Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well if you go for it, please post some pics. I have built several of these and as it happens I'm building one at the moment. My tyres are 37" and weigh 60kgs each so it has to be strong (no, this isn't for the Antara) They do present some challenges though. You can go with a body mounted hinge or with a chassis mount. I prefer the chassis option. Also remember that if you fit a rear carrier they cover you number plate so that needs relocating but if you hinge the carrier on the nearside, you won't cover the fog light which must be central or to the off side. The next challenge is the locking mechanism. I have devised a few and really like ones that slam closed and need a lever or pin to unlock. Also good to fit a hold open catch as well so that the tyre doesn't bash the side of your car in when you let go. Here's an early version. Easier as I built the bumper as well.

This is one that I cantilevered off a chassis rail. You could come up off the towing bracket mounting points. Flexing is the big enemy but an Antara wheel and tyres isn't that heavy.

Best of luck. Going to be the AA for me if the puncture kit doesn't work though. Company car so not spending my money on a solution this time

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.