Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my new side steps from E-bay and one of my mates fitted them today for me with no problems at all. The website said about the rear passenger side bracket needing filed to make it fit around the new electronic handbrake but we didn't come across any issues at all, bolted straight to the car and are solid. Really happy with the result.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grumps said:
Good work Brian. Looking good.

I think I might put my side steps back on.

It was only cause of you Grumps I bought them to protect the car from parking dents and also my new race chip is arriving tomorrow so i'll get that installed and thats it for the meantime, need to get some money in the bank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
They look very smart - out of interest did you have to let your insurance know and was there an up charge on the policy.

I'm with axa and when I was looking at some they told me that they were not acceptable modification and would cancel the policy if I fitted them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
JR123 said:
They look very smart - out of interest did you have to let your insurance know and was there an up charge on the policy.

I'm with axa and when I was looking at some they told me that they were not acceptable modification and would cancel the policy if I fitted them.

I told mine (although not performance enhancing, it is a modification) & it was noted on the policy but there was not any hike in premium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JR123 said:
They look very smart - out of interest did you have to let your insurance know and was there an up charge on the policy.

I'm with axa and when I was looking at some they told me that they were not acceptable modification and would cancel the policy if I fitted them.

I contacted the CIS and they noted it on the system and told me that if they're damaged they won't pay for them to be replaced or repaired and also likewise in the event of an accident. To be honest if they were damaged I would claim on them anyway my excess is more than the actual cost of them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
brian84 said:
Ordered my new side steps from E-bay and one of my mates fitted them today for me with no problems at all.  The website said about the rear passenger side bracket needing filed to make it fit around the new electronic handbrake but we didn't come across any issues at all, bolted straight to the car and are solid.  Really happy with the result.





Only problem there is,if you don't cut away the part,they stick out further at the back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see exactly what you mean Fergie but on the car they're sitting level front and back but in those pictures the back appears to be sitting out further
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
brian84 said:
I see exactly what you mean Fergie but on the car they're sitting level front and back but in those pictures the back appears to be sitting out further 
I think you will find that's perspective of the picture as long as they look good on the car that's the main thing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Just a thought and not questioning your workmanship, do you have them on the wrong sides - the pictures on ebay show the longest piece of chrome at the front and short bit at the back.....

Edited by: JR123
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
never notied that yeah they are on wrong way mine have the long bit at front short bit at back but still sit out slightly at back lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
JR123 said:
Just a thought and not questioning your workmanship, do you have them on the wrong sides - the pictures on ebay show the longest piece of chrome at the front and short bit at the back.....

Mine also have the longest piece at the front.


The dealer fitted mine & they also had to cut a small piece out on one bracket to fit around something to do with the electronic handbrake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JR123 said:
Just a thought and not questioning your workmanship, do you have them on the wrong sides - the pictures on ebay show the longest piece of chrome at the front and short bit at the back.....

see you, I noticed that and was hoping to change them around at the weekend without anyone noticing
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
JR123 said:
No probs - after few issues with the Antara I decided to keep it and got myself some exactly the same.

I fitted them last night, they were a pain in the ass to do and if you swap sides you may need switch some or all the brackets. I had to drill both rear brackets out to get them fitted correctly. If I am being 100% honest I feel they are worth what I paid £160 but would have been disappointed paying anymore. It said an hour fitting, more like 3 1/2 to get them on and set up right - maybe quicker if you are doing them in a garage.

It certainly finishes the car off and no problems at all with interference from the mud flaps. I have my private plate on it now and only need the front end repaired at it will be looking top drawer. (See how long it says this way!)
The way your luck is going you should get a set of bull bars front and back


Sorry I couldn't help it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
JR123 said:
The way your luck is going you should get a set of bull bars front and back


Sorry I couldn't help it
LOL - believe me I've looked into it!! The car goes in on Tuesday to get repaired - I can think of better things to waste money of though.

Look like my luck is changing, the police have got the CCTV......[/QUOTE]

Good news hopefully the culprit gets his comeuppance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
The dealer phoned me initially to say they couldn't fit them. ONLY because of what I read on this forum I informed them that the brackets had all got a "specific" position! Left/right, front, middle & back + they would probably have to cut a small piece from one bracket to make it fit around the handbrake module. Only after this info did they realise that they had it totally wrong, as to begin with, they thought there was no way they would fit!!

I'm offering this up as useful info for anyone who fits these bars in the future.


They look brilliant on, are easily worth £200 & are actually fully functional as side steps IMO!!


Happy days.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top