Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am thinking of getting some snow socks,but not sure of their performance. Maybe chains are the way to go! Has anyone had any experiences, good or bad? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AntaraMatt said:
Snow socks are a pain, they do work well but only on the snow, they will tear up on tarmac and you are limited to 30mph. Go for winter tyres, they will get you where you need to go any weather.
Even in my 2 wd?. Thinking I my next Antara will be 4wd.

·
Registered
78 Posts
just to add my thoughts,

I had a 2.5 jaguar with snow socks and it was fantastic in the snow, they provided the 4X4 lump with just enough grip to climb anything that the weather couild throw at it. Unfortunately, they cost approx £100 for front and rear, lasted a year!!!!!

On the Ant, I have a set of winter tyres, yup approx £125 a corner and only needed for approx 2 months a year, but the difference in grip and stopping is massive and although I originally was a sceptic, I am now an avid supporter of winter tyres.

I have had these winter tyres for 3 years now and they still look like new!!!!

Travel wise, I work in Bradford and live in Glossop, so going accross country when it gets a little icy and snowy has proven no issue for my '58 Antara and I think nothing of driving it normally through snow.

Ice, now thats a little different and everyone takes it like they are driving like miss daisy

Edited by: jul3s

·
Registered
217 Posts
Snow socks work great in emergency situations and will get you hom, they are not designed for every day winter use, the same can be said of chains really. For all round safety and performance winter tyres are the way forward.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello MrAntara12,
Thank you for getting back to me.
I have got 235/55 r18 fitted on mine, what have you got?
Sounds good, 20K and still going strong...what brand and model are they?

Also can you tell me if you get a knocking noise from lock to lock(when hitting the end)on your Antara?
It's very obvious with the engine's runing.
I took the car back to vauxhall(stillcovered by warrenty)and they compared it with an other Antara.They said it was normal when steering columnhits the end of full lock.
BUT they replaced the steering rack as mine was noiser than the one on the other car?
Noise hasn't gone tho!!

I'mcuriousto know if all Antara's/cars are like that?

·
Registered
211 Posts
nicobureau said:
Hello MrAntara12,
Thank you for getting back to me.
I have got 235/55 r18 fitted on mine, what have you got?
Sounds good, 20K and still going strong...what brand and model are they?

Also can you tell me if you get a knocking noise from lock to lock(when hitting the end)on your Antara?
It's very obvious with the engine's runing.
I took the car back to vauxhall(stillcovered by warrenty)and they compared it with an other Antara.They said it was normal when steering columnhits the end of full lock.
BUT they replaced the steering rack as mine was noiser than the one on the other car?
Noise hasn't gone tho!!

I'mcuriousto know if all Antara's/cars are like that?
You have the same tyre size as mine. I bought my all weather tyres from ASDA tyres, google it! Basically i put the best i could afford on. I have mitchelin lapitude cross's on an they have been really good. I have just recently swapped them (fronts to the back, back to the front) around but i have had no problems with them. I paid £165 per corner but theyare well worth the money and i will be getting more once these have worn. They give good grip in any weather.

No my antara does not make any funny noises from lock to lock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have used winter tyres on my last 3 cars and the difference is unbelievable. My antara on it's 20 inch wheels and standard tyres will probably manage 10 yards in the snow whereas with winter tyres, well they are all terrain, it can practically go anywhere. The sure footedness is brilliant

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've now fitted all-year Conti 4x4 Contact because the OEM Hankook fronts were becoming iffy on corners. They're M+S which I gather means muck and snot. Not full-on winter tyres, which we don't need here. Ok in German winters too except up the alps.

Btw correct recent fitment for 184 SE Nav (Auto 4x4) is now 235/50R19 99V - V not H, Vx seem to have changed the spec

The Hankook were pretty good warm in summer. These Contis seem just as good in the cold.
I normally prefer Michelin but they don't make one for 19-in, nor do Continental except as "MO" Merc fitment so guess what. It's funny how one make/model will suit a particular car best, except Pirelli because they don't: three times they're tried to kill me with serious defects so they're out.

Edited by: jefrs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.