Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've just got my electricity back on 10 minutes ago after being off since 1am. You don't realise just how much of a drag a day can be until you don't have any electricity.

I do have a small generator, so was able to boil the kettle and heat stuff up in the microwave. The electricity from the genny is not clean enough to try to run computers or TVs, so I've been watching movies on my tablet and listening to the radio all day. Glad I don't have to do that every day.

Not sure how strong the winds were at my place last night, probably gusting over 80 mph.

In any case, it was strong enough to blow some tiles off my roof, strip the felt of one of my sheds and knock over a couple of trees in the garden.

Contacted the insurers, but still waiting for their contractor to contact me so the roof can be inspected. Tried to get a local roofer, but none of them were answering their phones today. Probably up to their eyes in roof damage.

The only road out of my place was blocked by dozens of blown over trees early this morning, but they were cleared fairly quickly so I could get out for a paper and some shopping.

Everywhere I went there were lots of trees down.

A really wild night.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not so good. Father in-law lives in Invergordon, the power there has not long been put back on. We had it very wild here but no damage. I was on nightshift and drove through at the peak of it, car was getting blown all over the road and visibility was very poor due to the torrential rain.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hope everything gets cleared up and sorted for all affected by the weather, we had it fairly easy in Lancashire with only 40 to 50mph gusts.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to add insult to injury, not only have I got a hole in my roof, I now have 8 inches of snow on the roof as well.

God knows what will happen when it all thaws and starts pouring through the hole in the roof.

It's winters like this that could really make you want to look for a nearby gas oven to put your head into.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had similar a few years ago with regards to a missing roof tile/hole. I ended up climbing into the loft and taping a feed bag over the gap from the inside, just so as the snow/melt water ran down the outside of the bitumen sheet and away from the loft space.
Good luck up there!

-LaZ-

·
Registered
77 Posts
Inchindown said:
....look for a nearby gas oven to put your head into.

Sorry to dampen this, but that won't work any more. No methane in natural gas so you can't die of poisoining from breathing it.

However, leaving on and applying ignition source should end it for you. Quite possibly for anyone else within a 10 metre radius, so do think of others in your hour of desperation.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think you meant there's no Carbon Monoxide in gas supplied to households now...gas is exclusively Methane, with added odour to make sure you can smell it, since naturally occurring Methane has no odour. Pretty dangerous stuff and very flammable! Depending on the scale of the leak a Methane explosion can be pretty bad...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You evil man but it did make me laugh and choke on my crips

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Oh I had methan too the wind off the dugs bum yuck, it was funny though

·
Registered
121 Posts
I could tell a story about methanol, but it's a long one, so I won't. Suffice to say it's just as lethal as its gaseous relation...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Is it funny if so please tell, I have a strange sense of humour

·
Registered
137 Posts
stephenpm said:
I think you meant there's no Carbon Monoxide in gas supplied to households now...gas is exclusively Methane, with added odour to make sure you can smell it, since naturally occurring Methane has no odour. Pretty dangerous stuff and very flammable! Depending on the scale of the leak a Methane explosion can be pretty bad...
There's no carbon monoxide supplied (as in town gas) but you can still produce it from incomplete combustion of natural gas, hence the CO monitors: dangerous stuff.

Natural gas consists mostly of methane which is (marsh gas / fire-damp) almost non-flammable so it also has ethane, propane, butane and higher alkanes in the mix.

Sorry, grad level chemistry, post-grad physics and engineering.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'll bow to your superior knowledge on this! I studied higher level chemistry and sixth Year level physics but declined a university physics place in favour of psychology and maths. Much of my chemistry knowledge was acquired from some more elicit experiments in our sixth year lab...and I think I'll stop there!! Haha!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some good news - At last.
Managed to get a local roofer out to fix my roof this morningafter tiles were blown off during the recent storms.

There was still some snow on the roof, but he went up anyway and replaced the missing tiles. I already had some spare tiles so did not need to buy any. Only took him about 10 minute after he put his ladders up to finish the job.

When he finished, I asked him how much I owed him. I nearly fell over when he said £10.

I thought I must have misheard him so I asked if he was sure about the price. He was. I didn't have a tenner on my, so I gave £20 and told him to have a pint on me.

Makes the heart warm to think there is a tradesman out there who doesn't try to rip you off at a desperate time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts