Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the oil light with squiggly lines underneath mean, the light came on and stayed on, turned the engine off but it was still on, so I turned off and waited again light stayed off ( was collecting daughter from school at 17:30 study support ) can't get hubby to ask him his ward must be buzzing, anybody know

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Thats your oil level so probably better to get it checked before using it anymore. It may have plenty oil and just a faulty reading. Better to check and be on the safe side

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grumps said:
Thats your oil level so probably better to get it checked before using it anymore. It may have plenty oil and just a faulty reading. Better to check and be on the safe side
I need to use it tomorrow to get Alysha to school I don't no if their is any oil in the garage, should it be coming on just now the car is not due first service until may hubby is in at 9pm then out at 06:40am

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys it good to be on this forum when not sure

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Check, using the dipstick. Pull the dip stick out (my dipstick has a yellow plastic ring in the top). clean with a rag or paper towel and dip into the engine and pull out again. This should give you the correct level, assuming that the car is level and been at rest for 5 mins or so.

If it is too low,it can seriously damage your engine.Edited by: chrisg

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys I know how to do it but due to pain it's quite hard to get the bonnet up,
But I done it as I was worried about my wee car and gues what it needs oil it's at the first notch unbelievable for a car that is less than a year old, don't know what to do might phone recovery out tomorrow early cause I have to get Alysha to school if thier is no oil in the garage plus what oil do I get

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not sure but would look in the book Wilma. It might be the oil quilty light. Page 85 86ish if I remember rightly. Had it on mine with only 12,000 on the clock.
Is the light red or orange?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2Dogs said:
Not sure but would look in the book Wilma. It might be the oil quilty light. Page 85 86ish if I remember rightly. Had it on mine with only 12,000 on the clock. 
Is the light red or orange?
Mine has only done 10600 miles orange / amber phoned RAC flippen lot help they were you can drive it to dealers if not more than 50 miles away not doing more than 50 mph since the light is orange/ amber hubby says terrible what happens if it goes red, plus he moaned car is not even a year and the oil is low he asked me are you losing oil somewhere, how the hell do I know

·
Registered
86 Posts
wilma08 said:
Mine has only done 10600 miles orange / amber phoned RAC flippen lot help they were you can drive it to dealers if not more than 50 miles away not doing more than 50 mph since the light is orange/ amber hubby says terrible what happens if it goes red, plus he moaned car is not even a year and the oil is low he asked me are you losing oil somewhere, how the hell do I know
Think your find that is the oil condition light. The oil gets fuel dumped into it after a regen and over time the condition go's down. It will need a oil and filter change and to be reset at the dealers I'm afriad.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2Dogs said:
wilma08 said:

Think your find that is the oil condition light. The oil gets fuel dumped into it after a regen and over time the condition go's down. It will need a oil and filter change and to be reset at the dealers I'm afriad.

So soon a well , I will take it tomorrow once I drop my adorable teenage daughter off( on her head ) at school but she needs to be picked up for 12:30 it's a half day on a Friday
Thanks two dogs

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would go along with that,top it up with new oil to bring some quality back, it isnt going to switch the light off (unless you are able to switch it off with the accelerator trick?), and it'll get you by until you can get it to the garage.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just looked at the manual, it is low oil warning, so just needs a top up, not an oil change! A trip to Halfords for you in the morning then?! Manual say 5W-40 oil.

·
Registered
86 Posts
On mine because I thought it had somehow drunk oil when I checked the level it was at max

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys went to the garage this morning who were not impressed by the RAC informed me to make a complaint about the lack of service that they are contracted to do and said i could have damaged my car, so i was livid about that, car needed a litre oil, i was informed that every thousand miles the car uses so much oil ( never had that problem with any of my other cars) so the car has done 10332 miles less than a year old and needing an oil top up, never in my life of 32 years of driving have i came across that.So have been on to the RAC and lodge a complaint someone will contact me in a couple days
I also spoke about the forum and how many people are moving away from the Antara due to the DPF the reaction was that the DPF does not become a problem unless you are using it for shorter journeys and not giving it a good drive, me being me and being nosy asked about the Mokka and its DPF it it were better, well i was told that it is the same system as the Antara and it would be pointless to change cars if you are having a problem with the DPF regening before it 500 miles or so and that if you are still using the car for short journeys you would be better with the petrol, so there you go

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hi Wilma, Glad its sorted. I check my oil level overy 1000mls or so. Done 3500 so far and no change. Going back many years,cars used to burn oil,as per dealers comments.I had an Astra TDI that used to burn a ltr/1000mls (1st time I checked the level,there was nothing there
). Now cars have the DPF,the oil level is topped up with diesel at each regen,so the level does not do down, but the oil quality does.

·
Registered
233 Posts
chrisg said:
Hi Wilma, Glad its sorted. I check my oil level overy 1000mls or so. Done 3500 so far and no change. Going back many years,cars used to burn oil,as per dealers comments.I had an Astra TDI that used to burn a ltr/1000mls (1st time I checked the level,there was nothing there
). Now cars have the DPF,the oil level is topped up with diesel at each regen,so the level does not do down, but the oil quality does.
<div abp="852">
<div abp="853">The oil level is not topped up each regen.......Any unburned fuel, most likely from a failed or interupted regen will find its way back into the oil sump. Its a common factor with common diesels not just the Antara. To maintain the quality oft he oli ,all you have to do is limit the amount of failed regens.
<div abp="853">
<div abp="853">Wilma, your oil level being low is again common to modern diesels, I check mine every week, Antara seems to hold it better than my last 2 diesels. If your journeys mainly consist of short journeys or many stop/start journeys you should consider going petrol on you next car replacement
<div abp="853">

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would but you don't always get the bigger engine size that i like the last petrol 4x4 was a 2.6 but it only done 22 miles to 24 miles to gallon on the motorway
which was a s they say pants
we do longer journeys at the weekend as well as in the summer (what is that i hear you say summer
)

·
Registered
103 Posts
putting a litre of oil in over 10k miles isnt bad, some cars use WAY more than that. My boss' Audi A6 drinks the stuff, and it is considered a 'characteristic', so I dont think you can blame the Antara for that.

I too would have chosen a petrol, but the lack of options on the petrol version is dreadful, I wanted an auto with lots of toys, so it had to be a diesel.

I am fairly sure that the Mokka DPF is pretty much the same as the Antara's, but again, with a sensible routine, should be OK.

You haven't got DPF issues though have you Wilma? I thought you were quite happy with the system and used the car on any length journey you wished without issues???

1 - 20 of 38 Posts