Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Antara is struggling to start, particularly on cold mornings, it does start eventually and after pleading with it!,

Could this be a case of needing a new starter motor? If so any idea if this is going to be an expensive fix.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Get the battery checked out, as it gets colder weak batteries start to fail as the engine needs more to turn over. Any garage will check it for you or call out RAC, AA if you have cover, tell them your car is failing to start. They will check battery and your alternator.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If a starter motor turns the engine over then it's got enough go in it (unlikely).

If it is not turning fast enough, check the battery, must have over 12VDC (actual full charge should be about 14VDC).

Two causes of non-starting after that are ignition (all the electrics incl ECU) and fuel.
Diesel ignition on a cold morning is glow-plug heaters. Wait until the glow-plug lamp goes out? (read the book). Or they could be non-functional (crudded up).
Diesel fuel on a cold morning is thick fuel oil. Pumps used to switch over to a winter fuel, I don't know if they still do (is it all-year now?). One of my mates used to stick a Primus under the fuel line on his landie whilst we beat a hasty retreat to a safe distance still eating breakfast in field. Could be injectors etc.
Check both.

For batteries in the south of England try Berkshire Parts and Panels 0118 981 7555(if they're still going, I cannot find a website) they are/were the main OEM distributors of batteries in s.England.
Edited by: jefrs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.