Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They all said it couldn't be done but I have just replaced the starter motor on my 2.2 4wd Manual 6 spd A22DM (Engine) without removing the transfer box/exhaust or any part of the drive train. Not an easy task and some unusual tools are required. I had the dreaded starter click and a look at the starter solenoid showed heat damage (I do not have the upgraded wiring as mine is not an automatic might look into changing if I can find the part no) I found this video on You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWL4QJVdKw (the only one who says it can be done) could do with being a bit more decriptive but I managed to work it out. The unusual tools I used were a 15mm offset/cranked ring spanner and a long 600mm 1/2" socket extension. I also ended up removing the battery & tray, engine bay fuse box and lifting the coolant header tank out of the way to reach the starter top bolt. You will require a lot of patience, plasters for cuts & scrapes, nobody in hearing distance for swearwords. If you need any advice or pointers I will be glad to help.
Apologies if you have already seen on facebook page.

· Registered
6 Posts
I have had two starter motors blow in 4 weeks. I see you said about the upgraded wiring? Mine is an automatic. Please can you explain what you mean? I currently can't use the car without fear of the third starter motor blowing but if there is cabling I can get to stop this I need to do this asap. Cheers

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi BJM,
As I understand it there was a re-call to change the cable from a two piece to a one piece but I think it only applied to vehicles with stop/start if you do a search it will come up. found this it may help you to understand. Also the actual starter motor for a stop/start vehicle is different not sure why but probably more 'robust' to cope with the increased use and the vehicle battery is also different.
Below is copied from an earlier post by Victor Starter Cable Recalls it helped me so Thanks Victor.

The early design had the starter cable going from the + battery terminal to the terminal on the starter solenoid then there was a separate cable going from the solenoid terminal to the alternator. This was the cause of some trouble with connections etc and finally there was a re-design which made the two cables into one (see pic for old and new design) which should be factory fitted on all Antara from arounf MY 2014 / 2015.
Vertebrate White Product Purple Organism

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi Nauts, that is amazing thanks very much. Very interesting!!! I've got it booked into Vauxhall so I'm sure if it is this they'll sort it out. Unfortunately they've told me the recall had expired as of September 2022 which is a kick in the teeth so will need to pay for the repair. I'm shocked that recalls have expiry dates.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi BJM, no worries glad it helped, I would appreciate an update when VX have looked at yours and also if its possible a part number for the wiring upgrade.

Happy New Year 😀

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi BJM, have you had your Antara sorted? How much it was?
I have the same issue. Just called a Vauxhall dealer and they told me it wasn't a recall but a warranty coverage.
Hi L.Z,

So Vauxhall put my issue down to a faulty wiring harness. This was read off the diagnostic check.

They also advised, in addition to the new harness, I would need a new starter motor. I questioned why as the one I just had fitted was brand new. They explained they can only fit a genuine Vauxhall wiring harness to a genuine Vauxhall starter motor.

Still unsure if this is right but what can I do?? I have to go with what they say. Essentially with both new parts, labour and VAT it's costing me £1375.

However I get peace of mind it's being doing properly and I get all the parts warranty so any starter motor issues it's covered by warranty.

My advice, get it straight into Vauxhall don't mess around with other garages. They've been brilliant and currently have a courtesy car from them whilst I wait for no cost.

· Registered
7 Posts
Couldn’t you get anything from them to help you since it is a design flaw?

I cannot help but feel they are in the wrong since the car I purchased was only serviced in a main dealer and they had it as part exchange.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts