Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out food shopping which is the least leisurable form of shopping,
I was parked in a disabled parking bay nice and neatly, came back to my beautiful White Antara only to find that some horrible pig
had marked my car next to the petrol cap a lovely red and black 12 inch mark, I could not believe it, I got upset and these guys came over to have a look, saying people are absolutely unbelievable, your car is not that old hen that's terrible, another one said you have a really nice looking as well, not helpful, third guy go to halfords and get tea cut , another said get tip ex, by this time I was crying 1) because I was feeling unwell with pain 2)I felt proper gutted, because I love my car looking nice and unspoilt.
Went home and husband looked at it shook his head and then went to work its all fixed now, I know now why I married him
, but anyway thank you to the person that made by day feel worse due to not feeling well

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Just typical of the drivers out their these days.

Glad it's fixed now. Sometimes these things look worse than they are.

·
Registered
233 Posts
As Grumps said its typical these days, probably went away smirking saying that will teach you for having a new car. I have some scuffs on my rear bumper from a supermarket car park, unsure if it was done by a car or trolley.........Glad you got it sorted Wilma

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys it is just so unbelievable what ever goes through people's minds, I feel your pain off road doc we had a new MG ZT 1.8 turbo at the time it was a 53 plate two days old and as usual the supermarket area of death it happened parked away miles from any othier car and the passenger wing had a dent from a trolley it's absulatley sickening, people just do not give a flying you know what, I take it you Canute get it fixed ?

Grumps I think I was over emotional due to being in a lot of pain as I am not coping with it that well and secondly you and Everyman on this site new how excited I was about getting this car, and I also like my car looking good, I was tought to look after things be it mine or othier people's from a very young age and it has stuck with me lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
It can be fixed Wilma, but quoted £260 for removal or more likely disguising 3 scuff marks, the longest being about 35mm long. I will live with it for now but puts me off spending time polishing the Antara when I know I have these scuffs !!

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Off Road Doc said:
It can be fixed Wilma, but quoted £260 for removal or more likely disguising 3 scuff marks, the longest being about 35mm long. I will live with it for now but puts me off spending time polishing the Antara when I know I have these scuffs !!
What you need to do depending on how deep the scuffs are is either use some very fine wet and dry and then tcut it. Or just tcut if its not deep. If its really deep get yourself one of those cooking micro torches Like this and very very gently flame the scuff and I guarantee you won't see it once you use some bumper gel. One thing to watch don't over do the flaming or you will discolour the bumper.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Try Chipsaway for the bumper I believe they offer a repair service for plastic bumpers - I was told that the stipple effect is hard to replicate on these types of bumpers and trim, something to do with manufacturing process used.

I am afraid that this type of thing is just systematic of the society in which we live. My antara has been done twice in 4 months. The police don't really have the resources to investigate fully, hence drivers know they have a really good chance of getting away with so they choose to say nowt, leave no notes and leg it as quickly as they can.

It won't do any good, (I know this but did make me feel a bit better) I have wrote to my MP and Police and Crime Commissioner stating that more needs to be done in holding these drivers to account for their actions. I personal say get caught doing it and should be an automatic ban.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I feel your pain. Unfortunately whilst parked at work I've suffered all sorts of damage to my cars over the years (I work in a town centre location so not the best of areas to park in). Highlights include being broken into (twice) being crashed into (and the car / driver leaving the scene) and being keyed (twice).

Some people just don't seem to care about other peoples possessions anymore.

But glad your hubby got you all fixed nice and quick

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Off Road Doc said:
I was told about the torche / heat gun thing.I havent seen it done.its having the guts to do it Grumps !!!
It does work and its pretty easy to do I have done it a couple of times. My wife has a dislike for the wrought iron fence outside my house!!!!. But if you want get one of those smart repair guys to have a look they are usually pretty cheap.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am very sorry to learn of your bad day Wilma - both regarding your pain and the car (which probably caused more pain but of a different sort). I am glad that your other half was able to fix the car at least.

You mentioned that you were brought up to look after your own and other peoples things. That is the way it was and, fortunately, the way most people still are brought up. The problem are the others who do not have this kind of upbringing and that their numbers are ever increasing.

When I was a lad a copper would give you a good clout around the ears if he saw you doing something wrong (if not too serious). Now he would be facing the Police Complaints Committee and probably end up getting sacked if he handed out a bit of simple and effective justice. They may have all the good intentions in the world but the tree-huggers who are so concerned about political correctness etc. are not strengthening society but undermining it.

I know I am getting old(er) and grumpy(ier) but I see society in general on a greasy down-hill slope.

Anyway, I hope you do not experience this kind of problem again. Keep chirpy Wilma

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Wilma, sorry to hear about your problems but very pleased the car is sorted. More importantly I hope your managing your pain better. I to would be disappointed if someone damaged my car, but my health is not as bad as yours. X
Spantara I agree with what you say.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi All,Wilma I am sorry to hear about your painful experiences, both car and health.
I also agree with Spantara

'I know I am getting old(er) and grumpy(ier) but I see society in general on a greasy down-hill slope.'

I too remember as a youngster being told off by a policeman for just pushing not riding my bike on the pavement. Now I regularly see policemen on bikes riding on the pavement. Times change!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone I strongly agree with Spantara and the othiers that say socitity is on a downward spiral due to this political correctness , and as the same as you when I was young and done something wrong you would get a clout of the local policeman more so in my case as the police force and nursing ran in the family anunts uncles and even grandparents, no luck they're then lol.
Allistair fixed my lovely White Antara for me and did not say a word so I felt better in that Senice. But today I had to go see the GP, and did not get good news so the pain thing might stop me from driving plus I have to go for a MMR scan, so yesterday I was probably more emotional than usual, us women lol and Spantara I will keep the chin up lol but I would have rather put ma foot up someone's bum yesterday.if I would have seen who done it, Allistair says I have to stop worrying about the car because its fine now until next time lol

·
Registered
571 Posts
Allistair is right, I used to think a car was the most important thing in my life and woe betide anybody who touched it. At the end of the day it is just a bit of metal (very expensive metal), but your health is more important. Edited by: Dilligaf

·
Registered
96 Posts
I`m glad the damage wasn`t too bad, and it`s all sorted for you now Wilma. I`ve lost count of the amount of knocks, bangs, and other damage I`ve found on my cars over the years, upon returning to them.

I thought I would mention something I saw myself, just a few months ago, whilst parked on my local ASDA, waiting for my other half to return with the shopping. A quite elderly woman, came out of the main entrance, with a trolley so overfull, that she couldn`t control it. It rolled away from her, and the front n/side corner of the very heavy shopping trolley went nearly the full length down the side of a parked car, making a huge deep scratch as it went. The woman grabbed back hold of the trolley, and was about to make off without a second thought, when the owner of the car, who had obviously seen what had happened, came running across, and collared her !!. He went ballistic, and who can blame him, but even then, she still tried to walk away, struggling with the over laden trolley !!. Last thing I saw, as my other half had by then returned, was the car owner pushing the trolley full of shopping back into the store, with the woman still protesting loudly, closely behind. At least he had nabbed the culprit, but how he would get on with his Insurance Claim, I have no idea !!.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I dont get so attached to my cars, they can always be fixed and accidents will always happen. No point getting upset about it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
vexorg said:
I dont get so attached to my cars, they can always be fixed and accidents will always happen. No point getting upset about it.
Yes this is true but why should my no claims bonus be effected due to some inconsiderate A Hole, I have 25 + no claims plus I am always careful around othier people's property so why can't they respect mine or othiers, plus I alway value things when bought for me
Edited by: wilma08

·
Registered
179 Posts
Vexorg, You must be a stoical man; I would feel absolutely gutted, and if I could find who did it I'd rip their head off and stick up their ass!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts