Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I just bought my antara, I have had it a week now, the problem I have is with no spare wheel, I thought I would try vauxhall for a spare and the advised a space saver wheel, but when I looked to where the wheel would go there would be no space,
Does anyone know if I order this spare do I have to order some sort of kit for the spare wheel well

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is a thread somewhere on the forum giving you more info I bought mine when we got our Antara which worked out at around £250 including jack etc

Hope this helps

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi you take centre piece out of wheel well, a torx screw holds it in Then wheel will fit

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have just bought a new 63 Antarra and ordered the space saver wheel but unfortunately the new model will not accommodate the wheel ( vx have changed the under floor bout space ) any suggestions anybody . Very disappointed that our dealer advised on the spare wheel and we are now being told it can't be fitted . They have offered to collect the wheel but we will only be left with the emergency kit and we need to tow

·
Registered
257 Posts
Can you put a pic of the revised underfloor boot space upAs on mine you have to remove centre bit that t inflation kit sits in one big screw in centre and lift the plastic bit out before fitting spare wheel

Edited by: HoneyMonster

·
Registered
184 Posts
and we need to tow
I wouldn't advise towing with a space saver.

I have a 2013 model.
I bought a full size 6.5J Steel wheel and tyre ( sold as "winter tyres" )
I started a thread on this some time back - I will locate it and post the link here :)

EDIT:
found it.
click here

The design can't have changed that significantly surely ?
The centre of the expanded foam section needs a torx fitment to remove it.
I am sure that a spare will fit in.

Edited by: KenB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry not managed to put pic up car is not with me today . There is no longer foam/polystyrene under the floor to accommodate a spare wheel but instead solid storage like compartments .

·
Registered
184 Posts
joner said:
Sorry not managed to put pic up car is not with me today . There is no longer foam/polystyrene under the floor to accommodate a spare wheel but instead solid storage like compartments .
That's a bit naughty of VX.
If you can't get a spare in you will have to carry it in the caravan / boot ........not ideal.
All VX are doing with this change is driving people away who would want to use the car for towing.

Is the storage compartment a permanent fixture?
I bet the threaded hole is still there underneath it.

Look forward to seeing a pic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Decided to post this to help those with the latest Antara in need of a spare. My Antara (an Opel) is of the new kind which does not have the wheel well pictured above. It is possible to remove the large solid plastic insert that has replaced the foam of old. It is held in place by two bolts, a couple of weird screws and several rubber screw-like things. Underneath is a large more or less flat rectangular recess. There is no threaded hole on the bottom of the trunk which means that a spare tire cannot be fastened using the bolt provided with it. I tried using one of my 17-inch summer tires as a spare -- it went in alright but was far too wide and lifted the floor cover (this too is of a new design and folds in three or four sections). A space saver tire from ebay fitted in nicely but was too thin and the cover and liner were drooping in a way I did not like at all. One will therefore have to find a way to fill in the spaces around and above the space saver other than dumping old blankets and stuff there. On the plus side, the tire does not seem to be bouncing round the trunk under normal driving conditions. And one more note -- this new folding cover latches on to the plastic insert. When the insert is removed the cover has nothing to latch to and sort of lies there in painful need of support from below. One has to wonder why GM is so determined to make drivers' lives difficult -- it first got rid of the full-size spare, then discarded the space saver, replacing it with the glue thing, and has now made a very good attempt at preventing people from putting in their own spares. I had not had a flat in 10 years and then had three in a year, including one punctureof the sidewall of the tire. How can a can of glue fix that?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hi, I have a 63 (2013) antara. I took the plastic frame/holder out of the boot by removing the screws and the rear cover screws.I put the rear cover back (fixing the screws) and that sits nicely on top of the full size spare and the 215/70x16 tyre.
there is also room for my trolley jack.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the same problem with my new antara . I have the hard plastic frame with pockets in it . I was going to cut the plastic frame so the wheel sites in the middle and keep the back and front so the hing and catch will still work ( I hope)
Do you think this will work with the 16 inch steel wheel as I have not got the wheel or removed the frame yet. If I was not going to tow I would keep the plastis frame as the the storage is a good idea but for a 4x4 tow car not to good.
Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
@keeff I have the same idea with cutting the plastic to leave a gap to allow the spare wheel and tools to sit securely but leave the catch for the hinged floor.

Still waiting for my wheel to arrive to see if the plan is feasible.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I still haven't got a wheel and tyre . Have you order a new one or got a old one from eBay ?
I have only had the car for 6 days but finding better than I had expected . Lovely smooth ride and very low noise levels compared with the hyundia with had a test drive in .

·
Registered
782 Posts
Has the moulding under the boot floor changed recently?
With my 2012 model, the centre section of the moulding is easily removed by means of one screw. This provides the space for the wheel and leaves all the pockets and other stuff in place.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I only got the car on saturday so the dealer has ordered me a wheel,tyre and jack at cost price.

The moulding under the floor now has several pockets all from hard plastic.

·
Registered
782 Posts
bigjohnscots said:
I only got the car on saturday so the dealer has ordered me a wheel,tyre and jack at cost price.

The moulding under the floor now has several pockets all from hard plastic.
Can you post a picture of it so I can compare it with mine?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have just ordered from a GM dealer an insert that fits around and on top of the space saver wheel. They assured me that it will fit in the new Antara, filling in the vacant spaces at the bottom of the trunk and providing support for the cover. I don't know what the thing is made of (the GM folks didn't have a clue and only had a drawing of it) but I remember seeing it on the web. Can't find it now though. Will post more info when i get it, in three or four days if they keep their word.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My boot looks like this with the wheel in place. The floor is well supported and the catches still lock into the original slots.

T
[/url][/IMG]Edited by: Inchindown

·
Registered
214 Posts
That is the old under floor support . The new one is solid plastic with handy storage pockets in it but it look like the floor is hinged and the catch is in it as well . So if we just remove the whole plastic frame the floor will have nothing the fix to.
That's is how it looks to me. I will have a go at posting a photo of it if I can but would like to see a photo of the part you have ordered from vauxhall when you get it.

Keith

·
Registered
390 Posts
For a spare wheel and tyre try www.mytyres .co.uk and use the wheel rim and tyre option. 16'' steel wheel and tyre of your choice price from about £130 complete.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts