Antara Owners Club banner

strange dpf - regen behaviour

13K views 57 replies 13 participants last post by  wilma08 
#1 ·
Edited by: vexorg

#2 ·
vexorg said:
Second regen time this morning, 1100 miles. Which was bad timing as my wife had been on 2 longish trips in the past 2 days, just over 20 miles each way on Monday, and then about 20 miles each way yesterday. This morning she said it must be trying to "do it's cleaning thing" as the fan was running on. As she has no plans to go anywhere else this week other than short trips into town, I thought I'd take it for work.

The dpf light was on when I started it. And stayed on for about 20-ish miles until it had finished. There's a noticeable kick in acceleration as it finishes.

What would the light be on? It didn't come on last time. And it had a few long trips beforehand so wouldn't have had any real failed attempts.
If the lightis working correctly,it means you have failed to complete several attempts at a regen. Not really sure how many you have to miss for the light to come on. It comes on continuously when the filter starts to gets a certain percentage full and then it flashes when you are close to full.

You wife's trips amount to four possible regen attempts, so maybe that was enough to make the light come on. I've never had the light come on, so not really all that sure how it works.

#7 ·
mannp said:
I always get a flashing light, I onlyhad the continuous light once and that was when the car was new.Should I get the continuous light first before it starts to flash, if so then thats something I need to tell the dealership.
If you really are alwaysgetting the DPF warning light flashing, then I think that should be something to be concerned about. Are you absolutely sure it's the DPF warning light that's flashing?

There are three stages to a DPF regeneration.

First the car tries to do an automatic regen with no indication being given other than how it affects your MPG. For most people this happens about every 500 miles or so.

Second, if the car fails to complete several automatic regen attempts, the DPF warning light will come continuously. This means the car is telling you the filter is starting to become blocked.

Third, if you fail to complete more regens after the continuous light comes on, the light will start to flash. This is telling you the filter is almost completely blocked. At this point you should get the car on the open road and drive above 30MPH with the revs above 2000 until the light goes out. Failure to do this will cause the filter to completed block and this can have expensive consequences. You could do serious damage to the filter system and might need to have it replaced. This will not be covered by your warranty.

#9 ·
Over 15,000 miles on mine now since December and never had the dpf light come on. Have had the regens at about each 500 miles sometimes not noticed . Some i have stopped part way through if it has only just started, but if i have been driving for a while with it ongoing i will just take a scenic route home to let it complete. So apart from that slight variation i haven't altered driving habits.

If you are constantly getting light as said, I would be back at dealer going get this sorted.

#10 ·
I have only noticed one regen on my car since getting it in May 2013 it has only done 5200 miles approx, and that's mostly driving stroppy daughter to school
which is 6.5 miles there and 6.5 back home through heavy traffic in the morning stop start pain in the bum stuff, going home i manage to get on the M8 for one junction toward home so short burst if i can do 70/80 then going to pick her up another short burst on motorway and back through two villages to get home, i have never seen a light on my car, and as Innch says i would get it back to the dealers, before anything happens

All in all i do 26 miles a day to school unless i have the hospital to go to.
Edited by: wilma08

#11 ·
Inchindown said:
mannp said:
I always get a flashing light, I onlyhad the continuous light once and that was when the car was new.Should I get the continuous light first before it starts to flash, if so then thats something I need to tell the dealership.
If you really are alwaysgetting the DPF warning light flashing, then I think that should be something to be concerned about. Are you absolutely sure it's the DPF warning light that's flashing?

There are three stages to a DPF regeneration.

First the car tries to do an automatic regen with no indication being given other than how it affects your MPG. For most people this happens about every 500 miles or so.

Second, if the car fails to complete several automatic regen attempts, the DPF warning light will come continuously. This means the car is telling you the filter is starting to become blocked.

Third, if you fail to complete more regens after the continuous light comes on, the light will start to flash. This is telling you the filter is almost completely blocked. At this point you should get the car on the open road and drive above 30MPH with the revs above 2000 until the light goes out. Failure to do this will cause the filter to completed block and this can have expensive consequences. You could do serious damage to the filter system and might need to have it replaced. This will not be covered by your warranty.
I'm 100% sure its the DPF light and I only get a flashing light and thats probably twice a week.

#12 ·
There is deffo a problem there. No way should the light be coming on with such low milage!!

Done 6000k in mine since new back in June & though I've had a few ups & downs with the regens the majority have been stable at 500 mile intervals. However NEVER has the DPF light come on & we've had quite a few not finish on the first & even second attempt!

I would insist on a rectification to your issues both OP & mannp!!

Edited by: ♠ChumBucket♠

#20 ·
Ever since I started using the DPF cleaner I've had the light flashing when it's doing a regen. I can't understand why VX didn't make it like that. You know when it's doing a regen and know when it's finished.

#21 ·
2dogs, I would keep an eye on this, flashing light indicates the dpf filter is being saturated and needs a manual regen i.e above 2000 revs etc. The light does not flash to indicate it is doing a regen but flashes to indicate it needs a regen.
Iam not a fan of these cleaners, just use a good fuel. Regular use of cleaners can have adverse affects as quoted by Wynns on their webpage

"<table dir="LTR" border="1" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="7">
<t><tr><td height="34" vAlign="TOP" width="563">

Cleaning products injected in a high amount in front of the DPF by removing one of the sensors, may cause damage to the filter. In case of short distances, city traffic and stop and go, a part of the injected solution may not evaporate from the filter and can cause DPF breakdown. Similar products based on water can cause the DPF housing to rust at the inside.

</td>
<td height="34"></td>
</tr>
</t></table>

#22 ·
Off Road Doc said:
2dogs, I would keep an eye on this, flashing light indicates the dpf filter is being saturated and needs a manual regen i.e above 2000 revs etc. The light does not flash to indicate it is doing a regen but flashes to indicate it needs a regen.
Iam not a fan of these cleaners, just use a good fuel. Regular use of cleaners can have adverse affects as quoted by Wynns on their webpage

"<t></t><table dir="LTR" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="7">
<t><tr><td height="34" valign="TOP" width="563">

Cleaning products injected in a high amount in front of the DPF by removing one of the sensors, may cause damage to the filter. In case of short distances, city traffic and stop and go, a part of the injected solution may not evaporate from the filter and can cause DPF breakdown. Similar products based on water can cause the DPF housing to rust at the inside.

</td>
<td height="34"></td>
</tr>
</t></table>

That's not the relevant info Doc. That quote is regarding manual/physical flushing of the actual filter itself NOT by using a fuel additive.

#26 ·
vexorg said:
Dropped the car off and then spent another 10 minutes explaining why it was booked in again, as the book in sheet had the fault of "dpf light and fans staying on for too long".

"So, the light's not on now?", god knows what they'll really check today.
All i can say is all the best and very very good luck to you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.