Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone having/had a problem with their alarm going off for no apparent reason? Picked up out 08 Nav SE yesterday & the alarm keeps going off. Been to the dealers this morning & they have run diagnostics on it but nothing came up. Having to take it back Monday for the full day so an electric service guy can have a look. Any suggestions out there in the mean time as every 30 minutes at night is very draining especially when im 6 months pregnant.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Their are 2 or 3 known things that cause alarm issues. One of them is the anti hijack sensor under the passenger seat.
An internal motion sensor. These can be switched of so you can easily rule that out. The other things are faulty door or bonnet switches.

Their are a few other things but hopefully the garage will sort it for you.

Hopefully once its fixed you will enjoy your Antara.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am still having alarm issues since earlier this year, the dealer said at the servcie that double pressing the lock button on the remote was probably the cause as it can "confuse" the cars ECU
He suggested leaving several seconds between presses and that should solve the problem.

He was right.

But, when I posted this on a.n.other forum, one member pointed out that leaving it too long between presses cancels out the deadlock and alarm activation, leaving the car only partially secured.

That was back in March, and I'm still having problems with it, but here's the thing... I only have problems when I park on my drive with the nose facing downwards

Whenever I park it on a level road, or with the nose facing uphill, it's fine. Its just when its parked nose down that the alarm will go off after double locking the car.

And once I've zapped it again afterwards, the alarm is fine.

Randomness, personified in the form of a Vauxhall Antara!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just press twice when I lock the car, probably had the alarm go off half a dozen times since I got the car but usually tis happens straight away, just unlock and lock again and all is well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im having the same problem with the alarm. Havn't tried some of the other suggestions yet but noticed mine was parked facing downhill when it went off - now parked on the level and alarm doesn't go off. Can't be right but at least Im not annoying the neighbours now !

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Brian said:
Im having the same problem with the alarm. Havn't tried some of the other suggestions yet but noticed mine was parked facing downhill when it went off - now parked on the level and alarm doesn't go off. Can't be right but at least Im not annoying the neighbours now !
Sounds like the mercury switch located under the passengers seat. Its an anti tow sensor. Worth checking out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have had 2 sets of internal sensors fitted but has not cured the problem. Every time I get out of the car I have to turn the interior sensors off. Car going back again next week 30 mile round trip each time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got this from the manual: ( p24 )

The system is activated:
■ Automatically, 30 seconds after
locking the vehicle (initialisation of
the system)
■ Directly by pressing = on the radio
remote control once more after
locking

I have noticed that if I hit the lock button on the remote 2x too quickly the alarm may sound.

It seems that by locking the door with one press - the alarm system is automatically engaged after 30 seconds anyway.

Just a thought.

[ I also seem to remember that I could activate the alarm on one of my previous vehicles by double clicking the lock button quickly ...... this was an intended feature - not sure why ?? ]

Edited by: KenB

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought my SENAV back in July 13, the alarm was sounding constantly throughout the night, found it was the rear quarter light window that had a faulty internal alarm ribbon, took 6 weeks to get the new window, but it fixed the fault.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have experienced this 1/4 light fault the garage took one out of a display vehicle as it would take 8 weeks for a replacement then they would put the new one in the display vehicle when it finally came, they think this is ok....

·
Registered
40 Posts
my alarm goes off regularly and i found that if you dont shut the doors or boot hard (or positive) enough then off it goes , so i just open and shut the offending door again but harder if u see what i mean.

·
Registered
405 Posts
KenB said:

The system is activated:
the system)
locking

I have noticed that if I hit the lock button on the remote 2x too quickly the alarm may sound.

It seems that by locking the door with one press - the alarm system is automatically engaged after 30 seconds anyway.

Just a thought.

[ I also seem to remember that I could activate the alarm on one of my previous vehicles by double clicking the lock button quickly ...... this was an intended feature - not sure why ?? ]
Hi Ken,
I hope that you and the Antara had a good holiday in France, any exciting pics?

Your quote from the manual has got me concerned, as I was under the impression that one press just locked all the doors and the second press armed the system. If as the book says the system arms automatically after 30 secs then how do you just lock it. I have now travelled 4 times on long ferry crossings and each time I was under the impression that the alarm was not set.

I also have had the odd alarm trigger and the cause was uasually an insect that had got in and started moving about.

If I remember correctly I had a Volvo 740 many years ago that had an extra button on the fob, pressing it activated the alarm siren as a form of panic alarm, perhaps the Antara has a similar but un documented feature.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Dave47 said:
KenB said:

The system is activated:
â–  Automatically, 30 seconds after
the system)
â–  Directly by pressing = on the radio
locking

Just a thought.

Hi Ken,

Your quote from the manual has got me concerned, as I was under the impression that one press just locked all the doiors and the second press armed the system. If as the book says the system arms automatically after 30 secs then how do you just lock it. I have now travelled 4 times on long ferry crossings and each time I was under the impression that the alarm was not set.

I also have had the odd alarm trigger and the cause was uasually an insect that had got in and started moving about.

If I remember correctly I had a Volvo 740 many years ago that had an extra button on the fob, pressing it activated the alarm siren as a form of panic alarm, perhaps the Antara has a similar but un documented feature.
Or your all missing the obvious, probably another vauxhall bug that's not been sorted yet lol

·
Registered
782 Posts
Dave47 said:
KenB said:

The system is activated:
the system)
locking

Just a thought.

Hi Ken,

Your quote from the manual has got me concerned, as I was under the impression that one press just locked all the doors and the second press armed the system. If as the book says the system arms automatically after 30 secs then how do you just lock it. I have now travelled 4 times on long ferry crossings and each time I was under the impression that the alarm was not set.

There's a button on the same panel which has the interior light switches and sunglasses holder. Pressing that button will disable the monitoring of the interior of the car and also the inclination sensor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,
Just been away for a long wk end with the caravan and as most no you park next to your caravan any way, 4 o'clock sat morn all lights and bells ringing ,then 6 o'clock ,then all right all day then again 4 o'clock off it goes again,so thinks it goin the garage Monday ,but on the way home drivin along Whe a moth decided to fly up from the seats on to the dash ,window open and out it went,then when home opened the boot and his mate took to the air .touch wood it's not gone off this wk ,alarm might be fixed .??

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Yip I do it when fat dog is in the car ( and I don't mean hubby lol)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts