Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one else had the screen wash pouring in the drivers side rear quaterlight?
Went out this afternoon, car was well & truly thawed, it was a cold night but car had been in the sun all morning?

Cleared off the front screen all OK, went to do the rear but nothing came out from looking in the mirror however suddenly my daughter yelped as she was getting wet!!

Not just a drip but the screenwash had been pumping out from the top of the drivers side rear quaterlight, soaking our coats etc in the boot

Has anyone else had this/is it a common fault? Am I going to end up in another email session to the CEO?

Don't currently see why I should pick up the tab for this if it is a common thing which would equate to a design fault / the washer installation being unfit for purpose? ?

Comment's anyone? Personally getting a bit fed up with VX & quality/build issues....

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hi smash1e sounds like the Rear hose has frozen and split this will need replacing or repairing in very cold weather screen wash needs to be quite strong to stop it freezing in the pipe
Hope this helps good luck getting it sorted

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, am fully aware of the need for wash not just water. The tank was full of pre - mixed 'ready to use' screen wash so my mix couldn't be wrong? Other people are saying there's an elbow joint in the pipe run & have had the same thing, every winter? Sounds like another poor design to me. The end user can't do anything more than use pre-mixed screen wash?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
smash1e said:
Thanks for that, am fully aware of the need for wash not just water. The tank was full of pre - mixed 'ready to use' screen wash so my mix couldn't be wrong? Other people are saying there's an elbow joint in the pipe run & have had the same thing, every winter? Sounds like another poor design to me. The end user can't do anything more than use pre-mixed screen wash?
Yes absolutely. have you done a search re rear wash hose split or rear wash pipe popped off I have not checked mine yet throughout this cold weather but I have read something on this forum about this

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
You say your washer reservoir was full of pre-mixed ready to use screenwash and ask whether that could be wrong. The answer is Yes, how do you know what strength that screen wash was?

I use Tesco screenwash. The concentrate provides protection down to minus 10 Centigrade while their pre-mix only goes down to minus 5. That's not enough for us here in Scotland so I usually fill with just the concentrate. Another thing is I always make sure and completely empty the bottle at the end of Autumn and use the washers front and rear to pump flush the lines and get the neat stuff through to the washer jets.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Good point Victor. I wonder if some motorists understand what they are buying. I went to buy some screen wash and found that it had already been diluted. It would have been easy to just take it home without looking and assume it was the old-fashioned concentrate that you dilute yourself. I ended up in a trade motor factors to buy the proper stuff. Moral: read the label before buying.

·
Registered
216 Posts
volrider said:
Just a quickie, if you use undiluted screenwash can that harm the paintwork?
Using concentrate only can clog the filter in the water bottle though. Happened on an old Omega I bought. Filter was all gunged up and washers would not work.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
[/QUOTE] Using concentrate only can clog the filter in the water bottle though. Happened on an old Omega I bought. Filter was all gunged up and washers would not work.[/QUOTE]

I've never found that to be the case if you use the same type of screenwash. If you mix different brands then it will agglomerate and produce a sticky gel but there's enough warnings published about this kind of thing.

·
Registered
2013 vauxhall antara 2.2 cdti 163
22 Posts
Has any one else had the screen wash pouring in the drivers side rear quaterlight?
Went out this afternoon, car was well & truly thawed, it was a cold night but car had been in the sun all morning?

Cleared off the front screen all OK, went to do the rear but nothing came out from looking in the mirror however suddenly my daughter yelped as she was getting wet!!

Not just a drip but the screenwash had been pumping out from the top of the drivers side rear quaterlight, soaking our coats etc in the boot

Has anyone else had this/is it a common fault? Am I going to end up in another email session to the CEO?

Don't currently see why I should pick up the tab for this if it is a common thing which would equate to a design fault / the washer installation being unfit for purpose? ?

Comment's anyone? Personally getting a bit fed up with VX & quality/build issues....
There is a connector behind the panel on the right under the window. It will have separated when you tried to use the washers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts