Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped off my Antara at Vauxhall yesterday to have them look in to a few issues I've been having since buying it in December , here is a list of the garages findings.

Battery went flat after 2.5 weeks - garage found no problems
Engine oil depreciation light coming on - garage found no errors stored in the Ecu so nothing done.
Rear window demister not working - could be an electrical fault but they would need my car all day to check but no courtesy car available for a month. ( I live 40 miles away )
Auto lights just stay on all the time - no answer from the garage yet.
Anti dazzle rear view mirror does not work - could be an electrical fault so again need the car all day.

To be honest my 3 hours wait at the garage were completely wasted and I was less than impressed with the service , when I did get the Antara back the key fob had stopped working completely so I had to open the car manually and the alarm goes off and one of the side lights had also stopped working. I asked them to take it back in and find out what's wrong with the key fob and I was told it was an error with the key and could I just use the spare till they can look in to it further. I've asked the service guy to have the manager phone me on Monday.

Not a very happy Antara owner !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
Hi, I would definitely go to another garage and if they don't sort it, go back to the supplying dealership and tell them it is not fit for purpose and demand a refund. Mention trading standards often helps (although they are a waist of time)

I picked my Antara up in Dec and had no problems what so ever,having covered 1500mls. I think sometimes its the luck of the draw.

good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Is this a new car or used? If new I would definitely reject it and demand a brand new replacement. Don't delay, though, or the law goes against you. We rejected a new Peugeot when a timing sprocket broke after 4 days and 380 miles. Peugeot huffed and puffed, but provided a courtesy car until the new vehicle arrived.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies , it's a used 2012 SE Nav , if it was new I would have no hesitation in handing it back and demanding a new one but as it's used I expected a few minor niggles but nothing like what's been happening. It's the VAuxhall garage that supplied the car that I have been dealing with so I had expected a better service from them. I guess I'll just have to make my feelings clear when the manager calls on Monday. If I didn't work abroad I would have had it back to the garage in December but no doubt having to wait until February will count against me now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
How many miles has it done in its short life? Sounds like they've sold you a dog and they probably know so. But they won't want the model, make or dealer's reputation taking a hit, so be assertive. The car must be of "merchantable quality" to sell it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
We've bought our last 3 cars from Peter Vardy in Perth (all new) but have servicing and warranty work done at Fisken's in Forfar, who are very good.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
Vinny's Dad said:
We've bought our last 3 cars from Peter Vardy in Perth (all new) but have servicing and warranty work done at Fisken's in Forfar, who are very good.
I have bought 2 from the Kirkcaldy branch but both times have been let down by the after sales so would never use them for servicing.

I agree Fiskens are pretty good I use them and if its an option maybe Wayne can let them have a look at his Antara for a second opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I would keep the pressure on the garage that sold the car to fix it. Network Q? Perhaps it was in stock for quite a while, the alarm dragging down the battery? Perhaps the previous owner put substandard oil in it? Perhaps a dodgy alternator explains both the battery and demistor problems? They should check the alternator, charge the battery, change the oil and check the demister fuse for starters. My old Insignia defaulted to sidelights on all the time, Volvo-style, unless you switched them off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
Wayneg88 said:
Thanks for the replies , it's a used 2012 SE Nav , if it was new I would have no hesitation in handing it back and demanding a new one but as it's used I expected a few minor niggles but nothing like what's been happening. It's the VAuxhall garage that supplied the car that I have been dealing with so I had expected a better service from them. I guess I'll just have to make my feelings clear when the manager calls on Monday. If I didn't work abroad I would have had it back to the garage in December but no doubt having to wait until February will count against me now.
Did they do a multi point check that is rigorously done by their highly trained vauxhall teqnichions testing everything from paintwork to engine should have before they passed it onto you if so you should have the list, and you can fall back on it as it is obvious this procedure has not been done properly, this gives you a greater chance to get things put right and threaten them with legal action as they have not fulfilled vauxhalls used car warranty properly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
I always smile when I read people saying "take legal action" "reject it under the SOGA".. I'm not sure if many people have experiance of actually doing this, believe me it's not as easy as a quick letter and a chat with trading standards, to start you hand the car back as you can't reject it and carry on using it, you then need to have a hefty amount of cash to support a legal challenge, because of the price of a car any court action is through a county court so you have to have legal representation, unlike the small claims court where it's cheep and you can represent yourself, so you run the risk of loosing and having all costs on both sides to pay, this could be in the £10k figure if it goes badly wrong, finally yes we have the SOGA but it's not all weighted to the purchaser, a judge will determine the most cost effective solution for all and if you have refused to allow repairs it can be deemed unreasonable. I'm not saying we accept poor quality, far from it I firmly believe in getting what you pay for, hence having a bit of knowledge on using the SOGA after buying a Bailey caravan that could only be described as a towable shower block it leaks that often, but it's important to understand what your heading into before trying rejection, mentioning legal action etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
SJG said:
I always smile when I read people saying "take legal action" "reject it under the SOGA".. I'm not sure if many people have experiance of actually doing this, believe me it's not as easy as a quick letter and a chat with trading standards, to start you hand the car back as you can't reject it and carry on using it, you then need to have a hefty amount of cash to support a legal challenge, because of the price of a car any court action is through a county court so you have to have legal representation, unlike the small claims court where it's cheep and you can represent yourself, so you run the risk of loosing and having all costs on both sides to pay, this could be in the £10k figure if it goes badly wrong, finally yes we have the SOGA but it's not all weighted to the purchaser, a judge will determine the most cost effective solution for all and if you have refused to allow repairs it can be deemed unreasonable. I'm not saying we accept poor quality, far from it I firmly believe in getting what you pay for, hence having a bit of knowledge on using the SOGA after buying a Bailey caravan that could only be described as a towable shower block it leaks that often, but it's important to understand what your heading into before trying rejection, mentioning legal action etc.
I for one have done this in the past with Renault and won my case with a Mr Japp With costs I also had the choice of either a full refund or a replacement car, as thier was a fault with the breaking system and I nearly had a miscarriage due to the stress of my breaks not working on two occasions and shooting through a cross roads and nearly being wiped out this car from new was £20 odd grand top of the range Megan Coupe at the time.
I agree trading standards are rubbish and so are the motor trade federation but if you keep up the pressure and as we did (my husband and ) protest outside the premises of the dealerships as well as arriving at their head quarters, contacting relevant news agency's you do get results. So for me and my family backing down is not the answer when something is wrong you have to fight for what is write and be strong and positive, it worked for us.
Never say never or I will try these are not options in my volcabury. Edited by: wilma08
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
All the defects can be rectified under the vx warranty, so I would takeit to another vx garage.

If you still have problems, I would speak to the citizens advise
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
If you are dealing with Peter Vardy I found that their after sales service is crap if you want anything done speak to the service manager and if that doesn't work speak to the sales manager or as I have had to do speak to the dealer principle.

One way to get things moving quickly if you use twitter is to tweet a message to Peter vardys account and you will get a response very quickly. It worked with me when I was told I would get a call from the dealer and nobody would call back despite promising they would so after a few days of calls from me and promises of return calls them which never happened I bypassed them with a tweet to @PeterVardy and within an hour and a few tweets later the dealer was on the phone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is Peter Vardy I am dealing with and I have to agree the after sales service has been very poor , the first problem I had was the car was supplied with no service book and I had to chase up the sales guy who sold me the car 3 times before he finally sent me a duplicate and even then it wasn't filled in properly as he couldn't remember the mileage for when the second service was done !! I'm planning to speak to the service manager tomorrow and will make it clear I want everything working as it should.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
Wayneg88 said:
It is Peter Vardy I am dealing with and I have to agree the after sales service has been very poor , the first problem I had was the car was supplied with no service book and I had to chase up the sales guy who sold me the car 3 times before he finally sent me a duplicate and even then it wasn't filled in properly as he couldn't remember the mileage for when the second service was done !! I'm planning to speak to the service manager tomorrow and will make it clear I want everything working as it should.
Sounds about right for Peter Vardy.

If you don't get any joy remember speak to the sales manager and then the managing director and if you get nowhere Peter Vardy himself. You will get it fixed but it's all the crap you have to go through to get it done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
[/QUOTE]

I for one have done this in the past with Renault and won my case with a Mr Japp With costs I also had the choice of either a full refund or a replacement car, as thier was a fault with the breaking system and I nearly had a miscarriage due to the stress of my breaks not working on two occasions and shooting through a cross roads and nearly being wiped out this car from new was £20 odd grand top of the range Megan Coupe at the time.
I agree trading standards are rubbish and so are the motor trade federation but if you keep up the pressure and as we did (my husband and ) protest outside the premises of the dealerships as well as arriving at their head quarters, contacting relevant news agency's you do get results. So for me and my family backing down is not the answer when something is wrong you have to fight for what is write and be strong and positive, it worked for us.
Never say never or I will try these are not options in my volcabury. [/QUOTE]

Is that Douglas Japp Wilma? I used to play ice hockey with him some years back. He's a Good guy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
I for one have done this in the past with Renault and won my case with a Mr Japp With costs I also had the choice of either a full refund or a replacement car, as thier was a fault with the breaking system and I nearly had a miscarriage due to the stress of my breaks not working on two occasions and shooting through a cross roads and nearly being wiped out this car from new was £20 odd grand top of the range Megan Coupe at the time.
I agree trading standards are rubbish and so are the motor trade federation but if you keep up the pressure and as we did (my husband and ) protest outside the premises of the dealerships as well as arriving at their head quarters, contacting relevant news agency's you do get results. So for me and my family backing down is not the answer when something is wrong you have to fight for what is write and be strong and positive, it worked for us.
Never say never or I will try these are not options in my volcabury. [/QUOTE]

Is that Douglas Japp Wilma? I used to play ice hockey with him some years back. He's a Good guy [/QUOTE]

It might have been I cannot remember his first name just his surname he practise in Bathgate at the time really nice chap
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top