Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If parked facing downhill and behind another vechicle, I find it extremely difficult to reverse without rolling forwards and almost hitting the car in front. This has happened several times to me so I now carry a brick to chock the back wheel. Anyone else out there?
Billy

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Hi Billy welcome to the forum.

Rolling forward shouldn't be a Problem if your Antara has hill start/ the electric hand break.

If you find the hill start not holding long enough just leave the electric hand break on and it will release itself when the car starts to move.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Billy,
I have a 2013 SE 4WD with electronic brake and have the same problem. I would like to hear if you have found an alternative solution? Otherwise I will adopt the brick technique too!
Steve

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had an electronic handbrake for some time,the approach and methodology of usage is very different ...you need to just forget about hill start technique ....Take a deep breath and just drive off,I reverse up my drive every day uphill about 30 yards and once you are used to it ,you wonder why all cars are not like this

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
SKP said:
Hi Billy,
I have a 2013 SE 4WD with electronic brake and have the same problem. I would like to hear if you have found an alternative solution? Otherwise I will adopt the brick technique too!
Steve
Welcome to the forum Steve.

As posted above if your having problems with your hillstart/handbreak maybe you should have a word with your dealer and get them to check it out because it shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
vexorg said:
I was trying this today. My wife had said she was panicking that it kept moving forward on a hill while reversing, getting closer and closer to the car in front.

It was fine with me, left the handbrake on, into reverse (and the revs increase slightly on their own??), slowly let out the clutch and the handbrake turns off just at the bite point when the car starts to move back.

Same car with different results, most likely it is down to reversing techniques.
Or the bit point is high and your wife is not geting to grips with that, interesting , how long have you had the car now

·
Registered
67 Posts
My wife had the same problem. But ours is a 2007 model with a manual handbrake. The Antara has drum brakes on the rear for the handbrake. When we bought ours second hand the hand brake was almost useless. I stripped the rear brakes down and cleaned everything. It turns out that the rear brake shoes have manual adjusters and these had never been touched since the car left the factory. Adjusted them and now handbrake is really good.Edited by: Timbo

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you have the electronic parking brake DON'T release it. Select reverse press the accelerator&the brake will release itself when the car starts to move.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
murphy1 said:
If you have the electronic parking brake DON'T release it. Select reverse press the accelerator & the brake will release itself when the car starts to move. 
Does this not burn out your hand break ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live on a hill and if I roll forward I'd end up in the North Sea! Our car is a 61 4x4 SE with electronic brake and I've found it works perfectly on a hill start.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Must admit I wasn't happy with the electronic handbrake to start with but I find it ok now.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Thanks now I know what to do, when I am in Glasgow at the GSA and their are massive hills to park up, no worry now
Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
Be careful on trusting the handbrake alone on a hill, a friend of mine put his on and it didn't hold, it rolled down a hill and straight into a main road then got side swiped, they wrote the car off....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts