Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Haven't got an antara yet but hoping to test drive a couple next weekend - have had my 2yr old astra written off after an accident and still deciding what to get. Towing is a possibility as we may soon be buying a caravan for family holidays

First question - the antara has never been euro ncap tested. This freaks me out a bit, having just been in a crash especially, I need to know it's safe! Anyone know of any crash test data at all?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that - I didn't know if the chevy was a good comparison as it's got 7 seats but if the chassis is the same....

Which antara have you got?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 2014 (64 plate) SE Nav. I've had it around 4 weeks or so now and love it! We had an Astra before too! lol

We debated the Mokka but decided it just wasn't big enough inside and for not much more money the Antara is far better equipped and the SE Nav is 4x4 as standard - hard to argue with that!Edited by: stephenpm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds great, hopefully I'll like the antara enough to buy it and stop getting spooked by all the bad press!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've got the 64 plate se nav too. Use to have a 1.5 deisel qasqui for towing my caravan which had only a 1150k tow limit. Changed to an Antara to give a wider option of which caravan to buy as I'll be upgrading before new season starts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The absence of an ncap crash test rating simply means that a particular car has not been tested. What would be worrying would be a poor rating!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into reviews. The Nissan Qashqai comes out very well in reviews and I don't fully understand why - it's bland inside and I can't imagine the small petrol turbo engines have much poke. Besides the 4WD versions are rare and also very pricey.

I was worried too, but I can't fault the Antara - it's great inside, loads of space, great spec and superb value for money. My only complaint is keeping it clean in this weather is impossible! lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
Haha! It is nice, but definitely care about economy! As the car covers more miles and we get used to it it's becoming more economical. The first couple of thousand miles we only got maybe 32mpg average, but we're now easily getting over 35mpg with a fairly even urban / motorway split. Considering my 1.6 astra was doing 38mpg I'm pretty pleased! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm interesting..... I didn't really pay attention to what my 1.7 astra cdti did. I wouldn't be surprised if the mpg wasn't great on it though. Do you plan to tow with yours?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nope - I'm not a caravanner, if that's the proper term? Acquired from Top Gear so probably not and I've just managed to insult the majority of members! lol

Living in Scotland having a 4WD has a lot of merit - in 2011 there was 3ft of snow in my street!

·
Registered
214 Posts
My wife had a Mini Cooper petrol and only got 32 mpg going to work and back . 2 miles each way. Then a Mini Countryman disel that would do 38 on the same journey but the antara will do 30 mpg and if driving to my daughters and back 12 miles it will do 40 mpg.
I think that is very good for the size and power of the car.
Hope you find one you like we have the 184 bhp senav manual

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Shevs,I have the Diamond 4x4. I got it because a couple of years ago we had about 6" snow, living on a hill and off the main roads we don't get thegritterscome around, after a couple of days it all froze and it was impossible to get out of our street. Decided to get a 4x4 and the Antara suited me best for what I needed. Fuel economy isn't great but I am getting about 25 mpg around the doors when we go on holiday I get almost 40 mpg on the motorway, while we are running around I get 34-36 mpg because it is normally flatter than where we live.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Welcome on board Shevs, good to see another North Eastern Antara owner.

Seems like a fair few of us are sticking with the VX family, I just left an Insignia (needed more space for the little un....and of course I loved the car!)

Edited by: edgejedi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone know if the 2wd is much more economical than the 4wd version?

Need to test drive and make a decision this weekend!

·
Registered
121 Posts
From what I can see its a difference of 5ish mpg, but obviously depends on the type of mileage you're doing. Depends whether the trade off against having 4WD is worth it! Living in Scotland it definitely is for me!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the 2wd version and am averaging 42mpg over 6,000 or so miles. I think the 4wd is low to mid 30's. All depends on what you want the car for really!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Im mostly round town with the occasional motorway driving, so opted for the 2wd with the better mpg. Ive had a 4 x 4 before and found no real value tbh. In the North East we had snow for like 1/2 days this year? Not really worth it for me for the rest of the year.

Bear in mind that the 2wd also has the 'decent hill control button' too, so if things are a bit more difficult than normal driving on slopes (or I found in snow), that kicks in too (only under 30mph I think). The best description of that I could find was here (although the Antara brochure may say more)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Descent_Control_system

1 - 20 of 24 Posts