Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My Antara SE Nav is 18 months old, and now done 18K miles. Really superb car, no problems until now (DPF gripes aside!!). Anyway, I noticed road noise, droning sound, at 20mph increasing in volume, worst at about 50mph. Was OK last Wednesday, but seemed to start happening on Thursday. Took the car into Kwik fit and had all the tyres checked - 30% remaining on front and 60% remaining on the rear - all original Hankook tyres. Kwik Fit technician suspected "castelation" or "blocking" due to issues with suspension. Not convinced by this I asked him to check the balancing on the rear tyres and swap the front and rear tyres to even the wear. He said this wouldnt make a difference to the road noise - he was right! So, the car is with local Vauxhall dealer now for investigation. My theory is that the due to the front tyres being worn more than the rear ones, then effectively this means that the front ones are going faster than the rear ones - if that is the case, could it be enough to confuse the intelligent 4x4 and engage 4x4 permanently. As there is no indicator for 4 wheel drive I cant tell. It could be a wheel bearing - or could be some issue with the Hankooks, but they look OK to me and why would they get noisy overnight? I thought the tyres were doing amazing, and wasnt expecting to fork out for new ones for some time. If they have failed due to fault or design issue with the vehicle, should I get new ones under the warranty? Anyone had anything similar?

·
Registered
782 Posts
A couple of months ago I also had a droning sound coming from one of the front wheels which was also worse around 50 to 60 mph.
Turned out to be a worn/faulty wheel bearing. Dealer fixed it under warranty.

You can listen to the sound I was getting on this YouTube clip.

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/ivdzqeJ8R_o[/TUBE]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats very interesting, your getting the noise with the wheels off the ground on the video. My local vx garage have deduced that the tyres are to blame on my car and Im forking out £300 for two new tyres. Presumably they have done a similar test. In fairness, Ive never had 18K miles out of a set of front tyres on any vehicle so I shouldnt complain. Lets see if the problem goes away.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Difficult to believe it would be the tyres. I would take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

As for the tyre wear its normal for the front to wear more. The car is still front wheel drive and under normal road and weather conditions the AWD wont kick in. Even in snow you hardly notice the the rear wheels kick in.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the same with are 9 month old se nav. It has been in the dealer and all looks ok. We are using it at the moment for towing the caravan and it is getting worse . When we get back next week I am going to book it in again as we are going to France in September and want it fixed by then.
We have only 6000 mile on clock and all tyres are like new.
We have a noisy gearbox and the dealer has agreed with that so hoping to get it all sorted
I am hoping it is wheel bearing but think it might be the cheap tyres they use .
Keep use up to date and I will do the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well .... I asked the service engineer to do the same test in the video. He said they would. Today, I was told that they had already established that the wheel bearings were ok and new tyres were needed, no further testing required! I picked the car up at 5.30, and guess what - they changed a wheel bearing - AND the tyres! We are sending the tyres away to claim a refund as they are castellized. Im not convinced by this so we'll see how that pans out. Strikes me that if they had done what I asked yesterday, there would have been no need to change the tyres, but they said that vx policy is to change the tyres first.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Thats a decent result Dave just a shame they had to mess you about. I wonder if mentioning the forum helped convince them to have another look.

The Hankook tyres fitted are not budget and to be honest I was dubious of them myself but after two and a half years and 27000 miles I am very happy with them. They always perform well whatever the weather and road condition. When I replace them I will probably go for another set.

They are fitted as standard on quite a few models of SUV but mainly the Korean models.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed, I think the tyres are excellent, and great value. The remaining two of mine look like they should last until the end of the lease in 18 months. I have noticed white corrosion appearing on one of the wheels. I think vx will fix this under warranty

·
Registered
782 Posts
My Hankooks look like they are brand new after 13000 miles.
The fact they are resting on the rafters in my garage probably has something to do with their pristine condition.

I didn't like the Hankooks when I got the car, so I bought a set of Dunlop All-Seasons tyres and found them to be really good in the winter with tremendous grip in the wet. Not showing much signs of wear either.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Inchindown said:
My Hankooks look like they are brand new after 13000 miles.
The fact they are resting on the rafters in my garage probably has something to do with their pristine condition.

I didn't like the Hankooks when I got the car, so I bought a set of Dunlop All-Seasons tyres and found them to be really good in the winter with tremendous grip in the wet. Not showing much signs of wear either.
If you ever think about selling your Hankooks George I might be interested.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi grumps,

I'm afraid I have to refit the hankooks before I hand the car back to Motability at the end of my lease. It was a condition of me fitting my own tyres that the originals have to be put back on.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Inchindown said:
Hi grumps,

I'm afraid I have to refit the hankooks before I hand the car back to Motability at the end of my lease. It was a condition of me fitting my own tyres that the originals have to be put back on.
That's okay they expect you to hand the car back with worn tyres I can help you out with that

·
Registered
782 Posts
Grumps said:
Inchindown said:
Hi grumps,

That's okay they expect you to hand the car back with worn tyres I can help you out with that
That sounds like a really good idea, but I'm afraid I must decline right now. I need to keep the Hankooks to use as spares. One of the conditions for me fitting my own tyres was that Motability withdrew the normal facility of being able to get a full set of tyre replacements if needed during the lease.

So if I have any tyre problems with my All seasons tyres, I would have to refit the Hankooks.

My dealer told me I should not have asked Motability's permission to change the tyres, as they would not have known otherwise, and I would still have had the option of the replacement tyres.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts