Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, Im shopping for an Antara at the moment so interesting to hear your views, both good and bad.

Looking at a 2012 2.2 CDTI Exclusiv from a dealer with 30k on the clock at the moment (2wd version, so perhaps a little lighter on the MPG).<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Funny thing is Im going the other way, from an Insignia to an Antara lol! I had a Merc ML 4 x 4 previously and after a couple of years in a car am now looking at returning to the land of a 'larger vehicle'. I need a lot of boot space at weekends and the Insignia is struggling with it...

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had my 64 plate Antara SE Nav 4WD for a couple of weeks now - have upgraded from a 10 plate Astra SRi. The Antara is good - comfortable ride, I mean it's not the same as a saloon / hatchback, but it's good. I'm getting 31mpg so far with a reasonable mix of motorway and local miles.

For the money I think the spec is excellent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have an Insignia as a company car and also have an Antara as a private car. We tow with both but mainly the Antara for obvious reasons - its what it does best!The Antara boot is not the biggest and the Insignia has the bigger more usable space than the Antara IMO

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Welcome to the forum. For the money the Antara is good value. If you look at vehicles of similar weight/power,the Antara is the cheapest. You can pick a pre-reg with deliverymilesfor £14990 if you shop around.An 11 plate Freelander2, your looking at £18K - £20K

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, I also changed from the Insignia Tourer to the Antara mainly for towing and am not sorry I did, its a great towcar but thirstier than the Insignia which is only to be expected.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome folks, I'm heading for a test drive on Sat.... anything particular I should look for?

I've asked about a cruise control upgrade, quoted £150ish even though the stalk is £60 lol (stealers hard at work eh...).Car has the base CD30. ... i asked about a DAB upgrade but not sure that's do able? Edited by: edgejedi

·
Registered
121 Posts
From everything I've read I'm not sure the DAB upgrade is that pretty and uses an off the shelf model rather than being all neat and integrated, but I might be wrong. I should say that the FM receiver on the Antara is actually pretty good, and whereas on my Astra I'd get real problems with RDS switching between stations automatically (I'm on the border between two sister stations) I have no such issues with my Antara, which is great.

My Antara already has cruise control, but I've read on here about installing it (I'm a geek!) and it looked pretty straightforward, so probably something you could do yourself.

The one thing to check on the test drive is mpg - I insisted on a decent run that would be representative of the type of mileage that I'd cover so I could see what the mpg would likely be for us. So make sure it's reset prior to your run.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi and welcome,Not sure about the cruise control as mine came fitted but most people imply that it is a simple DIY fix. A DAB upgrade was available as a Vx accessory over two years ago when I bought mine, about £200 if I remember correctly.
Enjoy the test drive
Dave

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is the Antara a 4x4 or 2wd?
Just make sure you look around the car before driving and use the gears to make sure there isnt anything wrong with the car!
If its a good example then you probably will enjoy the drive.

I really like mine and wouldnt swap it!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a 2wd version....

I vowed I would have DAB in my next car after I was stung in the insignia with limited options, but yes it looks like 200 more on top. Dealer offered me a nav ANTARA but for 2k more.... I'll use my Tom Tom thanks haha.

I fitted a parrot kit in the insignia... I suspect I may be doing the same again....

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not long to go now till the test drive, the more Im looking at Antara the more it looks like its the one for me.

Wish me luck dealing with the stealers (and hope my insignia gets a fair price....)

·
Registered
211 Posts
You will find your insignia will be desirable for the stealers as they can sell them easily! Just haggle as much as possible for the car.
When i bought mine i got 3.5k off the list price and got mats and mud gaurds and also the protection kit included. The dealer turn around to me and basically admitted they were not going to make any money on the car! (i dont think that was true) You have also hit the right time to buy as the dealers are in between regs and need to keep their number up. Push them for as much as possible, they can only say no. My trick is to walk away and let them think about it! It works trust me.
Also when you buy your car ask for a full tank of full £70 worth and also a full years tax £205! as they can be deal breakers for me!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK I guess Im now a convert....bought the Antara on Saturday and picking up this Thursday.

Negotiations were good and they are adding a cruise control stalk, DAB and mats so I was quite pleased. Hopefully they have the upgrades fitted by Thursday for me.

Loved the test drive and to be honest I couldnt keep up the pretence of going to see a Ford Kuga for long once I started driving it.

They seem to like Antaras there....had an SE version next to mine in an off colour white aswell as a black and silver one, but I didnt like the other colours tbh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.