start one is every prepared to go along with it.

Off Road Doc said:
OOOOOOOOH.......Not feeling the love in here guys !!!.......Sorry if this post goes on a little long but feel I have to say something on the DPF. Im not defending VX, the dpf system, and I certainly dont have rosey specs but feel too many people are quick to have a negative opinion but not have the information to back it up. Simply saying 3 regens in 200 miles and all finished for me is not enough for me. ( being an aircraft engineer moment !!)The arguments over DPF will never go away regardless of what manufacturer built your car. I have a had few diesels now with DPF each operated / cleaned and maintained in different ways. Reading through the forum and another well known forum I have come to the conclusion it is owners misunderstanding of the DPF system on the Antara not the car. Iam not saying there are not bad or rogue cars out there but for some people to have problems that are all similar and for others not to have any problems, including myself is a bit strange. The answer has to be how the car is driven and how the DPF is cleaned. Someone mentioned not to purchase the Antara unless you do 15k miles a year..........I would think that say 8k miles doing long journeys where the car gets to operate at its designed temp is far better that 15k miles doing regular short stop / start journeys where the car never really heats up.

As for the cleaning; when the Antara automatically enters a re-gen it is trying to clean the dpf but will not always be successful, so at some point it will try again, Iam not talking about the re-gen being interupted by shutting down the engine but just that it failed to clean it. This is just the system maintaining the DPF, cleaning it when at a certain level of soot or in most average cases every 500 miles. " periodically" as in the manual.If it continuously fails then it becomes saturated, light will come on and a forced regen is required. Now taking the logic from the manual about carrying out a regen I use this for when an auto regen occurs. The manual says "increase speed to more than 30mph. Keep engine speed above 2000 revolutions per minute" When I notice a regen happening I drop a gear or 2, at 60mph the Antara sits comfortably at 2500 revs in 4th gear.
Not being blessed with any motorways up here I infact had a re gen start 15 miles on a journey to Fort William yesterday,sat at 60mph in 4th,2500 revs, re gen finished in 6 minutes with instant fuel economy dropping 3 mpg but recovered after about 15 miles driving. So my conclusion is the regen may be auto but the driving conditions have to be correct for the Antara to carry out a successful regen of cleaning the DPF, and just needs a little help. If there was a failing of the regen system that VX use it would be that when carrying out an auto regen, a warning light of some description to tell the driver would be beneficial rather that looking for instantaneous fuel consuption etc to change.
So the guys who are having problems , be honest and let us know what your driving habits are and how you change them when a regen occurs. Before we rule the car "not fit for purpose" lets do a little work and see what we can do to help each other. If anything it will allow you to gather some evidence to present to VX and put a case over with a valid argument.

Explain this then. Take two of my regens, one on the motorway with constant revs at 2.5k & one on rural roads with revs not even being taken into account. Both lasted 20 mins & both guzzled lots of juice!

All our miles are m/way & long rural roads with no city driving or short journeys.

As stated (& quoted by you) we had THREE regens withing 200 miles. Now, given the info I've just stated, why do you think the regens happened? We drove from Scotland to Nottingham & back & had TWO regens within that journey! Just after this LONG MOTORWAY JOURNEY we had the THREE regens within 200 miles!!! Explain that one!

♠ChumBucket♠ said:
Off Road Doc said:

Explain this then. Take two of my regens, one on the motorway with constant revs at 2.5k & one on rural roads with revs not even being taken into account. Both lasted 20 mins & both guzzled lots of juice!

All our miles are m/way & long rural roads with no city driving or short journeys.

As stated (& quoted by you) we had THREE regens withing 200 miles. Now, given the info I've just stated, why do you think the regens happened? We drove from Scotland to Nottingham & back & had TWO regens within that journey! Just after this LONG MOTORWAY JOURNEY we had the THREE regens within 200 miles!!! Explain that one!
If I could explain then I would be working for VX and solve everyones problems !!
or maybe as stated by you " just a blip "...........Seriously though, this is what I mean. To make a case you need more info. Was this an auto regen or forced?.............Did you have a warning light?....What type of driving was being done before each regen? What indication did you go by to say the regen was over? Even down to the fuel being used. Collating this info will give a case. Not just"my car has done so many regens in so many miles" . More info need before VX would even consider looking at any car. It could be that your dpf is satutared but not enough for the light to come on , this would force the system to try and clean it and keep on cleaning it. Or for some reason something is stopping the regen before it has completed then after a few miles it is trying another regen. But the more info you gather the better chance of VX sorting it out if a problem should exist.

smino said:
Also when it suited them to keep me quiet over the delay of deliver to take my car to 210bhp.that was ok.but if i remove my dpf thats a different option.maybe if we all put up a petion to have something done they will react. But if i start one is every prepared to go along with it.
I am yes.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.