Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - I've just purchased a 2011 Antara SE(163ps) AWD 2.2CDTi, specifically for towing a caravan. I have been reading other people's experiences of Antara's and am begining to worry (unnecessarily?), people's opinions seem to swing between the 2 extremes of 'the worst car I've ever owned' to 'the best...'. I loved the car on it's test drive and have owned Vauxhalls previously (I had a Cavalier that clocked up 250,000 miles with no significant problems at all) but am becoming a little depressed about all the negativity - my model is a Jan 2011 with 30,000 on the clock.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Every maker of affordable cars produces the odd lemon, and I do mean "every", the unfortunate buyers of these lemons quite rightly make a lot of noise about it. The Antara has no more than its fair share of lemons and some very vocal unfortunate buyers.

When it comes to performance and fuel consumption, people tend to compare performance with cars that cost twice as much and mpg with cars that cannot tow 2 tonnes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stevan, appreciate your feedback - personally I love the car, I used to have an old ('04) Nissan Terrano which was like driving a tractor at times, the Antara is luxury in comparrison!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi Ric, and welcome to the <strike>moaners</strike>owners club.
As Stevan rightly says 'Every maker of affordable cars produces the odd lemon' and these get talked about the most. There is however a mostly silent majority who just enjoy the Antara, it is comfortable, well equipped,is very good value for money considering its size and is an excellent tow car, which is what you have bought it for. We all have minor issues, what that you buy theses days doesn't but these are usually sorted fairly quickly and at the end of the day the 'Antara does what it says on the tin', and does it very well.
Enjoy your towing.
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome Dave
I'm looking forward to taking the van out in the new year towing with the Antara for the first time - to be honest, I totally agree about the value formoney aspect and appreciate that I've actually got a lot of car for my money. I'm liking this forum too - bored at work and looking through there's loads of useful info etc on here !
Thanks
Ric

·
Registered
405 Posts
That's the advantage of being retired, you don't get bored at work, just at home waiting for the weather to clear up. But seriously check out the towing section especially tow bar wiring regarding the fridge connection and also spare wheels if you want/need one.Good luck and many happy miles towing.

Dave

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Stevan said:
Every maker of affordable cars produces the odd lemon, and I do mean "every", the unfortunate buyers of these lemons quite rightly make a lot of noise about it. The Antara has no more than its fair share of lemons and some very vocal unfortunate buyers.

When it comes to performance and fuel consumption, people tend to compare performance with cars that cost twice as much and mpg with cars that cannot tow 2 tonnes.
Hi and welcome. This is what I was going to say. How many happy car owners go on the internet to say how happy they are? probably not a lot,where as most disgruntled owners nearly all go on and complain.
I currently tow a swift challenger sport 544 (1435 MTPL) with no issues, even in windy motorway conditions. Trust me, you will be very happy with the towing performance.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi and welcome Ric,I use mine for towing and its the best tow car I have had to date,comfortable with plenty of kit and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have the same fears reading all the bad points on the forum but in the near 2 years I have owned my Antara and been on the forum I can only remember reading one persons comments on the car actually breaking down at the road side, yes we all hate DPF's and have a few niggles on fit of trim etc, I paid less than you can pay for some Vauxhall Corsa's for mine, a good sized 4x4 with a decent spec, at that price I can live with a frew trim squeaks and a short drive now and again to let the DPF do its thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have one of the older 2.0 CDTI with 91k on the clock and it still tows my Swift Challenger 524 (1435kg) no trouble at all - and is a pleasure to drive.
I'm sure you won't regret the purchase - hope you have a great 2015 driving the car and towing the van.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Hi Ric Welcome to the forum. As the the guys have already said it is a great car but not without a few niggles.

I have had my Antara for nearly 3 years and so far it has been great and no real issues to talk about.

BTW I dont tow a caravan lol.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Ric welcome to the club. Like Grumps I don't tow a caravan either, I got the Antara because where I live is all hills. Plus my scooter fits nicely in the boot and you don't even notice it is there.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I we used to have a Nissan Terrano bloody hated the gears,the strangest thing was you had to put it in reverse to get it out of four wheel drive rubbish, Then we got a Nissan Pathfinder the gears were rubbish on that two notchy, we loved our Ford Explorer, had the for 13 years, anyway got rid of the pathfinder, got pergeuot 807 bloody trash, that's all I can say about that, apart from I will never purchase Nissan or Pergeuot again, then purchased a Cherverot Captiva, auto in 2012 loved it but husband wanted black I wanted white so in 2013 I got my WHITE Antara SENAV 184 Auto and love it, I have had a couple we niggles but who doesn't, it's a really good car, so enjoy it and stop worrying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.