Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a lot of discussion regarding the positives and negatives of Antara ownership. I for one am perfectly happy with my new Antara, but of course in a dream worldI would still make changes to certain parts of it. So, I thought perhaps we could list three things that we would change about the car to make it even more desirable (and you never know influence the next Antara model!)
Also , just to stop it becoming an Antara bashing session to put what we would definately keep!

So I'll go first!

3 things I'd change:

1. More modern info screen on dashboard that doesn't look like its from a 2004 Astra

2. Improved sound system (10 speakers, richer sounding)

3. More MPG (make it 40-50mpg rather than 25-35!)

I love the looks of the Antara (have had lots of compliments and of course the amazing 'heated' seats!!!)

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Hi Rob

Great post. I'm sure we all have something we would like to change about our Antaras.

To be fair the model is well over due for a revamp. The new Antara if its to be called that will be out next year.

I agree about the info screen it is past its sell by date. And mpg obviously matters.

1. The interior dash could be better. I prefer the design of the Captivas dash but both still look dated compared to other SUVs. And make it from better materials that's to squeak as much lol.

2. A proper spare wheel would be nice but will never happen. It seems its going to be run flat tyres or inflation kit from now on.

I'm sure I could think of loads of other things like the folding mirrors working via the ignition although I would still need a switch on the dash otherwise I wouldn't get my Antara in my Garage.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I definately agree about the spare wheel.
My Antara does have one but it is of the "get-you-home" type with limited speed etc. But that is better than the can of shaving foam version. Afriend of mine on Saturday went lightly off-road in his Antarato access a spot on the coast to do a bit of wrasse fishing. He hit something sharp in a puddle and the tyre popped. No worries thought he in a rather delussional way, I will break out the instant tyre-repair gunge.
No sooner had he done that, followed all the instructions and blasted the tyre with this miracle brew than he was left with a punctured tyre with gunge all over the shop. He duly called out the "GRUA", as tow-trucks are known here and was told by the driver/mechnic that this happens all the time!
I ask myself, although the question should go to the motor manufacurers, what is the point of this gunge-pack instead of a real spare tyre when, according to the professionals, they don't work?

Would I change anything else? Well, I could go for the better stereo although I have no complaints about the one the Antara came with. A little more boot space would be helpful too. But don't think that these wishes are complaints. They are not. I am very satisfied with the Antara as she is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't amazing that actually our main problems are such trivial things from time to time? I completely agree with spare tyre but unfortunately it seems to be the way the world is going. I had a BMW with the dreaded 'Run Flats'. Poor ride quality coupled with the expense of having to buy new tyres way too often as they seemed to wear incredibly quickly. As for updated dash, I think there is something classy about the Antara. I worry with modern car design that the 'space craft' like dashboards (aka new Ford Kuga) will date very quickly. BMW have for years adopted a sobre and practical dash layout and people rarely complain about it...

Keep them coming guys!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't get my Antara until tomorrow, but there are still a few things I would like to see done differently.

Top of the list would a real spare wheel. I've already bought one to go in the Antara when I get it. It just doesn't make sense to have an AWD SUV without a spare. Knowing the inflation kit doesn't work on all punctures doesn't help either.

Would like to see the Sat Nav mounted a lot Higher on the dash.

I would also like to see a redesign of the DPF system. It should not be necessary to have as many regenerations as the Antara appears to need. It's wasteful of fuel and can force you to have extra oil changes between your normal service intervals. I have a DPF on my Volvo, and I can honestly say in the 3 years I've had the car, I have been totally unaware of the DPF doing any regeneration cycles.

There are also one or two things I find a little puzzling about the Antara.

Why would you include electrically adjustable seats and not include a memory function?

Why no height adjustment on the front passenger seat?

Why not make it so the folding door mirrors fold automatically when you lock the car?

I know these things are just the result of the design decisions made by VX, and they have to work to a pretty tight price control regime. But some of these things, and probably a few more, seem like stuff that should have been standard installations.

Given I have not yet got my hands on my Antara, I suppose I shouldn't be to judgemental at this stage. I would just add one thing. I was fully aware of all the things I have mentioned when I ordered the Antara. I chose it from a short list of 8 AWD cars and the Antara provided best value for money and had the highest score on my list of criteria that were important to me. So none of the minor problems I have detailed were a surprise to me. I will be getting exactly what I expected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DPF seems to be a huge problem with many modern diesels! There are whole websites dedicated to it!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Had my Antara for 14 months and 14k miles now, things to change:

As already mentioned better quality plastics, mine rattles and squeaks from console, dash and doors

Paint chips at the slightest hint of a stone

Seats squeak where leather meets plastic

Display, on mine defaults to trip computer, I don't want/need reminding of how thirsty it is!

Spare wheel sorted - bought 2nd hand alloy and tyre

Plus point tows caravan very well, like the ride height and it handles well for such a vehicle

Ali

·
Registered
659 Posts
Since my three have already been mentioned in other posts I thought that I would mention but one and no, its not because by carcass has got any bigger

I have been left mystified as to why the width of the driver's seat seems less than it was in the Ford Kuga, despite the cabin of the Antara being much wider.

·
Registered
220 Posts
One other point - it is all too easy to operate the electronic brake by accident. Some kind of protection over the switch would be welcome or move it away from the heated-seats controls. Obviously this is the result of an embarassing moment

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
alimac said:
Had my Antara for 14 months and 14k miles now, things to change:

As already mentioned better quality plastics, mine rattles and squeaks from console, dash and doors

Paint chips at the slightest hint of a stone

Seats squeak where leather meets plastic

Display, on mine defaults to trip computer, I don't want/need reminding of how thirsty it is!

Spare wheel sorted - bought 2nd hand alloy and tyre

Plus point tows caravan very well, like the ride height and it handles well for such a vehicle

Ali
Try some silicone spray on the plastic trim it works a treat.

I'm surprised by the stone chip issue without tempting fate I have had mine for 12 months now and only 2 small chips and I'm a bit obsessive about cleaning etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Grumps

will try the spray. Like you I am a wee bit obsessive re cleaning and external appearance of the car, usually clean after a long run out and every weekend - don't like seeing them dirty!

Spantara re handbrake mine is the opposite, you have to make sure you have applied it, needs a firm pull on the switch, a casual flick doesn't work!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don't think that anyone will disagree with you after writing that "car cleaning" is a bit of a passion with you

ps Is the "redhead" easier to keep clean than the "blond" ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Regarding my friend who got a puncture over the weekend (Saturday to be exact); he is now without transport. He has opted for the larger, 19" wheel size and the tyres have to be ordered from France. He should get his car back from the main dealers here in Vigo tomorrow but, if that fails, he is without transport for the Easter holiday.

IMHO, that is very poor service from the dealer, especially as we know the limitations of the tyre-repair gunge that comes with many of the vehicles. I bet he wishes there was a Kwik-fit here.

All this just supports my stance that there should be a real reserve wheel in the Antara.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Now you lot has had a good moan its my turn

I've got the 19 inch wheels and the shocks could do with being a little bit softer, I agree that the display is out dated, but most of all how do I get speed cameras on the touch and connect??????

·
Registered
782 Posts
rpdavic said:
While I agree there should be proper DRLs on the Antara, you shouldn't imagine that Vauxhall are the only maker using headlights as DRLs.

The top of the range Volvo XC70 I had until Tuesday, when I picked up my Antara, also used the headlights as DRLs. I don't hear anyone shouting at Volvo for conning the public. Maybe it's just another Vauxhall bashing article.

I suspect it might change when the Antara next gets another upgrade.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re the stone chips, it is not just the Antara, all new cars seem to be like this.I have a 61 plate Mazda 6 company car that is covered in chips and scratches. The worst car for this I have ever had. I previously had an 09 plate car exactly the same and it was OK. Speaking to a body repair shop guy, he says the paint has changed to meet new Euro emission standards. They have gone to water based paints in place of Acrylic, this has mad the paints much softer and less resistant to chips and scratches.

Andy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes we all agree a spare wheel is best, but as far as the manufacturers are concerned it is a massive cost reduction for them not to fIt them. There's the logistical cost of getting the wheels to the car plant, paying staff to unload them and then sort them to meet up with the correct car somewhere near the end of the assembly line ,which requires a large conveyor line to get the wheel from the storage area to the line, someone to operate a hoist to put the wheel in the spare wheel well, tighten the securing cap ,fit a jack and wheel brace. Or have the easy option of someone simply fitting a mini compressor with sealant!Edited by: Johnno55

·
Registered
208 Posts
What cost? Antara's are made in a country where man power cost next to nothing, why couldn't they give us a choice as an extra at cost installed in the factory for less than £100 instead of over £700 in the show room as an extra....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts