Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last week or so our 2014 (64) plate Antara has started to what I can only describe as 'over-fuel'.
The car seems to be 'regenerating' during every drive, with the instant consumption sitting around 0.7 at idle and running 16-18 miles per gallon.

I have let the car complete every 'regen' and watched the instant gal/mls fall back to 0.1, allowing it to run for a little bit longer and then switching off. However, during its next journey the car will do the same again, feeling sluggish as it goes about throwing in extra fuel for another regen.

We get glimpses of normality during a journey as the car mpg leaps back to 34mpg and shows 999.9mpg on a clutched gear change or over-run - but then it just reverts back to its defective state within minutes and it all starts again.

I sent an email to VX customer services last night expressing my concern and wishes to get this rectified asap, especially given that over-fuelling in this manner destroys oil quality and significantly reduces the life of the DPF.

Considering the car is only2 months old and has covered 3K miles this really should not be happening!

I have hinted to them atpossibledefective Lamda sensors and requested a full diagnostic.

Thoughts?

-LaZ-

·
Registered
147 Posts
You seem to be getting hung up on the regen aspect of this, this could just be a symptom of another, old fashioned, fault. Perhaps a faulty injector. In the old days before DPFs this would have given lots of black smoke and you would have gone back to the dealer and complained "Its making too much smoke". Now the DPF is catching the smoke and the symptom is the frequent regens. The fact that the regens do complete and that you do not mention the regen light suggests that the sensors may be OK.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like a sensor in the DPF my concern is that it might not be throwing a fault code ,so be firm if they say there is no fault,they will probably do a forced regen, don't get fobbed off , and try and log everything as you go , best of luck and please let us all know how you get onbobbyt

·
Registered
782 Posts
You definitely have a fault, probably one of the sensors associated with the DPF system.
Your car is only 3 months old so get it back to the dealer and demand they fix it or tell them you will reject the car as not fit for purpose.

In the mean time, it's a good idea to keep a complete record of everything that is happening.

If the dealer tries to say "That's how the car is supposed to work", I wouldn't blame you if you gave him a good slap upsides the head. This is not how this, or any other car for that matter is supposed to work.

Edited by: Inchindown

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a big glug of Wynn's DPF cleaner the car clawed its way back up to around 32MPG on the same tank of fuel; Good job too because PV never responded to my message through their website.

I may have been a little 'obsessive' about the regenerations - I think it comes with the territory of being an Antara owner

I'm now just gonna let the car get on with being a car and I'll stop worrying so much about the instant MPG not reading 999 on an over-run ...

-LaZ-

Edited by: Lazarus

·
Registered
92 Posts
My thoughts bad call ! Your car obviously has a fault , you should not be putting DPF cleaner anywhere near a 3 month old car . You really need to be more persistent with the garage you bought the car from . Also contact vauxhall customer support via the telephone rather than email . It's easy to ignore email not as easy to ignore a phone call ! I would not be happy until the car regularly displays 999 on the overrun . I suspect you will be seeing the DPF warning light illuminate soon if you choose to ignore it ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.