Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing a knocking noise in the engine for 4 months, it only happens when the car is idle and the engine is warm. Its currently back in the dealership for its fourth visit but they have been unable to locate the problem. The noise 'knocks' for 4 beats, 4 times then stops for about 5 seconds then repeats the sequence until i start moving again. The vehicle is 15 months old and has had its annual service - Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your issue. its a difficult one. Normally any noises are when cold and get better when it warms up.

It really could be any one of a number of things so hopefully your dealer gets to the bottom of it which shouldn't be that difficult or you need to get Vauxhall involved. You could also take it to another VX dealer for a second opinion if thats an option.

Post back and keep us updated on what they find.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Satch270 said:
I have been experiencing a knocking noise in the engine for 4 months, it only happens when the car is idle and the engine is warm. Its currently back in the dealership for its fourth visit but they have been unable to locate the problem. The noise 'knocks' for 4 beats, 4 times then stops for about 5 seconds then repeats the sequence until i start moving again. The vehicle is 15 months old and has had its annual service - Any ideas??? 
What kind of knocking sound is it ? Does it effect your exceleration and speed and sorry for the bad spelling if so it could be your turbo pipe has come lose it happened to my husbands Cheviot Captiva the bracket had broken off thus the pipe was not fixed to the turbo correctly it took 2 to 3 hours for Chevy to fix it once the part was ordered his car was only 15 months old to

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your messages -

Car has been in my local garage for nearly three weeks now, the fuel injection pump was replaced but the problem remains the same. I've been informed today that a design technician from Vauxhall Luton is coming to view the car as they say they've not come across this problem before, so fingers crossed it will finally get sorted.

I will post the diagnosis when I get it.

Just been reading about the recall, I didn't receive that letter, car does make a lot of fan cooling noise on a regular basis, better get them to check that as well!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: It's now been with the garage for four weeks, the garage and Vauxhall UK don't know what the problem is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry all for delay in posting diagnosis.

Finally after eight weeks in the garage, two strip downs of the engine they discovered the problem was a leaking valve in the cylinder head - apparently this is the first reported case in Europe!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad they finally got to the bottom of it.

Though after all this time, strip downs and technicians would surely been cheaper for them to drop in a new engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, interested to hear how your car is now, as had my new car 3weeks and after 1500 miles this knocking/vibration could be felt and heard when slowing down and sitting idle. Been in once and they said it was the Power steering pipe knocking against the Bulkhead? After 10 days started again, car due to go back in tomorrow, getting worried about what damage it is doing to my car! Might suggest the problem you had for them to check.

Cheers [:)]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, the knocking noise has completely gone. Not convinced the car is fully right still but its running! My car also had the vibration, definitely sounds like the same problem. I would get your garage to contact mine - Brandish in Coventry, best person to speak to is Scott.

Good luck, hope it gets sorted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,What was the final outcome for the Knocking noise as my Antara has developed this problem and has been at the dealership for 4 weeks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello,Just wondered if you got to the bottom of your engine knocking, my Antara has the same fault and has currently been at the dealership for 4 weeks with no solution as yet!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, after more than 23 weeks with the dealership and finally at the Luton factory they discovered the problem was the fuel injectors. The first ones that were replaced were faulty and the 2nd ones were programmed incorrectly. I have had the car back now since the start of August and so far no noise. So if they do replace them ensure they are programmed correctly! Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,Thanks for the information, the dealership have already gone down the injector route and tried some others, but i will pass on the detail as they are now going to try and request a new engine from Vauxhall!
It must be like having a new car after half a year without it! and mine only been in 6 weeks!
I will let you know the outcome.Thanks once again

·
Registered
20 Posts
So after 10 weeks and 5 days the wife's Antara is finally back from the dealership! The engine knock when idle and the car was warmed up has been put down to a faulty Engine Wiring Harness (How this stops the engine from knocking is anyone's guess!) this was traced to the electrical part of the EGR valve. To get to this point though we tried 2 lots of injectors,the possibility of leaking or sticking valves in the cylinder head and an EGR valve and ECU changed. Apparently the Technician dealing with it has had "sleepless nights" with very little or NO support from Vauxhall. I find it absolutely frustrating that Vauxhall can produce a vehicle and offer no help or support to the Dealership who sell THEIR cars to customers!It is as though we have been given the cars for free!Well we will see how it goes, I just can't help thinking what next looking at some of the horrors reported on here!
Thankfully I took out extended warranty and would strongly recommend anyone with one of these cars to do the same.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It's never easy to tell definitely from a short video clip but it seems like a faulty injector, either No 1 or 2 cylinder. This can be caused by a faulty loom connection, they're usually very tight fit and get a bit of twisting around during maintenance. Try the loom connections first but you may need an injector.
Edited by: Victor

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,
It sounds exactly as mine did read what I put on the previous post on 16th Dec 2014 but to me it sounds like the EGR wiring harness I went down the injector route twice and it wasn't these.

Vauxhall tried out £6000.00 worth of parts on the car and it took 12 weeks to find the fault. Luckily this was covered under warranty otherwise the bill would have been massive.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
In fairness to VX they found the fault in the end. I have experience with Ford/Evans Halshaw in Altrincham and they would have fobbed you off. They all do that sir, I was told :(
Edited by: chrisg

·
Registered
2 Posts
As far as i can guess as Satch270 and Gyrolaser related above, changing injectors is not really the solution. More then this, when they diagnose injectors with the MDI/Tech2 interface there is no injectors problem and from my opinion is true! In Romania there is another person with a problem similar to mine, the same sound, the service also changed injector 1 and injector 4 but after 2 weeks the knocking sound reappeared!I tend to believe that there is an electric problem, related to cables (faulty cables, corroded or rusted cables, cables soaked with oil, faulty loom connections/connectors, loose connections). Why do injectors reacts like that with that knocking sound, makes me think that electric faults like short-circuits or some similar effects from harness, disturbs the solenoid from inside the injector (the injector opens and close because of an electromagnetic field generated inside it). An the electromagnetic field is maybe very sensible to faulty cables which generates electrical noise and harmonics.
Gyrolaser, can u help me with some pictures where is located the harness that troubled your car? I just want to open the hood and identify the location in order to verify it in detail!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts