Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site,my Antara is going to the paint shop next week as the tailgate is starting to rust,car is only 9 months old.just checking to see if any one else is having the same problem,The rust is starting to appear on the offside corner of the tailgate,If you look at the gap between the bumper and the tailgate,if it is the same as mine the bumper is not fitted properly,and the paint is rubbing off at the corner of the tailgate.Also the chrome strip along the tailgate at the top edge paintwork starting to rust.As I said going to the vauxhall paint shop on the 24th February,hope they sort it out.My Antara is the two wheel drive diamond. Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the info. As you have probably read the chrome strip causing rust on the tailgate is a known issue but on the corner is a new one so its worth people checking out their Antara.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Would be interesting to hear how many people have issues with rust on the tail gate, I keep an eye on it and nearly 12 months in from new no sign of anything yet.
Hope you get sorted Johny.Edited by: SJG

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mine had the rust on tailgate at 3 months old from the chrome strip rubbing against metal. Also the garage was aware of this being a problem. They also removed plastic panel by wiper and refitted with tape inside as they said that was another known chafing spot.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm loosing it, I have just been out with a torch to take a close look.. Think I need to read less on the forum...

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
SJG said:
I'm loosing it, I have just been out with a torch to take a close look.. Think I need to read less on the forum...
if your that worried the chrome trim is easy to take off to check behind it and put some tape on to protect your paintwork.

Not that I have been that worried and looked

·
Registered
257 Posts
This is how small mine was when it started just a slight discolouration just above second A in Antara . But they wouldnt do anything till blistering appeared stupid in my view. As tackle at start and wouldnt have needed respray. There first step was wipe with a bit of tcut and lo and behold reappeared 3 months later :)

Edited by: HoneyMonster

·
Registered
365 Posts
Had my Antaras first service last Friday and they didn't stamp the anti-perforation inspection part of it just the normal service part and I have just found a spot of rust just underneath the rear window,right hand side.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Go back to them and informer heathery never done a full check on the car as they should have done and failed to notice the rust and that you trusted them to point out potential problems to you

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yep I am going to contact them tomorrow,big local dealer as well,i am surprised or is it the norm!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I second that, if you read up the corrosion check is and should be a free standard part of any Vauxhall garage service, if you don't get your service at a Vauxhall garage they Vauxhall can do this corrosion inspection but I believe they rip you off, erm sorry, I meant charge you for it, £29 I think. So if you had it serviced by Vauxhall go straight back to the garage, maybe get the book stamped them point the rust out...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hi, the only issue I have with the tailgate, is it never shuts 1st time. I appears to be a pressure thing within the car. If the door or window is open, it shuts OK.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not had that with the Antara but had it on a previous car.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Guess what my husband found when washing the car for me yes you guessed it RUST along the tail gate on a nine month old car, his response was what goes around comes around because he has it on his 18 month car Captiva he's having a wee laugh ( bugger) a nice phone call to the garage tomorrow and vauxhall customer care
Edited by: wilma08

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Johny said:
New to the site,my Antara is going to the paint shop next week as the tailgate is starting to rust,car is only 9 months old.just checking to see if any one else is having the same problem,The rust is starting to appear on the offside corner of the tailgate,If you look at the gap between the bumper and the tailgate,if it is the same as mine the bumper is not fitted properly,and the paint is rubbing off at the corner of the tailgate.Also the chrome strip along the tailgate at the top edge paintwork starting to rust.As I said going to the vauxhall paint shop on the 24th February,hope they sort it out.My Antara is the two wheel drive diamond. Cheers
Husband found it on the corner on the driver side at the end of the chrome strip my car is 9 months old now two

·
Registered
365 Posts
A good thing about this forum it makes you aware of things and possibly before its too late to mention things to the dealer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You are right Cadds. Can anyone give a diagram of potential 'problem areas' and if anyone has done any preventative work, what did they do and how did they do it? It is all very well being covered by a corrosion warranty, but it would be nice not to have to get that far. What is the old saying.. 'prevention is better than cure'

Any help and advice would be a great help to the forum.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have read previously that putting tape behind the chrome strip stops it rubbing the paint but I would fear being accused of causing a corrosion problem if I did this with all the best intentions and they determined that I had dismantled and modified the part... I don't think everybody has had the corrosion issue so maybe some will never have it...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts