Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone replaced rear discs,pads, and or shoes on the electric parking brake models ? Any pitfalls piston winding tools required , reprogramming etc. Any info gratefully received.Keen to do it myself.

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Anyone replaced rear discs,pads, and or shoes on the electric parking brake models ? Any pitfalls piston winding tools required , reprogramming etc. Any info gratefully received.Keen to do it myself.
No problem changing the rear pads and you don't need a wind-back tool. Spanner sizes are given in my handbrake thread HERE just remember the T30 Torx bit for the disc grub screw.

Never had to replace the handbrake shoes but done plenty of similar ones, a bit fiddly maybe but you'll get there.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem changing the rear pads and you don't need a wind-back tool. Spanner sizes are given in my handbrake thread HERE just remember the T30 Torx bit for the disc grub screw.

Never had to replace the handbrake shoes but done plenty of similar ones, a bit fiddly maybe but you'll get there.
Thank you Victor I’ve just done the throttle body so I’m on a roll here.

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Thank you Victor I’ve just done the throttle body so I’m on a roll here.
BTW should have mentioned to back off the adjusters on each side before you try to remove the disc/drums. Turn the drum to the positions shown in my thread (from memory it's 11 o'clock passengers side and 1 o'clock drivers side) and turn the adjusters back with a screwdriver. This is because you get a rusty wear ridge on the edge of the drum which will catch on the brake shoes when you try to pull it off.

I would also advise you to buy a brake hardware kit to replace all the hold down pins, springs, shims etc.

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Victor do you reckon I will need this kit if I’m just replacing the discs and pads?
I thought you said you were going to replace the shoes?

Even if you're not, you'd be better with the shim clips that go between the ends of the pads and the carrier housing. They're supposed to be stainless steel but they get rusty and gungy after a few years and keep the lubricant on 'em better if they're replaced.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Happy new year victor and long may yer lum reek.Are the front and rear brake discs and pads of a captiva compatible with the antara assuming they are both of the same year ? Reason I’m asking is that the captiva stuff seems to be a bit cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts