Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bit of a weird experience yesterday-

Parked up at our local supermarket, gets out & this guy approaches me out of the blue (didn't know him) & he starts telling me about all this stuff. He was quite specific & "seemed" very plausible.


Anyhow, can't remember word for word but the gist of it was that GM were told, by some European legislation, that hey had to use European made engines for 80% of the vehicles that they were to market in Europe. They could use their own engines in the remaining 20%. The guy then asked me if my engine was quiet or quite noisey to which I replied "surprisingly quiet". Ah, he said, you've got a Peugeot engine then & think yourself lucky, it's far superior & much more advanced than the GM version!!


Now, I don't know whether there is any truth in this whatsoever BUT...... if there was, it could explain why a certain percent of owners have a very different experience of their Antara than others?


Any thoughts anyone??


And I must say, with over 4k on the clock now, ours is running like a dream!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
â™ ChumBucketâ™  said:
Any thoughts anyone??


And I must say, with over 4k on the clock now, ours is running like a dream!


 
I am very pleased that your Antara is going like a dream - they should all be like that.

Just a little thought about the engines; I don't think Vauxhall/Opel would use any engine other than one from their own group, i.e. GM.

Peaugot, I believe, is part of the Chrysler group.

Edited by: Spantara
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spantara said:
♠ChumBucket♠ said:
Any thoughts anyone??


And I must say, with over 4k on the clock now, ours is running like a dream!
I am very pleased that your Antara is going like a dream - they should all be like that.

Just a little thought about the engines; I don't think Vauxhall/Opel would use any engine other than one from their own group, i.e. GM.

Peaugot, I believe, is part of the Chrysler group.

I know Vauxhall use Fiat engines (1.3 multijet/CDTI to name but one & probably one of the best engines ever made!!).


It was strange how the this guy just approached me, no introduction, just straight into this whole thing about the engines. He was very polite & like I said, very plausible too.

Edited by: ♠ChumBucket♠
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
Don't you just hate a know it all that doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Antara engine info here

In other words he was talking out of his arse.

It is true since last year GM bought a 7% share in Peugeot Citreon with a view to platform and engine sharing but that does not apply to the current Antara.

So the next time you see him you can tell him to get his facts right
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grumps said:
Don't you just hate a know it all that doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Antara engine info here

In other words he was talking out of his arse.

It is true since last year GM bought a 7% share in Peugeot Citreon with a view to platform and engine sharing but that does not apply to the current Antara.

So the next time you see him you can tell him to get his facts right



Well that clears that one up Grumps!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
The 2l engine was based on an old Fiat engine, the new 2.2l engine is a GM. The 1.9l engine used in Vectras was the same 1.9l engine used in Fiats.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top