Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We plan to drive to France to ski in February 2014 (not my idea of fun but kids/wife want to do it) & I know I require snow chains for the area we are going to.
Problem: The AA recommend snow chains be fitted to all driven wheels (4)
The only snow chain that fits - apparently - is the expensive Thule Easy-fit SUV at around £310.00 a pair, so £620.00 to solve this problem.
Do `ordinary` & cheaper snow chains fit ok to a 2013 Antara to give me a cheaper option please?
Thanks for advice from people who have solved this problem without spending huge amounts of money.

John 25.11.13
[email protected]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello btk,

Thanks for your speedy response!
Tyre size is 235/50/19 all round.
The XB-16 might be the way to go.

Thanks

John 25.11.13

·
Registered
782 Posts
From what I've read about snow chains, you have to be careful which ones you fit. Some of them can interfere with the stuff that's behind the wheel and can cause damage when steering at or near full lock. I'dmake sure any snow chains I might fit were OK for the Antara.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Inchindown,

That`s my point of concern.
I may be forced down the Thule (expensive) route to accommodate the wheel arch dimensions.
Thanks for your advice, I`ll have to get definitive advice from Vauxhall (not always useful) or Thule - confused website.

Thanks

John 25.11.13

·
Registered
50 Posts
rather than pay a huge amount for snow chains why not fit a set of winter tyres ?

My local guy who is very good will charge 110 per tyre so £440 total you can thenswop them for summerbetter and cheaper .

Cheap snow chains available from aldi as well about £20 a set

Also don't forget the Antara only drives the front wheels until it detect traction problems

·
Registered
74 Posts
I drive in the alps all the time. There is a composite chain by Michelin

Michelin easy grip ( google it) they are fully TUV certified so are legal for use on roads where carrying chains are required. They perform as well. If not better than standard chains and will not damage your wheels. Fitting them is the same as putting on a sockmuch easier than fitting chains.

I have a set for my antara but have never needed to use them. The winter tyres always seem to cope with everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts