Antara Owners Club banner

Royal Portbury

15K views 71 replies 8 participants last post by  Antarius 
#1 ·
I went into the info bit for expected arrivals but the Tulane has not shown up yet on the list, so I went into port information, it said arrival either 17:00/18:00 hrs 27th April then it said etd I expect that is expected time departure 28th April 18:00 hrs Antwerp.
I cannot figure out why it is not showing the expected arrivals in the port section for Portbury?

#2 ·
wilma08 said:
I went into the info bit for expected arrivals but the Tulane has not shown up yet on the list, so I went into port information, it said arrival either 17:00/18:00 hrs 27th April then it said etd I expect that is expected time departure 28th April 18:00 hrs Antwerp.
I cannot figure out why it is not showing the expected arrivals in the port section for Portbury?

Hi Wilma, the Bristol ports website shows that the Tulane is expected at 1700hrs tomorrow

#3 ·
I seen that but when you go into the ports section on the maritime traffic thingy and you put in Portbury and go to expected arrivals it does not show the Tulane, just a bit paranoid I think I amEdited by: wilma08

#4 ·
wilma08 said:
I seen that but when you go into the ports section on the maritime traffic thingy and you put in Portbury and go to expected arrivals it does not show the Tulane, just a bit paranoid I think I am

Ah right, now I've got you

Don't search the Maritime "ports" field as it is worse than useless. Thinking back to when we first determined which ship was carrying your car, it was established by working backwards from the date of arrival in Bristol.

When we then searched for the Tulane on the Maritime website, we found her in the South China Sea, having just left Incheon but when we searched the "ports" part of the site, there was no record of her ever arriving let alone departing but the Tulane's own page clearly showed that the last port was Incheon. There was/is even a photograph of the ship moored at Incheon on 16/03/13.

If the port arrivals/departures search facility on the Maritime website was up to date and accurate, it would make establishing which ship is carrying our Antara much more certain.

As I type, the Tulane is in the Bristol channel heading for your port and will be arriving later on this afternoon

#6 ·
wilma08 said:
Antarius and everybody else not long know ETA 18:00hrs yippee next week or the week after I will have my car nearly there

Well, the Tulane should have docked by now and in the next few hours your Antara should be on "terra firma".

You never know, maybe British efficiency will come to the fore and you will get your car quicker than expected. No more early rises for you

#8 ·
have just returned from watching the tulane go passed. unfortunatly camera not working but got some from a distance on my phone .soon as i work out how to put them on here i will.first came into site off cold knap, nr barry island at 3.15 was really close to the english side so with the sun in our eyes was hard to take pics. then it made a 45 turn and moved out into the middle of the estury then straight on towards cardiff and then onto bristol/portbury. made me have shivers up my spine to see it in the flesh

#13 ·
smino said:
have just returned from watching the tulane go passed. unfortunatly camera not working but got some from a distance on my phone .soon as i work out how to put them on here i will.first came into site off cold knap, nr barry island at 3.15 was really close to the english side so with the sun in our eyes was hard to take pics. then it made a 45 turn and moved out into the middle of the estury then straight on towards cardiff and then onto bristol/portbury. made me have shivers up my spine to see it in the flesh

Don't know if you noticed but there are two additional photographs of the Tulane which have been added to the ship's portfolio on the "Marine Traffic" website.

Both were taken and uploaded yesterday, one was taken at Portishead Point and the other was taken at Redcliff Bay.

#14 ·
Hey david it arrived at 19:19 on Saturday and leaves tonight at 19:00hrs forAntwerp, so cars would have been done between last night and today. I bet you are getting excited nearly there

#16 ·
I think they do that once they know it has arrived in dock and off the boat as it is treat just like anyotherdelivery as you are leasing it from the company through Motability, We bought ourChevrolet Captiva last year and had to wait six weeks for it to come from Korea not six months because we picked Black and it was on the production line whenrecorded, once it came we collected it from Pentigon Cars within a coule of days arrival from Korea, so do not see anydifferencedo you

#18 ·
Strangely there are two vehicle carriers due to dock at Bristol within three days of each other, both of which have docked at Incheon, South Korea and then departed with a cargo of cars.

The carriers in question are the "Grand Pioneer" which is due to dock in the UK on 29/05/13 and is currently approaching the "blackout" area to the north of Malaysia and the other ship is the "Ariana" which is due to dock on 01/06/13 but is currently sailing around the Busan area of South Korea.

Just thought that I would mention these two ships for anyone expecting to take delivery of their Antara around 10/06/13 and for any other member who wants to track some more cars on their journey to the UK

#19 ·
Antarius said:
Strangely there are two vehicle carriers due to dock at Bristol within three days of each other, both of which have docked at Incheon, South Korea and then departed with a cargo of cars.

The carriers in question are the "Grand Pioneer" which is due to dock in the UK on 29/05/13 and is currently approaching the "blackout" area to the north of Malaysia and the other ship is the "Ariana" which is due to dock on 01/06/13 but is currently sailing around the Busan area of South Korea.

Just thought that I would mention these two ships for anyone expecting to take delivery of their Antara around 10/06/13 and for any other member who wants to track some more cars on their journey to the UK 

Right John - you have the Grand Pioneer and I'll take the Ariana

#20 ·
I've been tracking the Tongala and Grand Pioneer for a couple of days now (I want it to be on the Tongala which is due on Sun 18th May as my delivery date is "late may" at the dealers) but I've simply been entering the ship name into google and tracking it there. Is there a better way to track the ship?

Another question - where on the map is the "Blackout" area?

Edited by: JFDM

#21 ·
JFDM said:
I've been tracking the Tongala and Grand Pioneer for a couple of days now (I want it to be on the Tongala which is due on Sun 18th May as my delivery date is "late may" at the dealers) but I've simply been entering the ship name into google and tracking it there. Is there a better way to track the ship?

Evening Joe, I have used Google to check the location of ships and found it to be very similar to some of the many ship "tracking" websites that are available. Where these sites are better in my opinion is that they can provide ancillary information and photographs that you don't get with Google.

The website that most of us use is - http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

The "Blackout" area usually kicks in once these ships enter the Indian Ocean from the Malacca Straits which runs between Malaysia and Western Sumatra (Indonesia).

The reason for this blackout is a simple one. Since these ships are heading for the Suez Canal, their route takes them near to the coast of Somalia, Eritrea and Djibouti, all areas where "pirate" ships patrol the seas in search of "cargo".

The car carriers generally send out a signal so that anyone can follow their voyage but since there is a risk of being intercepted, they stop sending out public signals until they are in and on some occasions, out of the Suez Canal and into the Mediterranean Sea.

This blackout can last anywhere between 9 and 14 days depending on the speed of the vessel.

#22 ·
Pudsey said:
Antarius said:

Right John - you have the Grand Pioneer and I'll take the Ariana

Pudsey, since I am such a nice guy
, you can have them both

#23 ·
Antarius said:
JFDM said:

Evening Joe, I have used Google to check the location of ships and found it to be very similar to some of the many ship "tracking" websites that are available. Where these sites are better in my opinion is that they can provide ancillary information and photographs that you don't get with Google.

The website that most of us use is - http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

The "Blackout" area usually kicks in once these ships enter the Indian Ocean from the Malacca Straits which runs between Malaysia and Western Sumatra (Indonesia).

The reason for this blackout is a simple one. Since these ships are heading for the Suez Canal, their route takes them near to the coast of Somalia, Eritrea and Djibouti, all areas where "pirate" ships patrol the seas in search of "cargo".

The car carriers generally send out a signal so that anyone can follow their voyage but since there is a risk of being intercepted, they stop sending out public signals until they are in and on some occasions, out of the Suez Canal and into the Mediterranean Sea.

This blackout can last anywhere between 9 and 14 days depending on the speed of the vessel.

Cheers John, that's the site I've been relying on mostly and the Tongala has stopped displying it's location since Friday Morning - fairly well advance on it's trip now.

It's bizarre how this tracking lark gets a grip of you - I promised myself that I wouldn't 'chase' my car around but simply can't resist it - at least 5/6 times a day now. Still I have about 4 weeks tracking that I can look forward to.

Someone needs to take the responsibility of setting up the "support group" for trackers with no ship to track after the deliveries are complete?

#24 ·
I totally agree Joe, it really is strange how something as simple as tracking a ship, can suddenly become one of the most important things in our lives for five or six weeks.

I have mentioned in posts to other members who have completed the tracking procedure that when the ship carrying their car finally docks in Bristol, there is a certain air of disappointment even though we are excited by the imminent arrival of our new Antara.

Three months down the line since my car arrived in the UK, I still miss the buzz of excitement that I got when I was tracking it all the way home.

A "support group" for all us old trackers is a very good idea
but the strange thing is that the "older" Antara owners who never had the chance to follow their car home, think that we are all off our trolley

#25 ·
Antarius said:
I totally agree Joe, it really is strange how something as simple as tracking a ship, can suddenly become one of the most important things in our lives for five or six weeks.

I have mentioned in posts to other members who have completed the tracking procedure that when the ship carrying their car finally docks in Bristol, there is a certain air of disappointments even though we are excited by the imminent arrival of our new Antara.

Three months down the line since my car arrived in the UK, I still miss the buzz of excitement that I got when I was tracking it all the way home.

A "support group" for all us old trackers is a very good idea 

but the strange thing is that the "older" Antara owners who never had the chance to follow their car home, think that we are all off our trolley 
Thinking your off your trolley.......... NOW there's an understatement.

#26 ·
That's the Tulane away towards Antwerp Begium for the 30th April 2013 for 08:00am I wonde were she will go next ahh wee shame, I think I will follow the Grand Pioner and the Tomar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.