Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since owning an Antara I've become increasingly frustrated with the lack of room for a full size spare wheel space ( mine takes 19 inch wheels). As I was a design engineer before retiring I decided to see what I could come up with. At present I'm playing around with a design that puts the spare wheel on the rear door cradled in a tubular frame. By replacing the door struts it should still be easy enough the lift the door without having to go to the gym first. Like this it still leaves the whole load space free and should look good enough (a bit like the ML ones) to add to the design of the Antara.

Would anyone else be interested in owning one if I go ahead and have some made up in the New Year?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't wish to spoil your creative juices, but most of us on here who have bought real spare wheels have simply removed the centre section of the floor moulding and put the spare wheel in its place.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hell no, I'm not one for blocking creation but this sounds a step too far for me, I will stick with the RAC, that said if you pull it off I would be the first to offer my recognition for your ingenuity.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi Ian,

Can I offer a simpler solution, raise the boot floor by 25mm. It just takes a strip of wood at the back and a couple of blocks at the front. Then a 19" full size alloy fits and the floor closes level. No holes in the tail gate, no new gas struts, and nobody pinches it! Trust me I was a teacher..... photos elsewhere on forum.

·
Registered
91 Posts
SJG said:
Hell no, I'm not one for blocking creation but this sounds a step too far for me, I will stick with the RAC, that said if you pull it off I would be the first to offer my recognition for your ingenuity.
Forgetting to cancel one, I'm currently in the RAC and the AA, I can trigger a 'major incident response team' upon a puncture.

My last car had the wheel on the boot, one of my criteria this time was not to have, so not for me, however ingenuity is always to be applauded..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well if you go for it, please post some pics. I have built several of these and as it happens I'm building one at the moment. My tyres are 37" and weigh 60kgs each so it has to be strong (no, this isn't for the Antara) They do present some challenges though. You can go with a body mounted hinge or with a chassis mount. I prefer the chassis option. Also remember that if you fit a rear carrier they cover you number plate so that needs relocating but if you hinge the carrier on the nearside, you won't cover the fog light which must be central or to the off side. The next challenge is the locking mechanism. I have devised a few and really like ones that slam closed and need a lever or pin to unlock. Also good to fit a hold open catch as well so that the tyre doesn't bash the side of your car in when you let go. Here's an early version. Easier as I built the bumper as well.

This is one that I cantilevered off a chassis rail. You could come up off the towing bracket mounting points. Flexing is the big enemy but an Antara wheel and tyres isn't that heavy.

Best of luck. Going to be the AA for me if the puncture kit doesn't work though. Company car so not spending my money on a solution this time

1 - 6 of 6 Posts