Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Does anyone know the easiest way to fit rear parking sensors? I have a tow bar fitted so will need to disable them when towing. As the cruise control stalk was easy to do I wondered if there is a wiring plug to connect straight into.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The standard parking sensors automatically disable if a trailer is plugged in to a properly wired 13 pin socket. The bigger issue is whether or not the sensors are there, if not, I do not think there is any easy way of fitting them.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hi, I fitted a set and wired them into the towing socket, piece of cake.As for disabling, I position my caravan with the motor mover.
I'm sure if you went to a local auto electrician, he could wire a relay to stop the power to the sensor unit when you engage reverse.
My kit cost £14. Fitted to my daughter's car last year as a guinee pig and found them to be reliable. If you fit them yourself, when fitting the sensor DONT push the centre section in, push them in by the outer ring.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reverse-Rear-Parking-Sensor-Aid-Kit-with-Audio-Buzzer-Alarm-4-Reversing-Sensors-/141038761146?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item20d690b4ba

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi Chris,Not sure I follow your reasoning on this.
Surely the reason the reversing sensors are disabled when towing is so they don't detect the caravan as an obstacle and beep constantly, a little annoying on a long tow. Also don't they need power when you engage reverse, that is whythey are usually wired from the reversing lights on an aftermarket fitting.
Other that that it all makes sense.

Dave

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Sorry, not made myself clear. The power to the sensor unit was taken from the reverse light wire, so it only works when reversing. Yes it does bleep when reversing with caravan on, but as I said I generally use the motor mover.Hope this is clearer.

Edit. The unit only has 2 wires pos. and neg. so I used the reverse wire as a pos. and the other was earthed.

Edited by: chrisg

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Yip I have fitted the similar sensors to my daughters car. very easy drill the hole connect to the reversing light and has the display on the dash as well as the beeping. It would be very easy to fit a switch between the reversing light and the power wire so they can be switched off while towing or as chris suggested get auto electrician to fit a relay

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all help. My wife seems to think its a bad idea for me to fit as something always goes wrong!! May pay 118 to get them fitted rather than a new bumper or even worse. Oh she of little faith

·
Registered
15 Posts
chrisg said:
Hi, I fitted a set and wired them into the towing socket, piece of cake.As for disabling, I position my caravan with the motor mover.
I'm sure if you went to a local auto electrician, he could wire a relay to stop the power to the sensor unit when you engage reverse.
My kit cost £14. Fitted to my daughter's car last year as a guinee pig and found them to be reliable. If you fit them yourself, when fitting the sensor DONT push the centre section in, push them in by the outer ring.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reverse-Rear-Parking-Sensor-Aid-Kit-with-Audio-Buzzer-Alarm-4-Reversing-Sensors-/141038761146?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item20d690b4ba

These look good but which colour sensors to go for ? My antara is white with black bumper but not sure bumper is actually black, might be dark grey ..lol Anyone bought these give any suggestions ?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
When towing the parking sensors only come on when you reverse with caravan .
But how far do you reverse a caravan .it you have fitted by a dealer they make them so they don't come on
When reversing with caravan .or like some one said put a switch or get a motor mover .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quick question....I have a tow bar fitted...will this affect the sensors ? If so what height do I install the sensors at ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts