Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be my next move ,has anyone done this .I'm finding it ridiculous/contradicting that i have to go on a 20min run every time the car regens it's ridiculous ,25!!! mile run yesterday .Whoever designed the DPF needs shot IMO .How many cars at anyone time in the whole of the country are out on their little regen runs ,bet it would surprise you .

Little Monday rant over now

·
Registered
448 Posts
Instant MOT failure now if the tester notices the DPF is removed, you can get the internals taken out and keep the can then get the ECU remapped to delete the DPF functions but I am confident that route would create warranty issues, any excuse...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sounds a bit extreme but I understand your sentiments, this is a design fault and Vauxhall need to address it. A brilliant car ruined by this stupid filter.

I have owned numerous Vauxhalls over the years and never had a problem like this before.

My brother in law has had a Ford Kuga for three years, when I asked him how he gets on with regens he looked at me as if I was stupid, he has NEVER had to do one in three years!!! He didn't even know what a DPF filter was.

I know some cars suffer from this but the Antara seems to be one of the worst.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Many new diesels have the same problems. Certainly Renault and Skoda do through personal experiences. The EU are to blame, it's all about lower emissions and burning more fuel to do that (Ironic isn't it). Turbo powered petrol engines are the way forward now.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Had my Antara 3 years doing mostly town commute and in those three year the dpf light has come on 3 times which meant I had to run the car until the light went out other that I drive it like any other car and dont pay any attention to the regens unless the light comes on.

According to the cars fuel computer in those 3 years and 32000 miles the car has averaged 29.7 mpg which is not bad given the type of trips it does.

People spend waaaay too long getting obsesed about the dpf and regens I couldnt even tell you how often they occur because I have never checked.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Grumps said:
Had my Antara 3 years doing mostly town commute and in those three year the dpf light has come on 3 times which meant I had to run the car until the light went out other that I drive it like any other car and dont pay any attention to the regens unless the light comes on.

According to the cars fuel computer in those 3 years and 32000 miles the car has averaged 29.7 mpg which is not bad given the type of trips it does.

People spend waaaay too long getting obsesed about the dpf and regens I couldnt even tell you how often they occur because I have never checked.
I agree with Grumps, over 2.5 years of ownership and the light has only come on once. Entirely of my own doing, ie too many short journeys. Went down to the Med last Autumn, 2000+ miles, must have regenerated 4 times at least, never noticed one of them.
Just keep driving it, it will sort its self out.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
AntaraMatt said:
Many new diesels have the same problems. Certainly Renault and Skoda do through personal experiences. The EU are to blame, it's all about lower emissions and burning more fuel to do that (Ironic isn't it). Turbo powered petrol engines are the way forward now.
I agree. When the makers take their readings for emission's the car is running normally and certainly not during a regen. How can this be right. I'm sure that if you average all the emission's out during a year, there's probably not much difference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Appreciate what everyone is saying but if you ignore a regen the your fuel consumption goes from bad to worse, how long does it take to "drive through it"??

My car does not have a warning light for the DPF so I can only go with the "hovercraft" fans, poor consumption and loss of 999.9.........

·
Registered
405 Posts
Don't think any Antara has a warning light to tell you that a regen is taking place, just when you have ignored/interrupted them. The fuel consumption drops dramatically when a regen happens but as far as I know if you interrupt one the mpg returns to normal until it decides to start again. As to how long to "drive through it" I find usually about 20 miles reinstates the magic 999. At the end of the day mine just appears to get on with it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
According to the garage my model does not have a DPF light of any description, seemingly it is the light normally used for the glow plug indicator, in any case I have never had any lights come on under any circumstances.

I really like my Antara but find this DPF problem a bit much to take, especially so often, thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
There are garages that will remove it and still pass an MOT.Small independant.back street type, obviously not legal and will void the warranty, but if your car is out of warranty period - hey!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Be warned though its not just the MOT failure risk you run a car with a removed DPF that was fitted at point of production is contravening the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulation 61, so actually illegal to use on public highways, this opens up a can of worms on insurance being invalid, hefty fines if caught etc...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, my Antara did its first regen that I noticed yesterday - fan coming on after engine switched off and mpg down dramatically. It's covered 987 miles so far. Typically it started it just as I was driving to my local car wash so had to sit idling while it was starting a regen - not good.

My wife was driving it along the motorway this morning so I'm sure it'll be sorted when she gets home later.

I have to say I'm utterly confused as to how burning more fuel to do a regen is better for the environment...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dave47 said:
Join the club ..... Oh sorry you already have.

Haha, indeed! I hope that in the next few years the DPF thing gets reconsidered as we cover enough miles that having a diesel makes sense and so when we change our car in 3-4 years I'd go diesel again, but would try to stay away from one with a DPF.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Don't think so, from what my HGV driving son tells me the next generation of diesels will require an additive like modern trucks. As to finding one without a dpf then I suspect it will have to be second hand and probably ten years old, my other son has just bought an 08 Focus diesel with no dpf.Just try to ignore it, unless the light comes on and enjoy driving the car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good point. I suppose if that's the way things are going I just need to deal with it. If my budget allows I'd like to move up to an Evoque, Q5, or similar for my next car - I suppose they'll also use DPF's?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't think you can buy any Diesel car without a DPF new now, if my memory serves me well we're heading for even tighter controls on emissions with Euro 6 engines as mentioned above this will involve more complex DPF systems... The death of the Diesel car has started... Soon we will all be whispering around in our hybrids complaining about poor battery life..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Haha, probably. If DPF systems improve in how efficient they are I suppose it's fine. Out of curiosity I googled to see what Evoque and Q5 owners are saying. The Evoque system in particular sounds awful - they seem to be complaining more than Antara owners...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.